Scratched my new bike, should I worry?

RyanScribner

Mar 22, 2012
I put a medium 6 inch scratch on the frame of my new bike. Are we supposed to keep them immaculate or use them as intended?

Keeping your bike clean and undamaged is desireable. In most cases, the intended use of a bicycle is riding it, but crashes and accidents do occur. If your bike frame is aluminum or carbon fiber, you don't need to anything if you don't want to, providing that the scratch hasn't compromised the sttructural integrity of the frame. If you have a steel frame and the scratch is through the primer coat to the bare metal, you might want to clean the area that the scratch is in and use touch up paint to cover the bare metal to prevent rusting.

Originally Posted by RyanScribner .

Are we supposed to keep them immaculate or use them as intended?
Yes.

Accidents happen.... Sorry your bike got scratched.. hope you didn't. Bicycles [and cyclists] do get damaged that is normal. Don't beat yourself up over a scratch.

But it is best to keep your bicycle clean and well maintained. The speeds and situations we put these machines [and by extension ourselves] through has a level of risk. If the bicycle is not properly inspected and cared for that risk [for me] would be too great. The cleaning, oiling, and wiping down the bike doesn't just keep the bicycle looking like new [or in some cases even like a work or art]. Cleaning and maintaining a bicycle keeps it functioning properly and helps the user to find signs of damage and wear.

the sooner the first scratch happens, the less you'll be worried about it. They happen various ways, most often due to our own mistakes. Cover it so it doesn't cause a problem, and keep the bike clean. Then ride it. it won't be the last scratch. I'd wonder if a pristine bike was even being enjoyed -or enjoyed at the level the rider claims :)

Originally Posted by RyanScribner .

I put a medium 6 inch scratch on the frame of my new bike. Are we supposed to keep them immaculate or use them as intended?

If you're a collector then keep it immaculate, if not then don't worry about it. General use of any bike will cause damage over time, no different to anything else you own.