Screwed/Goat

Doug Freese

Guest
actually two topics of questionable running value.

Screwed. I finally broke down and put some screws into and old pair of shoes. Last night we got
maybe an inch of dry snow. If you ski you would be happy but for running it really sucks.

I broke down and spent about $1.50 for some 3/8" screws as described in
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm They worked great! I did 5 miles and not so much as a slip. I
thought the screw heads might present a awkward feel on dry road but it didn't happen at least for
the short sections of bare road. Would a longer run have some negative results, remains to be seen.

Goat. I'm sure we can all relate to dogs and some to cows or bulls and other wild creatures
especially when challenged. Yesterday three of us were on a 13 mile run and as we approached a house
we saw a goat in the front yard. As we passed the little billy goat came out to visit us. Our first
reaction was to be leery and not get butted. We continued to run thinking it would return to the
front yard. The little **** did 5 miles with us behaving as well as my old Golden retriever. Not
unlike most dogs that run he liked to be about a heads length in front of first runner.

It was a delightful experience. It wasn't a heavily travel road but the few cars that did pass did
double takes and laughed their asses off.

I got a note today from one of my goat herding fellow runners, he called another friend that lives
and runs on the road to ask if he knew anything. He responded, hell yes, I run with the goat a few
days a week and he's great on the trails. Next time we'll bring some oats to give him a treat.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote: ...
> Would a longer run have some negative results, remains to be seen.

and then you would be screwed..

> It was a delightful experience. It wasn't a heavily travel road but the few cars that did pass did
> double takes and laughed their asses off.

asses as in the wild animal?

where do you run? i thought you were in NY?? goats, asses, all sorts of farm animals..

> I got a note today from one of my goat herding fellow runners, he called another friend that lives
> and runs on the road to ask if he knew anything. He responded, hell yes, I run with the goat a few
> days a week and he's great on the trails. Next time we'll bring some oats to give him a treat.

does he have a preference when it comes to deciding whether to eat before or after a run?

or is he like you - adept at eating on the run? ;-)

jobs

[email protected] wrote:

> where do you run? i thought you were in NY?? goats, asses, all sorts of farm animals..

Upstate NY- we steal your women not your wallet. I don't hang with the those gun totin' macho city
slickers that hang out by Central Park with plastic ice cream cones. I moved out at age 11 just as I
ordered my first pair of brass knuckles.

> does he have a preference when it comes to deciding whether to eat before or after a run?

Now that we are on a first name basis, I'll ask him.

> or is he like you - adept at eating on the run? ;-)

It was about 5 degrees and I wasn't stopping to munch. Only one udder so we passed on trying for
some milk.

Have had a skunk tag along with me before, but he only stayed with me for maybe 50 yards or so and
then peeled off. Even so, it was a little intimidating because I didn't know whether he'd try to
spray me (he didn't).

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in news:JPCRb.102150
[email protected]:

> The little **** did 5 miles with us behaving as well as my old Golden retriever

How funny! I've had a few dogs tag along for a couple of miles. I think most dogs get bored when
they realize you aren't going to stop and sniff every fire hydrant. The record belongs to my friend
the deerfly. The ******* followed my for 8 miles. That was an intense workout for my legs AND arms.

-Phil

In article <[email protected]>,
Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

> actually two topics of questionable running value.
>
> Screwed. I finally broke down and put some screws into and old pair of shoes. Last night we got
> maybe an inch of dry snow. If you ski you would be happy but for running it really sucks.

I ski, and I was quite happy. I moved to Indy from the Twin Cities last summer. I had decided to
take up XC skiing last year, and we barely had any snow. Indy generally doesn't get anywhere near
what the Twin Cities does, but we had 3-4 inches Sunday and another 3-4 today, so I've gotten to go
twice. It was sweet!

<snip>
> Goat. I'm sure we can all relate to dogs and some to cows or bulls and other wild creatures
> especially when challenged. Yesterday three of us were on a 13 mile run and as we approached a
> house we saw a goat in the front yard. As we passed the little billy goat came out to visit
> us. Our first reaction was to be leery and not get butted. We continued to run thinking it
> would return to the front yard. The little **** did 5 miles with us behaving as well as my old
> Golden retriever. Not unlike most dogs that run he liked to be about a heads length in front
> of first runner.
>
> It was a delightful experience. It wasn't a heavily travel road but the few cars that did pass did
> double takes and laughed their asses off.

So then you were running with a goat and some donkeys? :)

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:25:18 GMT, Doug Freese wrote:

>Upstate NY- we steal your women not your wallet. I don't hang with the those gun totin' macho city
>slickers that hang out by Central Park with plastic ice cream cones. I moved out at age 11 just as
>I ordered my first pair of brass knuckles.

I dunno, Doug. The more I learn about you the more I think you would have been fine in northern
Arkansas. :) We had hills there, if that helps any. Neat run with the goat, by the way.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

Doug Freese wrote:

> actually two topics of questionable running value.
>
> Screwed. I finally broke down and put some screws into and old pair of shoes. Last night we got
> maybe an inch of dry snow. If you ski you would be happy but for running it really sucks.

I beg your pardon ;) But I would say it depends on your choice of shoe - like using snowshoes :) Or
if you've only got 1 in, then that's not enough.

> I broke down and spent about $1.50 for some 3/8" screws as described in
> http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm They worked great! I did 5 miles and not so much as a
> slip. I thought the screw heads might present a awkward feel on dry road but it didn't happen at
> least for the short sections of bare road. Would a longer run have some negative results, remains
> to be seen.

Oh, oh. Doug's extending his running conditions ;) I'm guessing it depends on what type of shoes
you're wearing - and how much material there is in the sole. Bill L. said he got blisters but no
distance/time/conditions given (Building mileage/time in snow - posts on Nov 1, 2001 - kinda fun to
reread that thread).

> It was a delightful experience. It wasn't a heavily travel road but the few cars that did pass did
> double takes and laughed their asses off.

LOL. This was the first post I saw when I signed on tonight :)

> I got a note today from one of my goat herding fellow runners, he called another friend that lives
> and runs on the road to ask if he knew anything. He responded, hell yes, I run with the goat a few
> days a week and he's great on the trails.

I wonder if he ski-jors with the goat ;)

Dot

he could tell my the goats yaks trax plodzilla

Dot wrote:

> I beg your pardon ;) But I would say it depends on your choice of shoe - like using snowshoes :)
> Or if you've only got 1 in, then that's not enough.

Actually, in most years the conditions around these parts aren't good for snow shoeing. Most of my
snowshoe pals are driving 1-2 hours to find a snow race. Without a snow volume off road it's on the
roads and that is typically some combination of hard slippery snow and ice. If we had consistent
volume conditions from year to year I would buy a pair.

> Oh, oh. Doug's extending his running conditions ;)

How true, color me flexible. :) Last winter my training was severely stifled by icy conditions and I
barely maintained low 40's mileage instead of mid 50's. If was enough mileage that I still did my
spring races but I had to temper my resulting times big time.

I'm hoping the screws will let me run in conditions that would normally keep me locked inside. No
disrespect for inside training like Tmills but discovered years ago that regardless of the visual
and auditory distractions, inside exercise even for short periods of time, hummmmmm, suck! Poor
choice of word but you get the picture. ;)

> I'm guessing it depends on what type of shoes you're wearing - and how much material there is in
> the sole.

I simply took a pair of 2080's with high mileage on them and put in the screws for a test. If you
have a power screw driver it only takes a minute or so.

We got another 6+ inches last night and I'll give them a longer ride today. I usually run on Wed
nights with some school teachers but I suspect schools will be closed and we can run mid day
after the roads are cleared to gather at their place. One of the benefits of retirement, being
able to move your run to any time of the day. With the extra time I'm hoping we will run 8-12
rather than 6-8.

Doug Freese wrote:

> Dot wrote:
>
>> I beg your pardon ;) But I would say it depends on your choice of shoe
>> - like using snowshoes :) Or if you've only got 1 in, then that's not enough.
>

> Actually, in most years the conditions around these parts aren't good for snow shoeing. Most of my
> snowshoe pals are driving 1-2 hours to find a snow race.

Duh, that's how far we usually have to drive to find a trail race in summer - except for 2 local
ones, and one of those is a mtn one that's beyond anything I think I'd be able to do. And I have to
drive past decent trail heads to get there. There's one this weekend that some are driving to that's
probably 2-3 hr (1 way), depending on road conditions. I can't handle that much time on the road
when I could be running.

Actually, I'm trying to plant the seeds of thought in the new snowshoe club organizers' mind, that
we have some nice trails out here in the valley also and would be a nice place to have a get
together. I'm not sure if there were any snowshoe races in our parts (2 hr either side of Anchorage)
before the club started last year. Fbks has always had snowshoe races, but things down here are
pretty dull in the winter for races.

Without a snow volume off road it's on the roads and
> that is typically some combination of hard slippery snow and ice. If we had consistent volume
> conditions from year to year I would buy a pair.
>

> I'm hoping the screws will let me run in conditions that would normally keep me locked inside. No
> disrespect for inside training like Tmills but discovered years ago that regardless of the visual
> and auditory distractions, inside exercise even for short periods of time, hummmmmm, suck! Poor
> choice of word but you get the picture. ;)

Oh, I definitely get the picture. I enjoy this xt workout on Sat am to a certain extent because it
provides a high intensity workout, most of the time, and does seem to help achilles - and is only
place I can do reasonable bare foot work (everything except circuits with machines is bare foot on
mats) this time of year. It's also the only time I get to talk to other runners. But it comes at a
substantial cost of what else I can do - both in terms of volume and scheduling. But I'm close to
periodizing out of it now anyway (this wk and maybe 1 wk in Feb) - unless we get some ice storms.

> We got another 6+ inches last night and I'll give them a longer ride today.

I'd sure like some fresh stuff :( Ours is really drifted after the last wind storm. I've begun to
appreciate the groomed trails since there's less drifting, but it's sorta like treadmill running
compared to real running.

>One of the benefits of retirement, being able to move your run to any time of the day.

Ya know, somebody on another group is rubbing this in also ;) Well, the sooner I stop this and get
my lab work and writing done, the sooner I'll be there.

Dot

Doug Freese wrote:

> Screwed. I finally broke down and put some screws into and old pair of shoes. Last night we got
> maybe an inch of dry snow. If you ski you would be happy but for running it really sucks.
>
> I broke down and spent about $1.50 for some 3/8" screws as described in
> http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm They worked great! I did 5 miles and not so much as a
> slip. I thought the screw heads might present a awkward feel on dry road but it didn't happen at
> least for the short sections of bare road. Would a longer run have some negative results, remains
> to be seen.

Does anyone know where one can buy these screws on-line (preferably in the UK)? I've done all my
local hardware stores and searched the net for suppliers but I can't find a supplier anywhere.

Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or http://www,justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK

Tom Wheeler wrote:

> Yah go goat trail your self you loser.

Congrats Tommie nearly a full sentance. Maybe you should post more often when angry so we discern
what the hell you talking about. I'm almost convinced that you are in fact the biggest r.r troll and
not Willie ****** or Miss Anne Thrope.

Tim Downie wrote:

> Does anyone know where one can buy these screws on-line (preferably in the UK)? I've done all my
> local hardware stores and searched the net for suppliers but I can't find a supplier anywhere.

In the US we have very large, about the size of a football field, home improvement centers. Two
in particular that are in my area are Lowes and Home Depot. I looked and they seem to be US
only Stores.

If it helps your search, I used "6X3/8 hex washer head" screws. I guess you can use 1/2 inch but
they looked a little too long although the web page says they are ok for normal midsole thickness.
The web page forgets that screws are measured in two dimensions, length and thickness. As you might
imagine these come in various thickness'. I chose the 6's cuz they looked like they would do the
job. I would think 8's would also work.

I did two spring time trails races last year and one in the fall where screws would have been my
physical and mental salvation to get through the mud. I will henceforth carry a spare pair with the
extra hardware. Fool me once.....

me think you ****, go pee on your leg you big sonofagun you. tom

news:<[email protected]>...