Sealing rings for Stronglight headset

Mikael Seierup

Guest
I bought a used Stronglight Headstrong headset i 1 1/8 inch. Its the one where the top part clamps
onto steerer using a screw. Unfortunately the top rubbberring seal was broken. It doesn't affect the
steering but will probably let water in. For now I gave it oodles of grease, but does anyone know
where to get a new ring (cheap)?

(you can see the headset here at bottom of page:
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category121_1.htm )

Mikael

Hi, Mikael, you could probably make yourself a seal by using a tube of 'silicone seal'.

This comes as a plumbing product in the hardware store and also in the auto store, where it is used
for making gaskets. It comes in different colors at the auto store.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

news:<[email protected]>...
> I bought a used Stronglight Headstrong headset i 1 1/8 inch. Its the one where the top part clamps
> onto steerer using a screw. Unfortunately the top rubbberring seal was broken. It doesn't affect
> the steering but will probably let water in. For now I gave it oodles of grease, but does anyone
> know where to get a new ring (cheap)?
>
> (you can see the headset here at bottom of page:
> http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category121_1.htm )
>
> Mikael

"Lewis Campbell" skrev...
> Hi, Mikael, you could probably make yourself a seal by using a tube of 'silicone seal'.

Unfortunately its a seal between a moving and stationary part, so it has got to be able to move and
not cause the handlebars to stick. Also its very thin... less than one milimeter thick and has a
diameter of a few centimeters.

Thanks for the idea though.

Regards Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Lewis Campbell" skrev...
>> Hi, Mikael, you could probably make yourself a seal by using a tube of 'silicone seal'.
>
> Unfortunately its a seal between a moving and stationary part, so it has got to be able to move
> and not cause the handlebars to stick. Also its very thin... less than one milimeter thick and has
> a diameter of a few centimeters.
>
> Thanks for the idea though.
>
> Regards Mikael

Another plumbing part, is a teflon "cord" or "rope" that can be cut to length. Unfortunately,
anything like this will probably fall apart as you attempt to install in the headset. I've done biz
with this company, http://www.daltekseals.com/ ,even ordering a special metric dimension teflon o
ring. Although they are in the U.S. (just a few miles away) they are SO NICE, they will likely refer
you to someone local to you. A British guy used to run the local place, and I got the impression
that the company has international ties. Usually, purchasing 10 O rings from them was cheaper than
buying one at the plumbing store. YMMV. rorschandt

> I bought a used Stronglight Headstrong headset i 1 1/8 inch. Its the one where the top part clamps
> onto steerer using a screw. Unfortunately the top rubbberring seal was broken. It doesn't affect
> the steering but will probably let water in. For now I gave it oodles of grease, but does anyone
> know where to get a new ring (cheap)?
>
> (you can see the headset here at bottom of page:
> http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category121_1.htm )
>
> Mikael

I have a bunch of o-rings for scuba gear - I'll check the dimensions tonight.

Torben