scratch on suspension fork slider

G

scratch on upper stanchion tube
Select another forum:- Passion - Beginners Corner BMX Brake Time Downhill - Freeride Everything Drivetrain General Discussion IMBA - Save the Trails Interbike Lets Talk about Shocks Photo Caption Contest Riding & Training Techniques Save some Weight Singlespeed Tooltime Trials What Bike to Buy Where are the Best Deals Wheels & Wheel Building
Reply | Search | Help
(registration not required to post)

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic Previous Reply | Next Reply
Forums Lets Talk about Shocks scratch on upper stanchion tube

Current Message

chickenman Jun-25-02, 08:11 AM
"scratch on upper stanchion tube"
I just bought a brand new fox float fork. It is the smoothest, best damped suspension fork spring, or air I have ever tried. I was riding it (for only the third time) and I crashed. Not only did I tear up the sticker, and scratch the awesome matte grey finish, but I put a little scratch on the upper stanchions. The scratch is a little less than a centimeter long, and pretty shallow. I am wondering if the scratch will effect performace by tearing up the seals and/or bushing, or allowing dirt to pass through the seals and into the fork. Does anybody know how this will effect my fork, or how to remedy the problem?

I don't know...

I would presume so, but don't take my word on it...

Interesting question, keep me posted.

:) Good Luck!

chickenman43 scratch + dent =problemscratch – dent =no problem

If the fork stanchion is dented dust and debris will enter your shock and thus impair performance, to fix this will cost you many $$$.

If it’s only a scratch there will obviously be burrs, these could damage your fork seals, get yourself some waterpaper and sand down the scratch till it’s nice and smooth and you should be fine.