screwed up by discs

If its on the pads then throw them out and get a new set.

on the discs, clean then with detergent and then clean them with rubbing alcohol or metho.

o a car parts store or Wallmart and get a couple cans of Brakleen brake parts cleener(non-chlorinated, big difference). It is a highly evaporative solvent that dissolves anything greasy oily and evaporates instantly.
Spray the pads down thoroughly with this and wipe on a white rag between sprays to see progress. As you go it will get to the point where there will be no smudge left from the contaminant, then put the pads in the oven for 15 mins or so at 300* F (operating rating for them is over 450 so don't worry.) This ensures they are completely dried of solvents.
Take another CLEAN rag and wet the rag heavily and wipe the rotor. Reinstall it all and enjoy.
In some cases, like if they pads have been used heavily when contaminated, they will have the lubricant fused into the compound. In that instance, they are better off replaced. Still, try the procedure and if the problem doesn;t come back you saved 20 bucks.

Spray the pads down thoroughly with this and wipe on a white rag between sprays to see progress. As you go it will get to the point where there will be no smudge left from the contaminant, then put the pads in the oven for 15 mins or so at 300* F (operating rating for them is over 450 so don't worry.) This ensures they are completely dried of solvents.

While I'm all for using brake cleaner to fix your problem, I'd leave it out of the kitchen. Look at the product warnings on the can's label and tell me if you think that is the sort of thing with which you want to contaminate your food preparation eqipment.

If the opportunity for me to eat dinner at your house should ever present itself, remind me to insist that we go to a restaurant instead!

TD

tyler_derden said:
While I'm all for using brake cleaner to fix your problem, I'd leave it out of the kitchen. Look at the product warnings on the can's label and tell me if you think that is the sort of thing with which you want to contaminate your food preparation eqipment.

If the opportunity for me to eat dinner at your house should ever present itself, remind me to insist that we go to a restaurant instead!

TD
Ever used oven cleaner?

That is FAR MORE lethal than the nth of a percent of brake solvent remaining.

Conniebiker said:
Ever used oven cleaner?

That is FAR MORE lethal than the nth of a percent of brake solvent remaining.

I won't be eating dinner at your house either!

TD

probob said:
anyone know what to do if you get grease on your disc brakes.
get a clean rag and poor some rubbing alchohol on it then wipe off the rotors:)

mtnrider said:
get a clean rag and poor some rubbing alchohol on it then wipe off the rotors:)
Anything fit for putting on your skin isn't strong enough to break down grease. Isopropyl Alcohol is OK for cleaning off dirt. That's about the extent of it's powers. I know, I tried using Isopropyl for quite sometime. It DOES NOT WORK.

Using DENATURED alcohol. Yes, paint thinner. If you have an old margarine tub, fill it with just enough and drop your pads in. One container PER axel, don't mix your pads up. Let them soak overnight.

CLEAN the rotors with the same DENATURED alcohol.

Hope advise the use of purple methylated spirit, (methanol) on their rotors, and NOTHING on their pads, which should be kept glaze free by gently rubbing on a piece of fine emery cloth in a circular motion.

Contaminated pads are bin fodder;)

Alcazar

alcazar said:
Hope advise the use of purple methylated spirit, (methanol) on their rotors, and NOTHING on their pads, which should be kept glaze free by gently rubbing on a piece of fine emery cloth in a circular motion.

Contaminated pads are bin fodder;)

Alcazar

yeap i say chuck the pads, get some degreaser, even just go to a bike shop and buy a can of clean streak or the finish line stuff or whatever they have and clean the rest up with that

Conniebiker said:
o a car parts store or Wallmart and get a couple cans of Brakleen brake parts cleener(non-chlorinated, big difference). It is a highly evaporative solvent that dissolves anything greasy oily and evaporates instantly.
Take another CLEAN rag and wet the rag heavily and wipe the rotor. Reinstall it all and enjoy.
In some cases, like if they pads have been used heavily when contaminated, they will have the lubricant fused into the compound. In that instance, they are better off replaced. Still, try the procedure and if the problem doesn;t come back you saved 20 bucks.

Good tip but no need for baking the pads, just leave them out in the sun for a few minutes. The residual solvent will flash off the first 20% slope you descend...

I don't see why you guys are advocating the use of anything other than brake cleaner. It's the only stuff to use. Specifically designed for the job. Yeah you might have something else laying around, but if you work on your own bike/car/motorcycle/go-kart with disc brakes, you really should have a can of brake cleaner laying around.

If you use brake cleaner you won't have to worry about baking it out or doing it on a descent or anything. It'll evaporate completely by the time you get on the bike. Again, it's specifically designed for the job.

C

GV27 said:
I don't see why you guys are advocating the use of anything other than brake cleaner. It's the only stuff to use. Specifically designed for the job. Yeah you might have something else laying around, but if you work on your own bike/car/motorcycle/go-kart with disc brakes, you really should have a can of brake cleaner laying around.

If you use brake cleaner you won't have to worry about baking it out or doing it on a descent or anything. It'll evaporate completely by the time you get on the bike. Again, it's specifically designed for the job.

C
All pads are not alike. I'll bet that brake cleaner meant for Raybestos pads may not brake down some some formulations of brake disc pads. Equally, that stuff may react differently between steel car rotors and aluminum bike rotors.

The brake companies don't seem to give us "straight talk" about how to properly clean rotors when some nimrod at the bike shop uses spray on lube for the chain and fouls up your brakes. Jee, you might think they want you to pay $15-$25 per pair of brake pads every time a little oil flies off the chain onto your discs.

Bottom line ... Isopropyl alcohol doesn't cut it for grease/oil in the brakes.