Seafood the universal heart medicine

sean

Guest
Seafood

The universal heart medicine

The best way to slash your chances of heart disease is above all, eat
fish, principally fatty fish, abundant with omega-3 fatty acids. The
evidence of fish's preventative and restorative powers against
cardiovascular disease is compelling. Seafood's probable main heart
medicine is it's unique marine fat.

Seafood eater's world-wide have less heart disease. Even eating tiny
amounts of fish can have an enormous effect. A landmark Dutch study
found that eating, on average, a mere ounce of fish a day cut the
chances of fatal heart disease in half.
If you could look inside people's arteries, you would see that the
healthiest one belong to fish eaters and the most diseased ones to
non-fish eaters.

Try this

Shellfish with Seasoned broth

Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
touch to this exquisite dish.

Serves 4

Ingredients

675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded

1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
1 garlic clove
1 litre or 4 cups of water
Pinch of curry powder
Pinch of saffron
1 bay leaf
450 grams of large prawns, peeled
450 grams small shelled scallops
175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

One

Put the mussels in a large heavy saucepan or flameproof casserole,
cover with water and cook, tightly covered, over a high heat for 4-6
minutes until the shells open, shaking the pan or casserole
occasionally. When cool enough to handle, discard any mussels that did
not open and remove the rest from their shells. Strain the cooking
liquid through a muslin-lined sieve and reserve.

Two

Put the fennel, onion, leek carrot and garlic in a saucepan and add the
water, reserved mussel liquid, spices and bay leaf. Bring to the boil,
skimming any foam that rises to the surface, then reduce the heat and
simmer gently, covered, for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the garlic clove.

Three

Add the prawns, scallops and lobster meat, if using, then 1 minute, add
the mussels. Simmer gently for about 3 minutes until the scallops are
opaque and all the shellfish are heated through. Adjust the seasoning,
and then ladle into a heated tureen and sprinkle with chervil or
parsley.

Beware if you have an allergy to shellfish

Smoked Salmon Terrine with Lemons

Lemon can be cut and sliced in so many ways. This melt in the
mouth-smoked salmon Terrine gives a time honoured accompaniment an
intriguing new twist.

Ingredients

Serves 6

4 sheets of leaf gelatine
60ml/4tbsp water
400 grams smoked salmon, sliced
300 grams cream cheese
120ml crème fraîche
30ml dill mustard
Juice of one lime

For the Garnish

2 lemons
Piece of muslin
Raffia, for tying

One

Soak the gelatine in the water in a small bowl until softened.
Meanwhile, line 450-gram loaf tin with clear film. Use some of the
smoked salmon to line the tin, laying the slices width ways across the
base and up the sides and leaving enough overlap to fold over the top
for filling.

Two

Set aside enough of the remaining smoked salmon to make a middle layer
the length of the tin. Chop the rest finely by hand or in a food
processor. Beat together the cream cheese, crème fraîche and dill
mustard with the chopped smoked salmon until everything is well
combined.

Three

Squeeze out the gelatine and melt gently in a small saucepan with the
limejuice. Add to the smoked salmon mixture and mix thoroughly. Spoon
half the mixture into the lined tin. Lay the reserved smoked salmon
slices on the mixture along the length of the tin, then spoon on the
rest of the filling and smooth the top.

Four

Tap the tin on the work surface to expel any trapped air. Fold over the
overhanging salmon slices to cover the top. Cover with clear film and
chill for at least 4 hours.

Five

Make the garnish. Cut one lemon in half in a small square of muslin.
Gather the muslin at the rounded end of the lemon and tie neatly with
Raffia.

Six

Cut a small 'V' from the side of the other lemon. Repeat at 5mm
intervals. Turn out the Terrine, then slice. Garnish with
muslin-wrapped lemons and lemon leaves.

Anyone with coeliac disease should be careful with the mustard.

Buckwheat Noodles with Smoked Trout

The light crisp texture of the pak choi balances the strong, earthy
flavours of the mushrooms, the buckwheat noodles and the smokiness of
the trout.

Ingredients

Serves 4

350 grams buckwheat noodles
30ml vegetable oil
115grams fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
15ml grated fresh root ginger
225 pak choi
1 spring onion, finely sliced diagonally
15ml/1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
30ml/2 tbsp. mirin (sweet cooking sake, available in Japanese stores)
30ml 2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 smoked trout, skinned and boned salt and freshly ground black pepper
30ml 2 tbsp. coriander leaves and 10ml/ 2tsp sesame seeds, toasted, to
garnish.
One

Cook the buckwheat noodles in a saucepan of boiling water for about
7-10 minutes, or until just tender, according to the packet
instructions.

Two

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the shiitake
mushrooms and sauté over a medium heat for three minutes. Add the
garlic, ginger and pak choi, and continue to sauté for a further two
minutes.

Three

Drain the noodles and add them to the mushroom mixture, with the spring
onion, sesame oil, mirin, and soy sauce. Toss and season with salt and
pepper to taste.

Four

Break up the trout into bite sized pieces. Arrange the noodle mixture
on individual serving plates and top with trout.

Five

Garnish the noodles with coriander leaves and sesame seeds and serve
immediately.

© Sean Holmes

In article <[email protected]>,
"sean" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Try this
>
> Shellfish with Seasoned broth
>
> Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
> touch to this exquisite dish.
>
> Serves 4
>
> Ingredients
>
> 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
>
> 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
> 1 onion, thinly sliced
> 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
> 1 garlic clove
> 1 litre or 4 cups of water
> Pinch of curry powder
> Pinch of saffron
> 1 bay leaf
> 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
> 450 grams small shelled scallops
> 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
> Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

You forgot the squid. ;-)

Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....

or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "sean" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Try this
> >
> > Shellfish with Seasoned broth
> >
> > Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
> > touch to this exquisite dish.
> >
> > Serves 4
> >
> > Ingredients
> >
> > 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
> >
> > 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
> > 1 onion, thinly sliced
> > 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
> > 1 garlic clove
> > 1 litre or 4 cups of water
> > Pinch of curry powder
> > Pinch of saffron
> > 1 bay leaf
> > 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
> > 450 grams small shelled scallops
> > 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
> > Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> > 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

> You forgot the squid. ;-)
>
> Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
>
> or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
> using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
> --
> Om.

Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes a
starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!

kili

In article <[email protected]>,
"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "sean" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > Try this
> > >
> > > Shellfish with Seasoned broth
> > >
> > > Leave one or two mussels and prawns in their shells to add an extra
> > > touch to this exquisite dish.
> > >
> > > Serves 4
> > >
> > > Ingredients
> > >
> > > 675 grams mussels, scrubbed and debearded
> > >
> > > 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
> > > 1 onion, thinly sliced
> > > 1 small carrot, cut in julienne strips
> > > 1 garlic clove
> > > 1 litre or 4 cups of water
> > > Pinch of curry powder
> > > Pinch of saffron
> > > 1 bay leaf
> > > 450 grams of large prawns, peeled
> > > 450 grams small shelled scallops
> > > 175 grams cooked lobster meat, sliced (optional)
> > > Salt and freshly ground black pepper
> > > 15-30ml chopped fresh chervil or parsley to serve

> > You forgot the squid. ;-)
> >
> > Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
> >
> > or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
> > using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
> > --
> > Om.

> Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes a
> starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!
>
> kili

I think I brought this one up before. ;-)

Pureed canned water chestnuts make a better mashed potatoe substitute,
IMHO anyway, than pureed cauliflower.

They tend to settle out a bit in a soup, but they can be used to add
texture to a chowder in place of potatoes. Sliced or chopped, I use them
in place of spuds for pot roasts and stews also as they are far lower in
carbs.

The texture is not identical, but close enough and the flavor is almost
identical.

I used minced bamboo shoot yesterday in my dressing in place of
rice/cornmeal/breadcrumbs. Worked great!
I used my small electric food chopper to get them fine so it was easy.

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > You forgot the squid. ;-)
> > >
> > > Serve over rice to make a sort of Paella.....
> > >
> > > or do what I do and make a chowder out of it
> > > using pureed water chestnut for the starch.
> > > --
> > > Om.

> > Wait a minute! I love water chestnuts; you can puree them and it makes

> > starch? Tell me more! I'm interested!
> >
> > kili
> >

> I think I brought this one up before. ;-)
>
> Pureed canned water chestnuts make a better mashed potatoe substitute,
> IMHO anyway, than pureed cauliflower.
>
> They tend to settle out a bit in a soup, but they can be used to add
> texture to a chowder in place of potatoes. Sliced or chopped, I use them
> in place of spuds for pot roasts and stews also as they are far lower in
> carbs.
>
> The texture is not identical, but close enough and the flavor is almost
> identical.
>
> I used minced bamboo shoot yesterday in my dressing in place of
> rice/cornmeal/breadcrumbs. Worked great!
> I used my small electric food chopper to get them fine so it was easy.
>

> Cheers!
> --
> Om.

Wonderful! Thanks, Kat! I absolutely adore water chestnuts and so does my
husband. He's trying (laugh, ahem) to go back to low carb. You've given me
a whole slew of new ideas. He won't eat cooked cauliflower, betcha he'll
eat water chestnuts! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome! :)
Hope he likes it......