Screw through Wheel

wcotu

Jun 30, 2010
I was lucky enough to take a screw through a tire, tube, and then through my wheel base. Enough to create a 3-4 millimeter hole. The hole is not visible because I have Aero Mavic Carbone wheels. There was no damage to the aero piece luckily because the screw went strait through and never touched.

I was hoping there would be no effect to the replacement tube and there was not for a day or so. Today though I woke up to a flat and I'm worried it is either the hole in my wheel rubbing or a tiny tiny hole where the screw went into my tire. The tire hole is very small and not really noticeable but, I'm sure some sand and particles can make there way through.

Today I am going to remove the tire and tube and see if I can tell where the flat came from.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there is some way to repair the wheel hole, tape, glue, etc.

a tire needs to be replaced whenever there is hole that penetrates it, except when it is really really small,
otherwise you will potentialy suffer from constant flats because your tube will get pinch in the area of the hole,

i didn't understand you quite well but if you see the carbon rim damaged then it is quite possible that you are "screwed" (pun intended :) ) , seriously, since Carbon Fiber is sensitive to sharp objects,

luckily I was smart and bought aluminum aero wheels because I figured they would hold up good for everyday wheels.

The screw went strait throught the wheel bed. I guess I am going to lay some new rim tape down and replace the tire and see how it holds up.