Sea Otter waterbars!!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dvstek, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Dvstek

    Dvstek Guest

    Rode the Sea Otter Course this weekend, along with a zillion other people. It was about 85 degrees
    and beautiful as always. The wildflowers are out, and the smells are incredible. The only thing
    wrong, were the new water bars. They are so steep, that when you hit them with some speed the back
    of your bike will fly over your head and that is not good. They are too tall to bunny hop. This
    weekend they hauled 4 different peeps off the hill. 2 collarbones, 1 rib, and one just pretty
    scratched up. Those are the ones that we know about, and we were only out there a few (3) hours. We
    have had some isolated crashes, but until I rode the course with conviction this week end, just
    chalked it up to newbie luck. I live about 3 miles from Laguna Seca so I ride it a lot and don't
    like what they have done. Be on the look out for the new water bars, you don't have to go far to
    find the first one, it is in short walking distance from the campground, on what was the big left
    hand sweeper. BTW the sweeper is now gone, replaced by a single track, with water bars. Can't wait
    to race into that turn with 150 riders.

    Tags:

  2. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Dvstek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Rode the Sea Otter Course this weekend, along with a zillion other people. It was about 85 degrees
    > and beautiful as always. The wildflowers are out, and the smells are incredible. The only thing
    > wrong, were the new water bars. They are so steep, that when you hit them with some speed the back
    > of your bike will fly over your head and that is not good. They are too tall to bunny hop. This
    > weekend they hauled 4 different peeps off the hill. 2 collarbones, 1 rib, and one just pretty
    > scratched up. Those are the ones that we know about, and we were only out there a few (3) hours.
    > We have had some isolated crashes, but until I rode the course with conviction this week end, just
    > chalked it up to newbie luck. I live about 3 miles from Laguna Seca so I ride it a lot and don't
    > like what they have done. Be on the look out for the new water bars, you don't have to go far to
    > find the first one, it is in short walking distance from the campground, on what was the big left
    > hand sweeper. BTW the sweeper is now gone, replaced by a single track, with water bars. Can't wait
    > to race into that turn with 150 riders.

    Prerode it a couple weeks ago and noticed the changes as well. The loop has gotten a lot of trail
    work recently.

    I didn't mind the waterbars though... and didn't really notice any kickers. I thought the waterbars
    rather fun.

    --

    FlyingCoyote - looking forward to the Sea Otter. Only a couple more weeks... http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  3. Dvstek wrote:

    > The only thing wrong, were the new water bars. They are so steep, that when you hit them with some
    > speed the back of your bike will fly over your head and that is not good. They are too tall to
    > bunny hop.

    How tall is tall?

    Barry

  4. Dvstek

    Dvstek Guest

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:26:49 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
    "@thankyou.com> wrote:

    >Dvstek wrote:
    >>
    >> The only thing wrong, were the new water bars. They are so steep, that when you hit them with
    >> some speed the back of your bike will fly over your head and that is not good. They are too tall
    >> to bunny hop.
    >
    >How tall is tall?
    >
    >Ba

    the approach is about 3 feet and the verticle rise is about 2 feet with an exit of about 5 feet. But
    in some places they took the dirt from in front of the approach making a small ditch, about 12
    inches wide by 4 to 6 inches deep. It is not difficult to ride at say 8 to 10 mph but at 15 to
    18.... wooo hoooo

  5. Dvstek wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:26:49 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
    > "@thankyou.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Dvstek wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The only thing wrong, were the new water bars. They are so steep, that when you hit them with
    > >> some speed the back of your bike will fly over your head and that is not good. They are too
    > >> tall to bunny hop.
    > >
    > >How tall is tall?
    > >
    > >Ba
    >
    > the approach is about 3 feet and the verticle rise is about 2 feet with an exit of about 5 feet.
    > But in some places they took the dirt from in front of the approach making a small ditch, about 12
    > inches wide by 4 to 6 inches deep. It is not difficult to ride at say 8 to 10 mph but at 15 to
    > 18.... wooo hoooo

    4-6 inches?

    Why not simply pave it? <G>

    Barry