Seat adjustment with aero bars

TTRon

Jun 17, 2004
I installed a set of Pro Design aero bars on my Trek 5500.

I love them as they are very comfortable on my back and legs, but not on my butt area. I get numb in the "that area". Is this normal with aero bars? I don't recall this problem with my last bike & set.

I have moved the seat forward and down just a bit. Should I move the seat down further?

Appreciate the guidance!

Ron

Are you sliding forward and riding on the nose of the saddle when in the aerobars? If so, you should shorten the aerobars. If you have a non-adjustable length model, see if you can exchange them for a shorter model.

Also, make sure you are rotating your pelvis forward.

Another thing that might help is slightly offsetting the nose of your saddle to one side.

Don't lower the seat and don't angle the nose down.

Yes, I can adjust them shorter! I will try that!

I don't understand the "rotating your pelvis forward" comment. Could you elaborate?

THANKS!

Originally posted by TTRon
Yes, I can adjust them shorter! I will try that!

I don't understand the "rotating your pelvis forward" comment. Could you elaborate?

THANKS!

Some people, when going from the top or hoods down to the drops or aerobars will not rotate their pelvis forward and instead arch their back to achieve the lower position. This can result in discomfort and will also tend to pull one to the nose of the saddle.

I moved my aero bars back 1/2 inch and tried to rotate the pelvis. Seemed to go well after a short 50 minute ride.

I also moved the seat back to even, angled down before.

Thanks again!