Sea Otter

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Well, you have to have been there. The Prologue was a mostly
    spectacular downhill ride from the top of the corkscrew to
    the finish line. About 3 km or so. Average speeds were over
    30 mph and the winning speed was something like 38 mph. The
    men pack filler were as fast as the fastest women. Horner
    was about 5 seconds back.

    The circuit race yesterday was a long breakaway that the
    Webcor guys held at 2 minutes and then slowly pulled back to
    40 seconds by the end. Horner was in the peloton and his
    some 45 second deficit wasn't looking all that great. He
    also wasn't looking very strong.

    Today Health Net was on the attack to take the winner's
    jersey. The 100 mile road race left at 10:30 or so and got
    back into the Laguna Seca track for an additional 3 laps
    on the circuit. On the way up the hill onto the track
    Horner EXPLODED away from the pack. He pulled out a 20
    second advantage as he hit the line for the first of three
    laps. Healthnet's Jones started after him and was
    obviously the only one in the peloton capable of mounting
    any efforts at all.

    All to naught though as Horner extended his lead to about a
    minute at the finish line to win the second biggest stage
    race in California with no one in sight.

    Sea Otter was the usual combination of great venue, hundreds
    of racers and moronic management. Monterey County apparently
    complained last year because of the stoppage of traffic due
    to Laguna Seca emptying (as if that doesn't happen regularly
    with the car races) so instead of simply suggesting that
    Monterey County install a traffic light at the exit like
    they feel not the slightest compunction to do in front of a
    shopping center, Sea Otter staff instead routed traffic in a
    8.5 mile roundabout route. Pro team cars were taking over an
    hour to get off of the facility yesterday. Somehow Sea Otter
    hasn't managed to figure out how to get play-by-play from
    the elite road race so the Pro's left at 10:30 and we had
    about one comment about it until Horner broke onto the
    reservation.

    It is really frustrating that a race as important as Sea
    Otter and with such great facilities manages to year after
    year insult virtually every class of racer they can. It
    would be nice if there was at least a modicum of
    professionalism amoung them but after 5 years of attendance
    I've come to realize that we aren't going to see it and so
    Sea Otter will always be second rate if they carry on at
    all with the Tour of Georgia coming three days after the
    end of the elite races at Sea Otter. Because of UCSF's
    great timing Healthnet only showed 6 riders and this
    definitely showed in the results despite some great
    performances by individual members.

    Also, no one seemed to know where the press tent was nor had
    any idea of how to get the finishing results for each race.
    "Duhhh, they'll post it on the internet" - yeah, like last
    year, within the next three months.

    Tags:

  2. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Sea Otter was the usual combination of great venue,
    > hundreds of racers and moronic management. Monterey County
    > apparently complained last year because of the stoppage of
    > traffic due to Laguna Seca emptying (as if that doesn't
    > happen regularly with the car races) so instead of simply
    > suggesting that Monterey County install a traffic light at
    > the exit like they feel not the slightest compunction to
    > do in front of a shopping center, Sea Otter staff instead
    > routed traffic in a 8.5 mile roundabout route.

    It's never a quick trip out of Laguna. I can't imagine
    there were more spectators there for the SO than the
    motorcycle races (WSB in particular), but it still had to
    be slow. I think it depends on where you park as to where
    you get sent out. But where you park seems to depend on
    where you entered the reserve. I've been sent out the way
    you described a few times and it still seemed to be much
    faster than when I went out the front entrance (in spite
    of that being roughly 15% the length of the back way).
    The hold up there is the turn onto the highway (or
    actually the people making a left turn onto it - because
    it's one lane down to that point, they'd hold up the
    people who wanted to turn right).

    At least it sounds like the races you saw were good,
    though.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Q: Can we call it a quagmire yet?

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  3. We opened our booth at 8am and left just after 5pm each day.
    There really was not a terrible traffic problem leaving from
    the marketplace area where we were. On 68 there was a small
    amount of congestion on the way back to Salinas where we
    stayed, but nothing that was nearly as unpleasant as the 610
    Loop and 59 at 5pm in Houston. Now that's traffic!

    Bruce

    "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Sea Otter was the usual combination of great venue,
    > > hundreds of racers and moronic management. Monterey
    > > County apparently complained last year because of the
    > > stoppage of traffic due to Laguna Seca emptying (as if
    > > that doesn't happen regularly with the car races) so
    > > instead of simply suggesting that Monterey County
    > > install a traffic light at the exit like they feel not
    > > the slightest compunction to do in front of a shopping
    > > center, Sea Otter staff instead routed traffic in a 8.5
    > > mile roundabout route.
    >
    > It's never a quick trip out of Laguna. I can't imagine
    > there were more spectators there for the SO than the
    > motorcycle races (WSB in particular), but it still had
    > to be slow. I think it depends on where you park as to
    > where you get sent out. But where you park seems to
    > depend on where you entered the reserve. I've been sent
    > out the way you described a few times and it still
    > seemed to be much faster than when I went out the front
    > entrance (in spite of that being roughly 15% the length
    > of the back way). The hold up there is the turn onto
    > the highway (or actually the people making a left turn
    > onto it - because it's one lane down to that point,
    > they'd hold up the people who wanted to turn right).
    >
    > At least it sounds like the races you saw were good,
    > though.
    >
    > --
    > tanx, Howard
    >
    > Q: Can we call it a quagmire yet?
    >
    > remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We opened our booth at 8am and left just after 5pm each
    > day. There really was not a terrible traffic problem
    > leaving from the marketplace area where we were. On 68
    > there was a small amount of congestion on the way back to
    > Salinas where we stayed, but nothing that was nearly as
    > unpleasant as the 610 Loop and 59 at 5pm in Houston. Now
    > that's traffic!

    On Friday, South Boundary Road was stopped up ALL the way
    onto the preserve and you could see cars stopped on that 16%
    grade right next to the main entrance. One of the team cars
    told me that they took a hour to get back onto 68 where
    everything did flow pretty smoothly.

    I left directly after the circuit race without waiting for
    the ceremony. By the time I got onto 68 near Monterey and
    turned back towards Salinas the Health Net squad was riding
    by in the other direction having already gotten the awards
    ceremony done with, taken the main entrance exit and riding
    down the four miles to where I had finally gotten.

    Note: Health Net had an abreviated squad this year. Ofoto
    wasn't even there. Jittery Joes wasn't there. Colavita
    (major loss here) wasn't there. Jelly Belly wasn't
    there. It seems like more people than I are thinking
    that Sea Otter is treating their main customers in a
    shoddy manner.

    What do you want to bet that these missing teams will all be
    at the SFGP?

  5. On 04/20/2004 10:35 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Tom Kunich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Note: Health Net had an abreviated squad this year. Ofoto
    > wasn't even there. Jittery Joes wasn't there.
    > Colavita (major loss here) wasn't there. Jelly Belly
    > wasn't there. It seems like more people than I are
    > thinking that Sea Otter is treating their main
    > customers in a shoddy manner.
    >
    > What do you want to bet that these missing teams will all
    > be at the SFGP?

    What do you want to be that all of those teams are at
    the Dodge Tour de Georgia, and didn't want to deal with
    the logistical nightmare of getting their teams, their
    team cars/vans, and all their equipment cross-country
    in 48 hours?

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
    at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

  6. On 04/21/2004 04:26 AM, in article BCABA884.2D1FA%[email protected],
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 04/20/2004 10:35 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "Tom
    > Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Note: Health Net had an abreviated squad this year. Ofoto
    >> wasn't even there. Jittery Joes wasn't there.
    >> Colavita (major loss here) wasn't there. Jelly
    >> Belly wasn't there. It seems like more people than
    >> I are thinking that Sea Otter is treating their
    >> main customers in a shoddy manner.
    >>
    >> What do you want to bet that these missing teams will all
    >> be at the SFGP?
    >

    > What do you want to be that all of those teams are at
    > the Dodge Tour de Georgia, and didn't want to deal with
    > the logistical nightmare of getting their teams, their
    > team cars/vans, and all their equipment cross-country in
    > 48 hours?

    In fact, I'll even provide a couple cites, which you seem to
    refuse to do:

    From http://www.velonews.com/race/race.php?id=1070&section=2

    [the] lure of Georgia will keep the Colavita Olive Oil,
    Navigators and Ofoto squads away from Sea Otter altogether.
    In their absence, Northern California-based squads like
    Health Net-Maxxis and Sierra Nevada will mark Sea Otter as
    an opportunity to snag wins on home soil.

    From http://velonews.com/news/fea/5888.0.html

    [with] the Tour de Georgia starting just three days after
    Sea Otter finishes, many teams felt it would be logistically
    too difficult to haul team cars and equipment all the way
    from California in time for the TdG start in Macon. So, no
    Euros, no Postal, no Navs ... but Team Lucky Lounge does get
    to step up to the plate in Monterey.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
    at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas
    servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee
    sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for
    word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-
    ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BCABAC1E.2D1FE%[email protected]...

    > > What do you want to be that all of those teams are at
    > > the Dodge Tour de Georgia, and didn't want to deal with
    > > the logistical nightmare of
    getting
    > > their teams, their team cars/vans, and all their
    > > equipment cross-country
    in
    > > 48 hours?
    >
    > In fact, I'll even provide a couple cites, which you seem
    > to refuse to do:
    >
    > From
    > http://www.velonews.com/race/race.php?id=1070&section=2
    >
    > [the] lure of Georgia will keep the Colavita Olive Oil,
    > Navigators and
    Ofoto
    > squads away from Sea Otter altogether. In their absence,
    > Northern California-based squads like Health Net-Maxxis
    > and Sierra Nevada will mark Sea Otter as an opportunity to
    > snag wins on home soil.

    Yeah, you'll have to explain that to Chris Horner and Gordon
    Fraser. They too apparently felt it unnecessary to ride a
    good training race before TdG.

    Isn't this what I was just talking about? You guys seem to
    have no minds of your own and quote people who think that
    the guy who wins bicycle races is the guy on the front of
    the peloton.