screw torque

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i read from my bike manual and asked to screw in the screws using a specific range torque/Nm. is there a screwdriver/tools that tells me how much Nm i am using.

Steve :eek: :eek:

stevechow said:
i read from my bike manual and asked to screw in the screws using a specific range torque/Nm. is there a screwdriver/tools that tells me how much Nm i am using.

Yup: a torque wrench.

stevechow said:

You can buy screwdrivers with torque measuring capabilities - but they're kinda hard to come by unless you browse trade magazines/catalogs. I've seen some "beam type" screwdrivers - but most seem to be like this one:

http://www.cedar.co.jp/index/DSD-N05-10.jpg

Alternatively, use a regular torque wrench that has the correct torque range and use the correct socket that fits the screwdriver bit of your choice.

CAMPYBOB said:
http://www.bostonindustrial.com/21drcltowr.html

$30 and more than adequate for my needs.

YMMV.
I have a similar click type torque wrench and found it wildly unreliable, but again ymmv. I actually busted a cheap alloy stem using it. IIRC, I was using it in the low end of its range and it just didn't click until the torque was a lot higher than the spec. Probably middle-high end of the range it would be fine.

For about the same price, you can buy a beam type which is fool proof. I now have two, a 1/4 inch low range Park Tool and a 3/8 inch mid range I bought from Sears.

Camilo said:
For about the same price, you can buy a beam type which is fool proof. I now have two, a 1/4 inch low range Park Tool and a 3/8 inch mid range I bought from Sears.
Beam type torque tools are great as long as:

a. you check that the needle actually points to zero before you start.
b. you hold the handle correctly - many beam type tools have a pivot point in the middle of a hinged handle. If the handle is held against the beam instead of "floating" on this pivot point the the reading can be significantly off. In hard to reach places on a car this can be a pain, but on a bike it shouldn't be an issue.

But in general, yes they're generally very accurate but they're a little more of a PITA to store.

I agree, Screw torque! Just Star Torque it. That is when you pull on it until you see stars. Unfortunately the stars are sometimes obscured by dollar signs.......;).