Scratched carbon fiber frame Q

Meek One

May 5, 2004
I am looking at a carbon fiber frame that has a small naked scratch through the clearcoat on it that has not been covered up about 1cm long and 4mm wide along the top tube. The frame is roughly a year old. If I buy it, what can I cover it up with (strong nail polish)? How much strength could have been lost since the scratch (assume a yr)? Is it safe to ride? Thanks for your advice.

Meek One said:
I am looking at a carbon fiber frame that has a small naked scratch through the clearcoat on it that has not been covered up about 1cm long and 4mm wide along the top tube. The frame is roughly a year old. If I buy it, what can I cover it up with (strong nail polish)? How much strength could have been lost since the scratch (assume a yr)? Is it safe to ride? Thanks for your advice.
Clear Varathane works well. Mask off the area around the scratch and spray several coats on the scratch. Remove the masking and using 800 grit wet sand paper carefully sand down the edges where you masked off the area. I have done this on some record levers and a carbon seat stay. It is very difficult to see any evidence of the scratches.

Meek One said:

Meek is right. To answer your other question it's perfectly safe. Contrary to myths currently flying around, a small scratch like the one you have is insconsequential. It's only a cosmetic thing. Clear nail polish will also work. I suggest you clean your frame around the scratch with alcohol first, making sure the area is completely dry before you apply the clear polish. It's an art, and well-done the scratch will dissapear. Only if you know where to look and inspect carefully will you be able to see it.

For surface scratches I always us clear nail varnish...sometimes I apply it with a Tooth Pick...other times a brush...but if there's any build up afterwards I use some very fine wet and dry sandpaper, then auto rubbing compound, or semi-chrome polish, and finally a coat of silicon auto wax...the scratches then become completely invisible...I can't even find them myself the next day...well, 2 Days later, see the note below...

I also use white nail polish for scratches on the white appliques (Plenty of thos on my Cannondale, and black for the Black...
NOTE: Let the varnish dry for 24 hrs before sanding and buffing...

as long as the scratch hasn't gone through to the Fibers you'll be OK...I've been making some CF Parts myself lately (not for bikes though)...

Great way to save a few $$$ on a scratched up bike if you can practice and make it perfect yourself!!

Meek One said: