Seamless shorts & longs

Membrane

Guest
I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.

Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
and winter longs (not bibs).

--
Membrane

Membrane wrote:
> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
> from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
> to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>
> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
> and winter longs (not bibs).

There's your answer - cheap shorts! Always a false economy. Personally I
have always found UK-made Lusso shorts and other bike clothing to be
well made and comfortable. If you care to spend a little more and can
find them then Nalini's high-end shorts are a dream.

Ian

"7@m3 G33k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Membrane wrote:
>> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
>> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
>> from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
>> to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
>> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
>> and winter longs (not bibs).
>>

> There's your answer - cheap shorts! Always a false economy. Personally I
> have always found UK-made Lusso shorts and other bike clothing to be well
> made and comfortable. If you care to spend a little more and can find them
> then Nalini's high-end shorts are a dream.

Ithink it is dependant on many factors and what is right for one may not be
right for another.

Personally, I have no problem with Aldi gear rubbing or some other LBS
bought stuff that was quite cheap.

What you are recommending as being good for your needs may not of course be
good for his - although the more you spend the better the manufacture so
could be a better fit for your average person of that size.

Unfortunately it is not possible to give these things a try before you buy.

Dave

7@m3 G33k wrote:
> Membrane wrote:
>> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
>> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
>> from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
>> to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
>> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
>> and winter longs (not bibs).
>>

> There's your answer - cheap shorts! Always a false economy. Personally I
> have always found UK-made Lusso shorts and other bike clothing to be
> well made and comfortable. If you care to spend a little more and can
> find them then Nalini's high-end shorts are a dream.
>
> Ian

No no no. Never have to worry about seams again... cycle in the nude.
HTH :)

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Membrane wrote:
> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi).
> Apart from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me.
> I'd like to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>
> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of
> shorts and winter longs (not bibs).

Do you mean the seam around the edge of the pad is causing problems, or do
your shorts and longs have seams accross the middle of the pads?

Decent modern shorts have large one-piece pads with a flat seam around the
edge. I suggest Lusso shorts and then adding pad-less longs over the top.

~PB

"Membrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
> from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
> to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>
> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
> and winter longs (not bibs).

Wiggle's own brand (dhb) have been fine for me.

In article <[email protected]>, Membrane
[email protected]lid says...
> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi).

I'm finding it hard to imagine how this happens, or maybe I've
misunderstood.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
>> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi).

>I'm finding it hard to imagine how this happens, or maybe I've
>misunderstood.

I suspect that it is not a common problem. As such comments such as
"brand x works for me" are not useful unless someone has experienced the
same problem.

I also made the mistake to mention cheap and Aldi, resulting in "I told
you so" smugness and posters expressing self validation for their choice
of clothing, with no argument or reason to assume that it would address
the issue I experience. I know of many people using the same gear I use
without this particular problem.

--
Membrane

in message <[email protected]>, Membrane
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi). Apart
> from the chafing problem, the gear I use now works fine for me. I'd like
> to solve the chafing problem without braking the bank.
>
> Can anyone recommend (brand and model) skin tight padded cycling
> clothing that has really good quality seams? I'm after a pair of shorts
> and winter longs (not bibs).

My mate Andrew will be along presently to recommend Assos, but Wiggle have
some Campag ones on special offer just now at a reasonable price, and
they're very good. Yes, quality cycling clothes are expensive, but if you
don't crash in them the good ones last a long time. And
they're /comfortable/.

Last year I bought Polaris because I was feeling too stingy to buy Campag.
I got so I was feeling sandpapered - chafed raw - in places one would
really rather not be sandpapered. I've come to the conclusion that the
bits of me I sit on while I'm cycling are actually quite important to me,
and - well - I'm worth it.

;; my other religion is Emacs

Membrane wrote:
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
>>> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi).

>> I'm finding it hard to imagine how this happens, or maybe I've
>> misunderstood.

> I suspect that it is not a common problem. As such comments such as
> "brand x works for me" are not useful unless someone has experienced the
> same problem.
>
> I also made the mistake to mention cheap and Aldi, resulting in "I told
> you so" smugness and posters expressing self validation for their choice
> of clothing, with no argument or reason to assume that it would address
> the issue I experience. I know of many people using the same gear I use
> without this particular problem.

/rant

Jeez-uss! Sorry for replying, I was trying to be helpful by suggesting
two brands of shorts that I have found comfortable over the years. I
have been prone to various types of saddle-soreness in the twenty-odd
years I've been cycling seriously but oddly enough I didn't see fit to
include my life history for the benefit of your delicate ego when
posting on Usenet!

If you can't take a reply in the spirit in which it is obviously
intended (including possibly a bit of harmless batner) then get off of
Usenet or get some therapy.

/end rant

Ian

In article <k%[email protected]>, 7@m3 G33k
[email protected] says...

> /rant
>
> Jeez-uss! Sorry for replying, I was trying to be helpful by suggesting
> two brands of shorts that I have found comfortable over the years. I
> have been prone to various types of saddle-soreness in the twenty-odd
> years I've been cycling seriously but oddly enough I didn't see fit to
> include my life history for the benefit of your delicate ego when
> posting on Usenet!
>
> If you can't take a reply in the spirit in which it is obviously
> intended (including possibly a bit of harmless batner) then get off of
> Usenet or get some therapy.
>
> /end rant

Gosh, maybe it's /you/ who is a bit too sensitive for Usenet if every
perceived slight is going to result in such a petulant outburst. It
wasn't even a direct followup to one of your posts that produced this
reaction, so I shudder to think what might happen if a playful troll got
his claws stuck into your psyche.

In article <[email protected]>, Membrane
[email protected]lid says...
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I'm getting chafing on the buttocks from the padding seams with my
> >> various (cheap) shorts and winter longs (mostly Crane, from Aldi).

> >I'm finding it hard to imagine how this happens, or maybe I've
> >misunderstood.

> I suspect that it is not a common problem. As such comments such as
> "brand x works for me" are not useful unless someone has experienced the
> same problem.
>
> I also made the mistake to mention cheap and Aldi, resulting in "I told
> you so" smugness and posters expressing self validation for their choice
> of clothing, with no argument or reason to assume that it would address
> the issue I experience. I know of many people using the same gear I use
> without this particular problem.

I'm still not sure which bit of the shorts is causing a problem for
which bit of you. :)

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm still not sure which bit of the shorts is causing a problem for
>which bit of you. :)

I still have scar remnants from last weekend's ride, but I'm sure no-one
wants to see a photo of my derrière. So I pinched an image from
wikipedia to approximately illustrate the affected area:
http://codewallop.110mb.com/img/chafing.jpg

The scars perfectly match the seam outline and position of the padding
insert.

--
Membrane

Rob Morley wrote:

> Gosh, maybe it's /you/ who is a bit too sensitive for Usenet if every
> perceived slight is going to result in such a petulant outburst. It
> wasn't even a direct followup to one of your posts that produced this
> reaction, so I shudder to think what might happen if a playful troll got
> his claws stuck into your psyche.

Hold on...I'll respond to that when I've collected my toys up and put
them back in the pram...

Ian

> Do you mean the seam around the edge of the pad is causing problems, or do
> your shorts and longs have seams accross the middle of the pads?
>
> Decent modern shorts have large one-piece pads with a flat seam around the
> edge. I suggest Lusso shorts and then adding pad-less longs over the top.

Your photo indicates an unusual place for chafing soreness.
I have just been looking at seamless pads and got a pair of nike
bibshorts on special offer at JE James.
It seems that the pads in Assos , Giordana and the high end of several
other makes have gone seamless and look much better than most were,
say 3 to 5 years ago.After a recent audax experience I am going to
avoid those seams across the pad and either side of the perineum in
future , although I will still use the cheap shorts for short trips
under 50 miles and general knocking about.
I find that the skin gets tougher with more riding (within reason) and
lubricants overused can make things worse.
If your shorts are getting to you in a particular place perhaps you do
need a different design.
It would be good to go to a big , good shop to look .End of season
sales seem to be on now.
TerryJ