Seat Adjustment with Change of Shoe

Postie

Sep 25, 2003
I have what I'm thinking is a dumb question in which I feel I know the answer, but I'd like to throw it out there just to make sure.

I, just as many riders, am very particular about my seat height. Personally if I'm making adjustments to my fit, I do it in small amounts (say up to 3mm at a time). I just purchased a new custom orthotic for my shoe and it is about an entire centimeter thicker then my old non-custom insert. Fortunately, my foot still fits comfortably in my shoe.

My question is, "If I put a custom orthotic insole into my shoe that raises my foot from the bottom of the shoe by a cm, should I not raise the seat height by a cm as well to compensate for the shorter pedal reach?"

In my mind, adding that orthotic is the same as shortening my cranks....

Maybe I would not raise the height that much as your insole will probably be thinner when you wil have really molded you foot into after a few rides, and eventually , with wear, it will be about the same as your older sole......if you ride a lot

Maybe rising your height half of what you wanted would be good, but is 5mm worth of adjusting it??

Originally posted by Postie
I have what I'm thinking is a dumb question in which I feel I know the answer, but I'd like to throw it out there just to make sure.

I, just as many riders, am very particular about my seat height. Personally if I'm making adjustments to my fit, I do it in small amounts (say up to 3mm at a time). I just purchased a new custom orthotic for my shoe and it is about an entire centimeter thicker then my old non-custom insert. Fortunately, my foot still fits comfortably in my shoe.

My question is, "If I put a custom orthotic insole into my shoe that raises my foot from the bottom of the shoe by a cm, should I not raise the seat height by a cm as well to compensate for the shorter pedal reach?"

In my mind, adding that orthotic is the same as shortening my cranks....
You effectiively lengthened your leg.The solution is obvious.

I think that you should raise your saddle up too. You may even want to move your saddle forward just a bit or check you KOP measurement. In the winter months I lower my saddle just a bit to compensate for the thicker clothes on my butt. I can notice a small change in something that affects my saddle height but I would go with how it feels to you. I would think you could deffinately feel a differance in adding 10mm to your sole thickness. Just a thought.