Seaside Rescue & h*lmets

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:24:01 -0700, Not Responding wrote:

>>From time to time the govt's Ministry of Prohibiting or Mandating

> Everything (No Exemptions) threatens to impose a madatory lifejacket law
> on us yotties.

Is it not true that the most common immediate cause of drowning of yotties
is attempting to pee over the stern rail when drunk? (For men anyway...)

Therefore either 1) peeing or 2) stern pulpits or 3) both should be
banned by the MoPME(NE)?

Mike

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:12:48 +0100, Michael MacClancy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > But I don't think there's any doubt that lifejackets save lives. To make
> > the point it would be better if the piece was about the dangers of sailing
> > across the channel without wearing gloves. "If I hadn't been wearing
> > gloves I would be dead due to rope burns."

> As a child I did a great deal of dinghy sailing. I remember very well
> getting a painful wack on the head from time to time as the boat
> jibbed. Perhaps dinghy sailors should wear helemts.

The RYA recommendation is that children /should/ wear helmets when
learning to sail dinghies - and a look at most sprog flotillas bears
this out.

My personal feeling (with two young 'uns in the process of learning) is
that small dinghies (oppies, picos etc) have such flimsy booms (or none
at all) and learning is done in benign weather that it's rather a good
opportunity to get mildly bruised by a boom on a bare head. Teach 'em
to duck when they're sailing bigger boats where failure to duck would
be more terminal - helmet or not.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> As a child I did a great deal of dinghy sailing. I remember very well
> getting a painful wack on the head from time to time as the boat
> jibbed. Perhaps dinghy sailors should wear helemts.

That has actually killed people... sailing single handed, take a
leak over the back with one hand on the tiller, unintentional gybe
knocks you half senseless and overboard at the same time, boat
carries on sailing merrily along without you and eventually you
succumb to hypothermia :-(

Helmet would need a supplemental tether for the sailor to be surer
of working against this...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 21 Apr 2006 12:17:59 -0700, "Not Responding"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The RYA recommendation is that children /should/ wear helmets when
> learning to sail dinghies - and a look at most sprog flotillas bears
> this out.

Good Lord! It's so long since I saw children sail - I had no idea.
And there's me contemplating taking my day skippers' licence once I've
completed my Mountain Leader assessment.

> My personal feeling (with two young 'uns in the process of learning) is
> that small dinghies (oppies, picos etc) have such flimsy booms (or none
> at all) and learning is done in benign weather that it's rather a good
> opportunity to get mildly bruised by a boom on a bare head. Teach 'em
> to duck when they're sailing bigger boats where failure to duck would
> be more terminal - helmet or not.

I learnt to sail in one of two 'dad built' Mirror dinghies with my
three brothers. We'd sail in anything below a force 7 on Chichester
Harbour, and mastered the art of righting a capsised boat without
getting wet.

Richard wrote:
> Heracles Pollux wrote:
> > Why not the need to wear a jockstrap?

> A knee-jerk reaction, I think, to a generally small problem.

If it was genuinely a small problem, a jockstrap wouldn't be needed.

...d

Tom Crispin wrote:

> As a child I did a great deal of dinghy sailing. I remember very well
> getting a painful wack on the head from time to time as the boat
> jibbed. Perhaps dinghy sailors should wear helemts.

I still remember the wire kicking strap on my parents firefly after 38 years

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Not Responding wrote:
> The RYA recommendation is that children /should/ wear helmets when
> learning to sail dinghies - and a look at most sprog flotillas bears
> this out.
>
> My personal feeling (with two young 'uns in the process of learning) is
> that small dinghies (oppies, picos etc) have such flimsy booms (or none
> at all) and learning is done in benign weather that it's rather a good
> opportunity to get mildly bruised by a boom on a bare head. Teach 'em
> to duck when they're sailing bigger boats where failure to duck would
> be more terminal - helmet or not.

I believe that the RYA are moving away from kid's sailing helmets for
the reason cited above (and also maybe the dissuasion factor that we
are all aware off).
Getting back to the Seaside Rescue prog., it was jolly interesting that
the h*lm*t in question seemed to have been struck a glancing blow on
the offside left front i.e. a point where the additional thickness of
the helmet would increase the rotational acceleration of the head on
impact....
PS: how does one fall off going over a 'sleeping policeman'? I suppose
a horribly mistimed attempt to jump the thing might do it, but.....

squeaker wrote:
> PS: how does one fall off going over a 'sleeping policeman'? I suppose
> a horribly mistimed attempt to jump the thing might do it, but.....

There's a "retail park" roundabouts here that has bloody lethal SP.
They're about two inches high on a three-ish inch base and triangular in
cross-section, made of some sort of heavy-duty rubber that gets very
slippy in the wet. Anyone riding a bike over them at anything other
than perpendicular and not paying attention is likely to come a serious
cropper as the front wheel is twisted savagely in a direction you're not
intending. The Mgmt don't want to know, and do all they can do to
discourage bikes by not providing cycle parking and having the stores
"requiring customers to leave their bags in their cars".

Not quite the most savage SP I've encountered; that was a railway
sleeper, laid on gravel; the British Club, Bangkok, c.1991.

R.

Ahh yes, I'd forgotten the private road type. Usually accompanied by
massive potholes ;)

squeaker wrote:

> PS: how does one fall off going over a 'sleeping policeman'? I suppose
> a horribly mistimed attempt to jump the thing might do it, but.....

In my case, by getting into the habit of reducing the bump by going
over it where it slopes sideways towards the gutter. Then one day it
was wet...

Slid about 20 feet, lost a toenail.

Colin McKenzie

squeaker wrote:
> PS: how does one fall off going over a 'sleeping policeman'? I
> suppose a horribly mistimed attempt to jump the thing might do it,
> but.....

That was how I did it in 1986 just before the England-Argentina match. It
was where a tree root went under the pavement on my block, and I was going
flat out, pulled up to jump over the root, and my front wheel went sideways
hitting the bump, and then I went over the bars and landed on my head.

It hurt. But I came back inside and didn't tell my parents. Until a couple
of years ago, when they were horrified.
--
Ambrose

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> squeaker wrote:
>
>> PS: how does one fall off going over a 'sleeping policeman'? I suppose
>> a horribly mistimed attempt to jump the thing might do it, but.....

> In my case, by getting into the habit of reducing the bump by going over
> it where it slopes sideways towards the gutter. Then one day it was wet...
>
> Slid about 20 feet, lost a toenail.

A helmet would have saved you toenail TM. Research shows helmets
prevent 75% of leg injuries [1]

[1] Thompson, R., Rivara, F. and Thompson, D. (1989), A Case-Control
Study of the Effectiveness of Bicycle Safety Helmets, New England
Journal of Medicine, 25 May, 320:21, 1361-67

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> A helmet would have saved you toenail TM. Research shows helmets
> prevent 75% of leg injuries [1]
>
> [1] Thompson, R., Rivara, F. and Thompson, D. (1989), A Case-Control
> Study of the Effectiveness of Bicycle Safety Helmets, New England
> Journal of Medicine, 25 May, 320:21, 1361-67

Do they also save cakes?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/25/bendy_bus_attack/

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

>>> I sincerely hope that the two events weren't simultaneous.

>> I heard he fell asleep some seconds before they started screaming..

> Who was left alive to tell? ;-)

Where did they bury the survivors?

Chris
--