scratching the surface for an entry level road bike. questions about STI etc.

pisiklet

Nov 17, 2010
hi. i went to the local trek store and check out their bikes. my current bike has a downtube shifter so i am really impressed by the STI shifters. looked at 1.1 and 1.2 but somehow didn't feel comfortable with the set up that downshifting is not integrated with the break lever. in order to downshift you have to come off the drops and use the little tumb switch on the hood. is that something which becomes natural after a while? to me it seemed that it would worth to pay some extra to get at least tiagra(1.5 has it)
i am most impressed by the 2.1 in my price range. it has a 105 component. if there isn't huge jump on price it may make sense to go with it. one think i didn't like about trek is their color options. i looked into cannondale bikes and liked caad8 series as well. they seem to have more lively color like red(red goes faster:) )
another point got me confuse is triple crank against compact. i read somewhere that triple shifts slightly slower. can someone explain how "compact" works compared to triple?. all i know is that triple has the extra crank to help climbing hills but don't now anything about compact.
please put your ideas about my initial bike search movement. thanks in advance. i am 35 average fit. riding not very often but willing to. i would like to gradually get conditioned and get faster, trimming some weight. main goal is having fun. not into racing or etc. for now. i wanted to state those in case it helps to give a profile what would be best for me.

With Shimano, only the Sora shifters have the thumb button for down shifting. From Tiagra on up, you have the second lever for down shifting.

A compact chainset is a double, usually with a 50 tooth and a 38 tooth chain ring. This chainset combined with the correct cassette will nearly replicate the gearing often found on a triple. The advantage is that you are carrying less weight, one chainring. The triple does have a slightly slower shift, but not enough for you to notice it. The biggest problem with a triple is that the lowest gears are hardly ever used. There are also some trim issues that can crop up if the front derailluer is not correctly adjusted.

Don't focus your bike search on two brands. There are a lot of different bike makers out there. You can check out the reviews of the newer bikes on http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/PLS_5668crx.aspx .

For what it's worth. I always liked the thumb lever on Sora. I did not find it to be that much of a nuisance.

thanks for the info. i am absolutely sure now for the compact. triple is not for me. i will be doing some test rides with the available bikes around here and there. that may help to get the idea about the components groups that has the tumb button instead of second lever for downshift. still not sure about how important it is.

I would recommend that you try to get the 105 components if at all possible. I've ridden quite few miles on my 105 and I still love the way it shifts. Given proper care and adjustment, and replacing the chain and cassette when necessary, those components will last a long time. I've never had a triple, and in fact I'm about to put a compact double on my bike. I've been able to ride just about anywhere I wanted using the 39/53 double chainrings. But now that I'm a bit older, I think the compact will be even better. I doubt that I'll miss the higher end cogs. Good luck.

I'd also have to recommend 105 or better. However, the thumb shifter is fine. I used to have one when I was running campy. The thumb shifter is low down enough that you don't have to get out of the drops to shift (unless you have a ridiculously short thumb!).

Most compacts I've seen are 50/34, not 50/38. Depending on your fitness level and the terrain you plan to ride, you may find a triple more appropriate to your needs. As an alternative, your LBS may be willing to swap out the rear cassette for a wider range one (something like a 12/27 or 12/28) if you ask. Nothing wrong with Campy, and they all have thumb shifters. And my son's Sora with thumb shifters has been trouble-free, unlike my several Dura Ace shifters which have become inoperable and are unrepairable. While considering shifters, you may also want to take a look at SRAM, which some prefer.

since my technical knowledge is limited, i probably wouldn't ask for any swap in case it turns out to be a wrong decision. i went to the specialized dealer today. they have nice bikes but little pricey compared to trek. so far its between trek and cannondale(caad). after reading the posts i am convinced that tumb button is not much of a problem but still worth to pay the extra dough for 105. if i decide on trek its probably 2.1. if cannondales was still be made in USA, that would have been a big help for decision making.

after watching tons of youtube videos and reading online, i started to believe that cannondale caad9 5(105 components) is a way to go. i really love that hand made in usa sticker as well. they seem to have much better frame compare to other bikes at the same material category. people claim they lighter but i can't exactly say how much. its still between trek 2.1 and cannondale caad9 5. i feel better that i was able to narrow it down to 2 bikes. my debates continuous.

i ve decided on CAAD 9 5(2010) . Good frame decent components. my order is completed can't wait to pick it up. i pick the charcoal color after i have seen it in person. thanks for the help choosing the bike which was mostly between trek 2.1 and caad9 5. for me it was harder than buying a car. happy thanksgiving.

Good luck with your new bike. The CAAD 9 5 is a nice bike with solid components. You should get many years of riding out of your new bike. I like the charcoal color post some pictures when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by pisiklet .

i ve decided on CAAD 9 5(2010) . Good frame decent components. my order is completed can't wait to pick it up. i pick the charcoal color after i have seen it in person. thanks for the help choosing the bike which was mostly between trek 2.1 and caad9 5. for me it was harder than buying a car. happy thanksgiving.

Nice choice, Cannondale are among the best from makers in my opinion. Remember to post a photo in this thread Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif