Screen resolution?

chodadog

May 30, 2006
What screen resolution do you use? I'm busy working on a cycling website and I'm trying to decide what resolution to build it in. Most cyclists I know are quite tech savvy and I figure it would be safe to design a wesbite with optimization for 1024 pixels in mind. But I figured I'd start a poll here just to be sure.

So, again, what screen resolution do you use?

I'm not sure what i am, but i recomend that you get a resolution that looks nice and clean, but that computors that are dated, or a few years old can still load. Then that would open up more people being able to see your site. of coarse, thats my opinion...

1280x854, all Safari.

Please do the site to web standards. Don't dumb it down and do it to IE standards. If you do it to web standards, then it will work with all browsers.

I've been creating websites using nothing but notepad for 8 or 9 years now. I'm all about web standards! It's not browser compatibility I'm concerned about. Just wondering what resolution to optimize for, that's all.

And I know you can make a website that will work in just about any browser, but you lose a lot accomodating to the 800x600 crowd. It's not so bad when you're looking to sell stuff, because in my experience analyzing statistics, the people with 800 x 600 resolutions are much less likely to make a purchase than those with higher resolutions (obviously most of those who are still on 800 x 600 are not particularly web savvy and are less likely to shop online). But I'm working on a community website. I want the majority of people to be able to browse the website without issues.

I figured cycling forums would be a great place to get a cross-section of what cycling web users are equipped with. :)

The results are pretty much what I was expecting. Can't hurt to get some more numbers voting, though. Bump to the top!