Seat Angle - Sliding down

Slugger

Guest
Can anyone recommend a different seat for a Sun EZ Sport. As soft as
the seat is, I have found that I slide down towards the pedals too
much. Someone here mentioned they put some washers under the seat
mounts in the bottom of the seat base to raise the front up a bit. This
seems a little micky mouse but it might do the trick. I'd be interested
in a different seat like the cyclegenius one however. Is there a nicer
seat for the Sun with a more articulate seat base?

Thanks

This isn't really an answer to your question......more like a
validation of what you are experiencing with your Sun EZ seat. I
bought a Sun EZ3 USX recumbent under-seat steer trike, with which I am
madly in love. (My wife notwithstanding...lol)

The seat on my trike took quite a bit of shimming underneath before it
would hold my body in a stable plumb position relative to the trike's
frame. Even though the foam seat looked square and plumb, I found that
when sitting on the trike, my hips were rotated down to the right and
my legs were skewed to the left.

To make matters worse, the whole seat was shifted to the right by
approx. one-half an inch. Not very good for the knees!!

I don't think shimming the seat is a mickey-mouse solution to your
problem; if you would start with that, you might be satisfied with
your present seat.

Sincerely,

Mark

Whats the best way to do it?
Did you use rubber or just some washers? I'm worried the inserts will
pull out of the seat base. Also roughly how high did you shim the front
up?

Thanks
Slugger

In article <[email protected]>,
<"[email protected]"> wrote:

> This isn't really an answer to your question......more like a
> validation of what you are experiencing with your Sun EZ seat. I
> bought a Sun EZ3 USX recumbent under-seat steer trike, with which I am
> madly in love. (My wife notwithstanding...lol)
>
> The seat on my trike took quite a bit of shimming underneath before it
> would hold my body in a stable plumb position relative to the trike's
> frame. Even though the foam seat looked square and plumb, I found that
> when sitting on the trike, my hips were rotated down to the right and
> my legs were skewed to the left.
>
> To make matters worse, the whole seat was shifted to the right by
> approx. one-half an inch. Not very good for the knees!!
>
> I don't think shimming the seat is a mickey-mouse solution to your
> problem; if you would start with that, you might be satisfied with
> your present seat.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mark

I started by removing the seat base from the seat mounting flange, so
that I could elongate the mounting holes in the flange so as to shift
the entire seat over to the left, thusly centering the seat on the
frame.

Next, I cut a piece of flat steel stock to serve as my shim (1/8-inch
thick), drilled holes thru the shim and bolted the seat base back onto
the mounting flange with shim in place. The original mounting bolts
were more than long enough to accommodate the thickness of the new
shim.

I did not shim up the front of the seat, only the right side, about an
eighth of an inch. That levelled the seat just fine, and now my torso
is plumb and square to the trike's frame.

Hope this helps,

Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
<"[email protected]"> wrote:

> I started by removing the seat base from the seat mounting flange, so
> that I could elongate the mounting holes in the flange so as to shift
> the entire seat over to the left, thusly centering the seat on the
> frame.
>
> Next, I cut a piece of flat steel stock to serve as my shim (1/8-inch
> thick), drilled holes thru the shim and bolted the seat base back onto
> the mounting flange with shim in place. The original mounting bolts
> were more than long enough to accommodate the thickness of the new
> shim.
>
> I did not shim up the front of the seat, only the right side, about an
> eighth of an inch. That levelled the seat just fine, and now my torso
> is plumb and square to the trike's frame.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mark

I asked the fellas down at the LBS what they thought and they proceded
to place a stack of 6 washers under the front bolts and two under the
back. He added longer bolts to accomodate the extra space. While this
make a bigger difference i'd still like a larger tilt. I may fashion a
chunk of ply wood to fit in there to give it a bigger lift.

Thanks for your thoughts Mark.