Seasonal designs

Ice-velocipedes were popular with inventors before 1900:

http://www.google.com/patents?as_dr...xy_ap=2008&q=velocipede+intitle:ice&scoring=2
or http://tinyurl.com/2vyx54

Most ice-velocipedes were timid creatures, with dainty little spikes
that were barely visible:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=s8xdAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=407876

Pitiful! The spikes on that wheel are hardly as big as the teeth on
the chain-sprockets.

***

This cowardly ice-velocipede had no spikes at all, just a weird
worm-drive that rotated a spiral drive like an egg-beater lying flat
against the ice:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=nO9uAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=266945

***

Here's an ice-velocipede whose teeth you could be proud of:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=JVtIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=369224

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:06:53 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What I'd like to know is what proportion of these designs were ever
>built at all.
>
>For example, let's return to the worm-gear bike for a moment:
>
><http://www.google.com/patents?id=nO9uAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=266945#PPP1,M1>
>
>It commits the always-fun mechanical sin of trying to drive a worm gear
>backwards. I'm no mechanical engineer, and there may be exceptions, but
>that never works.

Dear Ryan,

Next you'll criticize the gigantic four-sided egg-beater pedals on the
model with the big teeth:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=JVtIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=369224

Hard-to-please posters like you are why I saw no ice-bikes today:
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zbciz5.jpg

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:29:23 -0700, [email protected] may have
said:

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:06:53 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>What I'd like to know is what proportion of these designs were ever
>>built at all.
>>
>>For example, let's return to the worm-gear bike for a moment:
>>
>><http://www.google.com/patents?id=nO9uAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=266945#PPP1,M1>
>>
>>It commits the always-fun mechanical sin of trying to drive a worm gear
>>backwards. I'm no mechanical engineer, and there may be exceptions, but
>>that never works.

>Dear Ryan,
>
>Next you'll criticize the gigantic four-sided egg-beater pedals on the
>model with the big teeth:
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=JVtIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=369224
>
>Hard-to-please posters like you are why I saw no ice-bikes today:
> http://i28.tinypic.com/1zbciz5.jpg

I suspect it has more to do with the impracticality of using anything
at all on ice as thin as the rime on that water. That, and the fact
that in your neck of the woods, ice is doubtless regarded as something
to stay the heck off of.

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:06:53 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >What I'd like to know is what proportion of these designs were ever
> >built at all.
> >
> >For example, let's return to the worm-gear bike for a moment:
> >
> ><http://www.google.com/patents?id=nO9uAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=266945#PPP1,M1>
> >
> >It commits the always-fun mechanical sin of trying to drive a worm gear
> >backwards. I'm no mechanical engineer, and there may be exceptions, but
> >that never works.

> Dear Ryan,
>
> Next you'll criticize the gigantic four-sided egg-beater pedals on the
> model with the big teeth:
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=JVtIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=369224

Hm. I found that less unreasonable, perhaps because I use Egg Beaters on
my CX bike.

But at least those four-sided pedals would, you know, go around!

I took my 'cross bike out for a short ride in the snow today, more to
test some nifty new winter shoes (cheap and apparently functional!
Hooray for the Exustar E-SM450), and once again demonstrated that
cyclocross and icy packed melting snow don't mix.

On the other hand, the amount of surface around that would have been
suitable for an ice velo was a pleasing zero. Maybe something at higher
elevations.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:22:36 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:29:23 -0700, [email protected] may have
>said:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:06:53 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>What I'd like to know is what proportion of these designs were ever
>>>built at all.
>>>
>>>For example, let's return to the worm-gear bike for a moment:
>>>
>>><http://www.google.com/patents?id=nO9uAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=266945#PPP1,M1>
>>>
>>>It commits the always-fun mechanical sin of trying to drive a worm gear
>>>backwards. I'm no mechanical engineer, and there may be exceptions, but
>>>that never works.

>>Dear Ryan,
>>
>>Next you'll criticize the gigantic four-sided egg-beater pedals on the
>>model with the big teeth:
>> http://www.google.com/patents?id=JVtIAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=369224
>>
>>Hard-to-please posters like you are why I saw no ice-bikes today:
>> http://i28.tinypic.com/1zbciz5.jpg

>I suspect it has more to do with the impracticality of using anything
>at all on ice as thin as the rime on that water. That, and the fact
>that in your neck of the woods, ice is doubtless regarded as something
>to stay the heck off of.

Dear Werehatrack,

You'd never see me out on the ice, but . . .

It actually gets thicker than you'd expect in the upper reaches of the
reservoir.

When the Arkansas freezes and then thaws above the reservoir, it often
floats three-foot thick ice floes up above the dropping water level to
line its own banks

A friend saw this coyote at--

Er, on Blue Mesa Reservoir:
http://i25.tinypic.com/21j6dfp.jpg