screwed up with bike on top of car

Jtn

Guest
while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a permanent
fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?

I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more racing cyclists than rec
cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we do what we do in
the name of "good health"

should be covered by your homeowner's policy

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
racing
> cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
> do what we do in the name of "good health"

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote...

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?

Hey - it happens to nearly everyone. I've done that maneuver twice, on two different cars after two
especially grueling races where my brain wasn't exactly recovered. It's more dangerous than a couple
of beers. The worst damage I did to my bike was ruining the saddle. To the car lots of scraped metal
and bent Yakima's.

Every claim you make will hike your insurance rates. Forget about it. Chalk it up to being not
totally attentive and eat the loss.

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
racing
> cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
> do what we do in the name of "good health"

-Ken

Homeowners should definitely cover it - I did the same thing before with a whole rack full of bikes!
Todd "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
racing
> cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
> do what we do in the name of "good health"

BTW: I claimed the rack of bikes I wrecked and my homeowner's insurance did NOT increase!

Todd

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
racing
> cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
> do what we do in the name of "good health"

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more racing cyclists than rec
> cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we do what we do in
> the name of "good health"

Next time, haul the garbage cans in front of the garage, so you'll have to get out of the car to
move them........

This is generally covered by homeowner's insurance. Not that I would know from having done such a
dumb thing.

--
Mike Murray "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
racing
> cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
> do what we do in the name of "good health"

in article [email protected], JTN at [email protected] wrote on
12/26/2002 11:35 AM:

> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?

Homeowner's or Renter's Insurance.

Otherwise, you're screwed.

> I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more racing cyclists than rec
> cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we do what we do in
> the name of "good health"

pax est libertas seritus est nescio robur est aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward]
slash double-you double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Frank Tantillo wrote:
> should be covered by your homeowner's policy

Why? So the next time I want a new frame I just run mine into the garage?

Greg

> "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
>>permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>>

>>I know, not the right newsgroup, but I know this has happened to more
>
> racing
>
>>cyclists than rec cyclist since the racers are less intelligent. how else would you explain why we
>>do what we do in the name of "good health"

At our house, when you put the bikes on top of the car we also move the garage-dooor-remote from its
usual place in the car so that we can't reach for it out of habit.

That won't save you from city parking structures as a friend of mine discovered on day many years
ago - his car and both our bikes sustained only minor damage. -joe

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:51:12 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

>in article [email protected], JTN at [email protected] wrote on
>12/26/2002 11:35 AM:
>

>> while driving into garage I forgot bike was on roof. car insurance stated that it is not a
>> permanent fixture to car so its not covered. any ideas on how to get it covered by insurance?
>

>Homeowner's or Renter's Insurance.

Okay then, here's a question. If you total your bike in a crash during a race is that covered under
most homeowner's insurance?

Thanks, Ronde Chimp

in article [email protected], Mark VandenBerghe at

> I did this two years ago. Drove into the carport at my mom's house. destroyed the look carbon fork
> and bent the head tube pretty bad. Called my insurance and told them exactly what happened and was
> surprised to hear I should make a claim. Long story short, I got enough cash to pay for half of a
> new Calfee tetra pro with record ten and ksyriums.
>
> Mark VandenBerghe

Of course in the long run you are likely to end up paying much more in increased insurance costs
than it will cost to replace a bicycle. Here in Calif. there is a home owner's incurance crisis
going on ( due in part to the large amounts being paid out for mold claims). In some cases home
owners who call their broker and just ask if them might be able to file a claim end up getting
either a big boost in the cost of their insurance or they get their coverage dropped all together.

Casey

in article 261220021432111580%[email protected], warren at [email protected] wrote on 12/26/02 2:35 PM:

> In article <7oLO9.466370$WL3.124912@rwcrnsc54>, Ken Papai <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> I knew this would be good reading..
>>
>> So far you got exactly two good answers. (Casey's and mine)
>
> So making an insurance claim for a few hundred dollars against all the money you've paid in for
> insurance is a bad idea?
>
> What kind of a crazy mixed up world is this?
Sad but true ( at least hear in CA). As I said you don't even have to make an actual claim. Just
call yur broker about possibly making a claim. you will then go into the national database that
keeps track of people who make claims and your home owners rates will either go up or you will lose
your coverage.

See http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/11/03/BU1 27371.DTL

Casey

"warren" <warren@[email protected]...
> Ken Papai <kenpapai.com> wrote:
>
> > "JTN" <[email protected]...
> > > I knew this would be good reading..
> >
> > So far you got exactly two good answers. (Casey's and mine)
>
> So making an insurance claim for a few hundred dollars against all the money you've paid in for
> insurance is a bad idea?
>
> What kind of a crazy mixed up world is this?

EXACTLY

-kjp

Unfortunately, insurance should really only be viewed as disaster protection, such as your house
burning down, long-term illness or anyone actually discussing bicycle racing in this newsgroup

Patrick O'Grady wrote:
> "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>"Frank Tantillo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>should be covered by your homeowner's policy
>>
>>How much is the premium for stupidity coverage?
>>
>>Curious, Ronde Champ
>

> I had this happen to me en route to Interbike one year, with a Steelman Eurocross on the Yakima
> rack atop the wife's Subaru. Got a flat in the Cali'

Wow, Colombia sure is a helluva detour to get here to the California desert.

Greg "it's only 'Cali' to 19 year old blonde bimbos with enhanced breasts coming here from Minnesota
to get into the **** business" T.