Sealed cartridge assemblies

Apologies) (Tom

Guest
Does anyone know where there is a page or so on sealed cartridge wheel hubs? I was wondering how
different they are to cone type hubs.

Do they have a spacer between bearings or just outside the bearings to fit the frame
spacing? etc. etc.

thanks

Neil. Regards,

Neil.

Originally posted by Apologies) (Tom
Does anyone know where there is a page or so on sealed cartridge wheel hubs? I was wondering how
different they are to cone type hubs.

Do they have a spacer between bearings or just outside the bearings to fit the frame
spacing? etc. etc.

thanks

Neil. Regards,

Neil.

Neil,

Barnett's Manual, Chapter 13 covers them, Sheldon Brown does not. You can often pick up chapters of Barnett off the Web. Go to:
http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm#order/download
and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Campagnolo show parts lists, exploded views (I hope mine never explode!) and some servicing instructions on their Web page. Perhaps the manufacturer of yours has a similar service.

I have not seen spacers between the ball races. The ones I have worked on have the races pressed into recesses in the hub shell. The axle either slips into the centre of the race or, for Suntour and I think others, the axle is threaded and carries a part which slides inside the race. The thread is used to adjust the bearing pre-load. Bicycle hubs are not usually very complex devices.

Hope this helps.

John Retchford

John Retchford <[email protected]> wrote:

>Barnett's Manual, Chapter 13 covers them, Sheldon Brown does not. You can often pick up chapters of
>Barnett off the Web. Go to: http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm#order/download and scroll to the
>bottom of the page.

Thanks a lot John.

I was curious about converting the hubs I have from cone and ball to cartridge. By the sound of it,
it may be reasonable simple if the the cartidges fit where the ball cups are at present.

Regards,

Neil.

Originally posted by Apologies) (Tom

Thanks a lot John.

I was curious about converting the hubs I have from cone and ball to cartridge. By the sound of it,
it may be reasonable simple if the the cartidges fit where the ball cups are at present.

Regards,

Neil.

I certainly would not be fitting ball races to existing hubs intended for cups and cones. For a start you would need to remove the cups, which is not always easy, then you would need to machine the hub shells to the appropriate interference fit for the race outer. This would mean unlacing the wheel to get the hub shell into the lathe. You would then have to make pieces to thread on the axle in place of the cones and be the correct fit in the ball race inner. These parts are made of hardened steel. Why would you want to do all that when you could be cycling instead?

I take it that your hubs have failed. If you can't buy the failed part (cones are often available, cups harder to come by) slap some new hubs in. Fairly modestly priced ones from decent makers give good service with only an annual strip and grease. The best hubs offered by Shimano and Campagnolo use cups and cones.

John Retchford

John Retchford <[email protected]> wrote:

>I take it that your hubs have failed. If you can't buy the failed part (cones are often available,
>cups harder to come by) slap some new hubs in. Fairly modestly priced ones from decent makers give
>good service with only an annual strip and grease. The best hubs offered by Shimano and Campagnolo
>use cups and cones.
>
>John Retchford

Interesting that the best offered by Shimano etc. have cups and cones. I would have thought that
sealed cartridge would leave the others for dead. I am also inclined to think a cartridge would be
available to suit the bore where the cup is pressed in John. I noticed that 6002 and few other
completely standard bearing sizes are in use. Bike shops had them listed for $35.00 (replacement
bearings) any engineering person (ie. me) would know the bearing is worth about $3.00 to $5.00 at
most. They list them as "special" single seal with special grease. Mumma mia! and other expletives!

I agree fully on I'd rather be riding, but on a rainy day I like to tinker with the treadly. Mines
an absolute mongrel 18 speed steel framed hardtail which has gone from a supermarket special to a
fairly good bike (except frame) bit by bit on rainy days. But I like it. My nephew thinks I'm nuts
and he's probably right.

Thanks for your reply,

Regards,

Neil.