Scrapyard cairn

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Stuart, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Tags:

  2. AndyR

    AndyR Guest

    At first I thought 'scrapyard cairn? That has to be the cairnwell', but
    looking at your photo, I don't recognise it.

    The cairnwell really is a scrapyard, there's more industrial junk and
    buildings up there than you can shake a stick at!

  3. Runningfox

    Runningfox Guest

  4. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:40:01 GMT, "Runningfox" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >>
    >> No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    >I seem to recall a cairn like that somewhere on the Carn Gorm - Carn Mairg
    >ridge north of Glen Lyon. Is it on Meall Garbh?

    I was about to suggest exactly the same thing. If the answer is No
    then it's certainly a rival for the one in the photo!

    S.
    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Runningfox wrote:

    >"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >>
    >> No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    >I seem to recall a cairn like that somewhere on the Carn Gorm - Carn Mairg
    >ridge north of Glen Lyon. Is it on Meall Garbh?

    That's the one. I'd forgotten about it.

    http://www.challenge284.org.uk/carn_gorm6.html

    England's version is on Harter Fell above Haweswater.

    <http://www.stridingedge.net/Wainwright%20Fells/A-L%20fells/Harter%20Fell%20(Mardale).htm>

  6. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:09:26 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >
    >No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... The "parent" marilyn Carn Gorm is in the
    background.

    I hid behind the thing a couple of weeks ago, trying to get
    overtrousers on in a blizzard. I did not photograph the cairn! (no
    hands)

    Richard Webb

  7. On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:40:01 +0000, Runningfox wrote:

    > "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >> http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >>
    >> No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    > I seem to recall a cairn like that somewhere on the Carn Gorm - Carn Mairg
    > ridge north of Glen Lyon. Is it on Meall Garbh?

    I think the one in Glen Lyon is actually quite a bit bigger than the one
    in the photo. I was there on a very windy day in 2003 and remember it as
    like some sort of enormous 'iron bonfire'. I remember it being well over
    head height.

    I usually detest cairns, but added a couple of bits of the old fence to
    this one, feeling it was a better to keep all the crud in the one place.
    Took lots of photos, but not of that, so I couldn't check.

    Also 'lost' the dog that day for about 20 mins in the clag going from
    there to Carn Gorm, was seriously panicking when finally (after a lot of
    speculative yelling) she bounded up with what seemed like a big grin and
    wagging tail.

    --
    pjk

  8. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:09:26 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    > >http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    > >
    > >No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    > Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... The "parent" marilyn Carn Gorm is in the
    > background.
    >
    > I hid behind the thing a couple of weeks ago, trying to get
    > overtrousers on in a blizzard. I did not photograph the cairn! (no
    > hands)
    >
    > Richard Webb

    Yep, everyone is right, indeed it was Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... Looks
    even worse in Phil Cooks picture!

    some other pics from day (600k ish)
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/xcvb/

    + full interactive pan from Creag Mhor (460k)
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/creagmhor.htm

    Interesting day weather wise, you will note from pic 1 the clear blue skies,
    ½hr later on reaching top of Carn Gorm we were in thick low cloud (2nd & 3rd
    pics shows this cloud starting to form). Needed to nav to next top Meall
    Garbh when cloud started to lift and break, the cloud continued to lift and
    break for the rest of the day!

  9. Stuart wrote:

    >"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >

    >>On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:09:26 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >>>http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >>>
    >>>No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?
    >>>

    >>Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... The "parent" marilyn Carn Gorm is in the
    >>background.
    >>
    >>I hid behind the thing a couple of weeks ago, trying to get
    >>overtrousers on in a blizzard. I did not photograph the cairn! (no
    >>hands)
    >>
    >>Richard Webb
    >>

    >Yep, everyone is right, indeed it was Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... Looks
    >even worse in Phil Cooks picture!
    >
    >some other pics from day (600k ish)
    > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/xcvb/
    >
    >+ full interactive pan from Creag Mhor (460k)
    >http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/hillwalking/pans/creagmhor.htm
    >
    >Interesting day weather wise, you will note from pic 1 the clear blue skies,
    >½hr later on reaching top of Carn Gorm we were in thick low cloud (2nd & 3rd
    >pics shows this cloud starting to form). Needed to nav to next top Meall
    >Garbh when cloud started to lift and break, the cloud continued to lift and
    >break for the rest of the day!

    Wonderful vistas!
    What sort of camera was used?

    George

  10. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    >> >This has to be the worst summit cairn in Scotland
    >> >http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/q1.jpg
    >> >
    >> >No Prizes, but can anyone name it ?

    >Yep, everyone is right, indeed it was Meall Garbh.(Rannoch)..... Looks
    >even worse in Phil Cooks picture!

    It's not mine! I googled.

    This is the only picture I have online from my walk over those hills:

    http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/pans/pan.htm (Java applet)

    or http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/pans/pan.jpg for the plain JPEG

  11. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:58:05 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Interesting day weather wise, you will note from pic 1 the clear blue skies,
    >½hr later on reaching top of Carn Gorm we were in thick low cloud (2nd & 3rd
    >pics shows this cloud starting to form). Needed to nav to next top Meall
    >Garbh when cloud started to lift and break, the cloud continued to lift and
    >break for the rest of the day!

    I had some amazing conditions when I was up there
    http://www.simon-caldwell.co.uk/photos/scotland/glen-lyon/index.htm

    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  12. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:58:05 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Interesting day weather wise, you will note from pic 1 the clear blue

    skies,
    > >½hr later on reaching top of Carn Gorm we were in thick low cloud (2nd &

    3rd
    > >pics shows this cloud starting to form). Needed to nav to next top Meall
    > >Garbh when cloud started to lift and break, the cloud continued to lift

    and
    > >break for the rest of the day!
    > >

    > I had some amazing conditions when I was up there
    > http://www.simon-caldwell.co.uk/photos/scotland/glen-lyon/index.htm

    Very very impressive!

    Do you have the exact date for these pics, so as I can compare the
    conditions with the weather charts for that day!

  13. On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:39:01 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do you have the exact date for these pics, so as I can compare the
    >conditions with the weather charts for that day!

    It was February 1999. On a Saturday. I think it was 6th though it
    might have been 13th. I'll see if I can work it out but don't hold
    your breath!

    S.

    --
    Stop ID cards and the Database State
    http://www.no2id.net/

  14. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:39:01 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Do you have the exact date for these pics, so as I can compare the
    > >conditions with the weather charts for that day!

    > It was February 1999. On a Saturday. I think it was 6th though it
    > might have been 13th. I'll see if I can work it out but don't hold
    > your breath!
    >
    > S.

    Its looking like the 13th to me, however I am not 100%
    Was it a real raw day with persistant northerly?

    The following two links are the pressure charts for the relevant days

    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1999/Rrea00119990206.gif

    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1999/Rrea00119990213.gif

  15. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

  16. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

  17. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:38:00 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:39:01 -0000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Do you have the exact date for these pics, so as I can compare the
    >> >conditions with the weather charts for that day!

    >> It was February 1999. On a Saturday. I think it was 6th though it
    >> might have been 13th. I'll see if I can work it out but don't hold
    >> your breath!
    >>
    >> S.
    >>

    >Its looking like the 13th to me, however I am not 100%
    >Was it a real raw day with persistant northerly?

    It wasn't *that* cold or windy. The following weekend was though,
    when I did the hills east of Drumochter but had to give in half way
    round as the gap between my skis and boots was filling with snow on
    every step! And IIRC the Sunday of the following weekend was windier
    still, so windy that I drove home even though the sun was out.

    It was 6 years ago and it's only because of what else was going on in
    my life at the time that I can even pinpoint the month!

    S.