Seasonal tune up ideas

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Boberto, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Boberto

Boberto New Member

Greetings All!

Newbie road biker here and with spring around the corner and hopefully no more snow in Minnesota, I'm excited to hit the roads/paths for the first time (in a long time). I purchased a bike that was sitting in someone's closet and it needs some TLC, so I was hoping to do most of it myself rather than paying the local bike shops $180+ for a seasonal tune up. I did do some googling but I'm not savvy on the terms so of course I ended up with motorcycle stuff, 'cycling' which could go down completely the wrong path, etc... and just not good resources.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

The two main things that I make sure to do is the clean my bike, like really really clean it, and make it look as new as possible, and I always inspect the brakes. I have gotten pretty good at looking at my brakes and diagnosing and fixing any issues, and it usually does not require anything more than that. I try to avoid the shop, but sometimes that is just not possible.

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Around here a basic tune-up costs around $69-80. That generally includes adjusting shifting, brakes, hubs, and headset, a general exterior cleaning, lubing the chain, and non-invasive wheel truing. New parts and any procedure that requires removing components other than wheels would be extra.

If you've got basic tools, desire to learn, and are detail-oriented, you can do most of this yourself.