seat and computer?

Henry

Guest
Being on a tight budget, I've been riding my new-to-me Trek 4500. The seat is very hard, I forget
the brand, but it has almost no padding. I'm looking for an inexpensive but comfortable and
functional seat. I've been doing neighborhood riding with my family and technical stuff with buddies
and hope to do some racing next month.

Any particular seat I should get? Maybe more important, is there any I should not get? How much
should I expect to pay? Would like to stay under $30 if possible.

I'm also seeking recommendations on a computer. Are there any standouts or basically all the same in
each price category?

Henry wrote:

> Being on a tight budget, I've been riding my new-to-me Trek 4500. The seat is very hard, I forget
> the brand, but it has almost no padding. I'm looking for an inexpensive but comfortable and
> functional seat. I've been doing neighborhood riding with my family and technical stuff with
> buddies and hope to do some racing next month.
>
> Any particular seat I should get? Maybe more important, is there any I should not get? How much
> should I expect to pay? Would like to stay under $30 if possible.
>
> I'm also seeking recommendations on a computer. Are there any standouts or basically all the same
> in each price category?

Stick with that hard seat and get good bike shorts. Softer saddles collapse, allowing pressure on
your "soft tissue" areas. Hard saddles support your sit bones. Before you do ANYTHING, mess around
with the saddle tilt, marking each starting point. A little goes a long way here!

For the computer, my favorite is the Cateye Enduro 2. I've got four of them, all have been though
rain, show, heat, crashes, etc... I think they're a great deal at approx. $27.

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> spake thusly on or about Wed,
12 Feb 2003 01:24:35 UTC

-> For the computer, my favorite is the Cateye Enduro 2. I've got four of -> them, all have been
though rain, show, heat, crashes, etc... I think -> they're a great deal at approx. $27. ->

I will second this reccomendation. the heavy duty harness is great and it allows for two sets of
wheels if you switchg between summer and winter or knobbies and slicks. Mine has worked for as long
as an hour at -38C (slowly near the end mind you). it might have gone longer but I did not.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

I just bought a specialized 02 comp, i absolutely love it i think it was $39 on specialize.com .

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Being on a tight budget, I've been riding my new-to-me Trek 4500. The seat is very hard, I forget
> the brand, but it has almost no padding. I'm looking for an inexpensive but comfortable and
> functional seat. I've been doing neighborhood riding with my family and technical stuff with
> buddies and hope to do some racing next month.
>
> Any particular seat I should get? Maybe more important, is there any I should not get? How much
> should I expect to pay? Would like to stay under $30 if possible.

And as for a computer i have a supergo with the built in heart rate monitor which has held up pretty
good so far. The mount is the only thing that has given me any troubles at all but for $30 bucks
with the heart rate monitor i can forgive and forget that

Henry wrote:

> Being on a tight budget, I've been riding my new-to-me Trek 4500. The seat is very hard, I forget
> the brand, but it has almost no padding. I'm looking for an inexpensive but comfortable and
> functional seat. I've been doing neighborhood riding with my family and technical stuff with
> buddies and hope to do some racing next month.
>
> Any particular seat I should get? Maybe more important, is there any I should not get? How much
> should I expect to pay? Would like to stay under $30 if possible.
>
> I'm also seeking recommendations on a computer. Are there any standouts or basically all the same
> in each price category?

Either the Cateye Enduro 2 or the Sigma Sport BC800 are very good (and cheap) computers.

Saddles are individual preference. Look for a saddle with a fore flexible base, and not one with
more padding. Thick padding rarely leads to comfort, and often causes more discomfort.

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:qfOMuGrZTFdc-pn2-QR0enZOMSc43@merlin...
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> spake thusly on or about
> Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:24:35 UTC
>
> -> For the computer, my favorite is the Cateye Enduro 2. I've got four of -> them, all have been
> though rain, show, heat, crashes, etc... I think -> they're a great deal at approx. $27. ->
>
> I will second this reccomendation. the heavy duty harness is great and it allows for two sets of
> wheels if you switchg between summer and winter or knobbies and slicks. Mine has worked for as
> long as an hour at -38C (slowly near the end mind you). it might have gone longer but I did not.

I'll third it. I'm quite happy with mine. Basic little computer but cheap, easy to set up and once
the initial "Ooooo... a new toy!" syndrome fades it's got all the basic info that I need. Still, a
high-end GPS would be pretty cool. One that does altitude too.

Westie