searching for a good rear derailer

dutchmountainb

Sep 22, 2003
This weekend i joined a mountainbike tour and i wrecked my rear derailer a shimano LX.
I was never realy happy with it and now after 9 months it has died and gone to heaven.
I m looking for something new, wich is a lot better, like the new XTR (but those controls?) or Sram??

Originally posted by dutchmountainb
This weekend i joined a mountainbike tour and i wrecked my rear derailer a shimano LX.
I was never realy happy with it and now after 9 months it has died and gone to heaven.
I m looking for something new, wich is a lot better, like the new XTR (but those controls?) or Sram??

I just bought a sram x.0. I'll let you know how it is.

I have been running SRAMs for a couple of years and they are pretty good. I have used the 9.0sl and 7.0. Currently I am on my second 9.0sl. It's a pretty quick and light shifter. Your choice of derailleur will of course be somewhat narrowed by what shifters you have. There is absolutley nothing wrong with XT stuff as well. I ran them for years and years prior to switching to SRAMs and twisters. Have fun.

K.

Be careful if you are getting an XTR deraileur not to get a "rapid-rise" one. They won't work with your current shifters. XTs are almost as good, at half the price.

-percious

Originally posted by percious
Be careful if you are getting an XTR deraileur not to get a "rapid-rise" one. They won't work with your current shifters. XTs are almost as good, at half the price.

-percious
This is not true. I have replaced my XT rear with the new rapid rise XTR derailleur and it works fine. All shimano 9 speed rapid fire shifters will work with rapid rise derailleur's.

Originally posted by dutchmountainb

Hey Mate,

I am not sure if you are made of money, but that's what you have to be to afford the new XTR buddy!!! Whooheee its expensive, Australian dollars, i think it is like 800-1000 for the shifter/brake unit alone!!!! Thats only one shifter, and not even the derailleur!!!

But, my recommendation on a good value groupset is by far Shimano Deore. These puppies are great value (cant remember price, we are talking 100-200 AUS Dollars i think), they shift well, they are black and they can take some abuse.

The body of it is metal, and mine has been knocked about quite a bit, i even managed to crush the barrel adjuster, but got it retapped and its still going!!

And best of all, when they die you dont have to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to get a new one.

Happy riding!

Cheers,

Ken

Stick with 8 speed XT or XTR....a WHOLE lot cheaper, and a great deal more dependable than the current 9 speed caca.