Seafood the universal heart medicine

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sean, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. sean

    sean Guest

    Seafood

    The universal heart medicine

    The best way to slash your chances of heart disease is above all, eat
    fish, principally fatty fish, abundant with omega-3 fatty acids. The
    evidence of fish's preventative and restorative powers against
    cardiovascular disease is compelling. Seafood's probable main heart
    medicine is it's unique marine fat.

    Seafood eater's world-wide have less heart disease. Even eating tiny
    amounts of fish can have an enormous effect. A landmark Dutch study
    found that eating, on average, a mere ounce of fish a day cut the
    chances of fatal heart disease in half.
    If you could look inside people's arteries, you would see that the
    healthiest one belong to fish eaters and the most diseased ones to
    non-fish eaters.

    Try this

    Shellfish with Seasoned broth

    Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
    touch to this exquisite dish.

    Serves 4

    Ingredients

    675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded

    1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
    1 garlic clove
    1 litre or 4 cups of water
    Pinch of curry powder
    Pinch of saffron
    1 bay leaf
    450 grams of large prawns, peeled
    450 grams small shelled scallops
    175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

    One

    Put the mussels in a large heavy saucepan or flameproof casserole,
    cover with water and cook, tightly covered, over a high heat for 4-6
    minutes until the shells open, shaking the pan or casserole
    occasionally. When cool enough to handle, discard any mussels that did
    not open and remove the rest from their shells. Strain the cooking
    liquid through a muslin-lined sieve and reserve.

    Two

    Put the fennel, onion, leek carrot and garlic in a saucepan and add the
    water, reserved mussel liquid, spices and bay leaf. Bring to the boil,
    skimming any foam that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat and
    simmer gently, covered, for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
    Remove the garlic clove.

    Three

    Add the prawns, scallops and lobster meat, if using, then 1 minute, add
    the mussels. Simmer gently for about 3 minutes until the scallops are
    opaque and all the shellfish are heated through. Adjust the seasoning,
    and then ladle into a heated tureen and sprinkle with chervil or
    parsley.

    Beware if you have an allergy to shellfish

    Smoked Salmon Terrine with Lemons

    Lemon can be cut and sliced in so many ways. This melt in the
    mouth-smoked salmon Terrine gives a time honoured accompaniment an
    intriguing new twist.

    Ingredients

    Serves 6

    4 sheets of leaf gelatine
    60ml/4tbsp water
    400 grams smoked salmon, sliced
    300 grams cream cheese
    120ml crème fraîche
    30ml dill mustard
    Juice of one lime

    For the Garnish

    2 lemons
    Piece of muslin
    Raffia, for tying

    One

    Soak the gelatine in the water in a small bowl until softened.
    Meanwhile, line 450-gram loaf tin with clear film. Use some of the
    smoked salmon to line the tin, laying the slices width ways across the
    base and up the sides and leaving enough overlap to fold over the top
    for filling.

    Two

    Set aside enough of the remaining smoked salmon to make a middle layer
    the length of the tin. Chop the rest finely by hand or in a food
    processor. Beat together the cream cheese, crème fraîche and dill
    mustard with the chopped smoked salmon until everything is well
    combined.

    Three

    Squeeze out the gelatine and melt gently in a small saucepan with the
    limejuice. Add to the smoked salmon mixture and mix thoroughly. Spoon
    half the mixture into the lined tin. Lay the reserved smoked salmon
    slices on the mixture along the length of the tin, then spoon on the
    rest of the filling and smooth the top.

    Four

    Tap the tin on the work surface to expel any trapped air. Fold over the
    overhanging salmon slices to cover the top. Cover with clear film and
    chill for at least 4 hours.

    Five

    Make the garnish. Cut one lemon in half in a small square of muslin.
    Gather the muslin at the rounded end of the lemon and tie neatly with
    Raffia.

    Six

    Cut a small 'V' from the side of the other lemon. Repeat at 5mm
    intervals. Turn out the Terrine, then slice. Garnish with
    muslin-wrapped lemons and lemon leaves.

    Anyone with coeliac disease should be careful with the mustard.

    Buckwheat Noodles with Smoked Trout

    The light crisp texture of the pak choi balances the strong, earthy
    flavours of the mushrooms, the buckwheat noodles and the smokiness of
    the trout.

    Ingredients

    Serves 4

    350 grams buckwheat noodles
    30ml vegetable oil
    115grams fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    15ml grated fresh root ginger
    225 pak choi
    1 spring onion, finely sliced diagonally
    15ml/1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
    30ml/2 tbsp. mirin (sweet cooking sake, available in Japanese stores)
    30ml 2 tbsp. soy sauce
    2 smoked trout, skinned and boned salt and freshly ground black pepper
    30ml 2 tbsp. coriander leaves and 10ml/ 2tsp sesame seeds, toasted, to
    garnish.
    One

    Cook the buckwheat noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for about
    7-10 minutes, or until just tender, according to the packet
    instructions.

    Two

    Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the shiitake
    mushrooms and sauté over a medium heat for three minutes. Add the
    garlic, ginger and pak choi, and continue to sauté for a further two
    minutes.

    Three

    Drain the noodles and add them to the mushroom mixture, with the spring
    onion, sesame oil, mirin, and soy sauce. Toss and season with salt and
    pepper to taste.

    Four

    Break up the trout into bite sized pieces. Arrange the noodle mixture
    on individual serving plates and top with trout.

    Five

    Garnish the noodles with coriander leaves and sesame seeds and serve
    immediately.

    © Sean Holmes

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "sean" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Try this
    >
    > Shellfish with Seasoned broth
    >
    > Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
    > touch to this exquisite dish.
    >
    > Serves 4
    >
    > Ingredients
    >
    > 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    >
    > 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    > 1 onion, thinly sliced
    > 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
    > 1 garlic clove
    > 1 litre or 4 cups of water
    > Pinch of curry powder
    > Pinch of saffron
    > 1 bay leaf
    > 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
    > 450 grams small shelled scallops
    > 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
    > Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    > 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

    You forgot the squid. ;-)

    Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....

    or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
    using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
    --
    Om.

  3. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "sean" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Try this
    > >
    > > Shellfish with Seasoned broth
    > >
    > > Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
    > > touch to this exquisite dish.
    > >
    > > Serves 4
    > >
    > > Ingredients
    > >
    > > 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    > >
    > > 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    > > 1 onion, thinly sliced
    > > 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
    > > 1 garlic clove
    > > 1 litre or 4 cups of water
    > > Pinch of curry powder
    > > Pinch of saffron
    > > 1 bay leaf
    > > 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
    > > 450 grams small shelled scallops
    > > 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
    > > Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    > > 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

    > You forgot the squid. ;-)
    >
    > Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
    >
    > or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
    > using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
    > --
    > Om.

    Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes a
    starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!

    kili

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "sean" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Try this
    > > >
    > > > Shellfish with Seasoned broth
    > > >
    > > > Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
    > > > touch to this exquisite dish.
    > > >
    > > > Serves 4
    > > >
    > > > Ingredients
    > > >
    > > > 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    > > >
    > > > 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    > > > 1 onion, thinly sliced
    > > > 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
    > > > 1 garlic clove
    > > > 1 litre or 4 cups of water
    > > > Pinch of curry powder
    > > > Pinch of saffron
    > > > 1 bay leaf
    > > > 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
    > > > 450 grams small shelled scallops
    > > > 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
    > > > Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    > > > 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

    > > You forgot the squid. ;-)
    > >
    > > Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
    > >
    > > or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
    > > using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
    > > --
    > > Om.

    > Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes a
    > starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!
    >
    > kili

    I think I brought this one up before. ;-)

    Pureed canned water chestnuts make a better mashed potatoe substitute,
    IMHO anyway, than pureed cauliflower.

    They tend to settle out a bit in a soup, but they can be used to add
    texture to a chowder in place of potatoes. Sliced or chopped, I use them
    in place of spuds for pot roasts and stews also as they are far lower in
    carbs.

    The texture is not identical, but close enough and the flavor is almost
    identical.

    I used minced bamboo shoot yesterday in my dressing in place of
    rice/cornmeal/breadcrumbs. Worked great!
    I used my small electric food chopper to get them fine so it was easy.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  5. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    > > > You forgot the squid. ;-)
    > > >
    > > > Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
    > > >
    > > > or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
    > > > using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
    > > > --
    > > > Om.

    > > Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes

    > > starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!
    > >
    > > kili
    > >

    > I think I brought this one up before. ;-)
    >
    > Pureed canned water chestnuts make a better mashed potatoe substitute,
    > IMHO anyway, than pureed cauliflower.
    >
    > They tend to settle out a bit in a soup, but they can be used to add
    > texture to a chowder in place of potatoes. Sliced or chopped, I use them
    > in place of spuds for pot roasts and stews also as they are far lower in
    > carbs.
    >
    > The texture is not identical, but close enough and the flavor is almost
    > identical.
    >
    > I used minced bamboo shoot yesterday in my dressing in place of
    > rice/cornmeal/breadcrumbs. Worked great!
    > I used my small electric food chopper to get them fine so it was easy.
    >

    > Cheers!
    > --
    > Om.

    Wonderful! Thanks, Kat! I absolutely adore water chestnuts and so does my
    husband. He's trying (laugh, ahem) to go back to low carb. You've given me
    a whole slew of new ideas. He won't eat cooked cauliflower, betcha he'll
    eat water chestnuts! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

    kili

  6. In article <[email protected]>,

    You are welcome! :)