seat base instructions

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by juggling_guy, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. juggling_guy

    juggling_guy Guest

    Hey, dose anybody no where i can find some detailed instructions on how
    to fit my cf seat base to the rest of the seat, iv looked on .com but
    could'nt find anything useful.

    Any sugestions
    thanks, stu

    --
    juggling_guy - up an coming

    just because i can dose not mean i will
    juggling_guy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5954

  2. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "juggling_guy" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hey, dose anybody no where i can find some detailed instructions on how
    > to fit my cf seat base to the rest of the seat, iv looked on .com but
    > could'nt find anything useful.

    I used double sided tape to stick a homemade seatpost bolt template to
    the seatbase and drilled the holes with a drill press. If you want my
    template I can send you the Intellicad (Autocad clone) file or mail it
    if you send me an SASE (email me for address). For the handle and
    bumper holes, I just used a punch to mark the locations, making sure
    to leave enough room for the cover.

    After drilling the holes, I used a small tapered file to make them
    square to fit the carriage bolts (6mm or 1/4"). I'm convinced that
    carriage bolts are the way to go for air seats because the protrusion
    above the base is minimal and smooth.

    Next, install the bolts and cover the heads with tape to hold them in
    place and prevent the air bladder from being pinched.

    Now choose your padding. I'm still working on getting my air seat
    dialed in so listen to others for good advice. Right now, I'm using a
    very fat (like 3" or more) 12" innertube, folded in thirds with a
    piece of foam from an old camping pad on top, but it still needs work
    (tape to hold the inrertube in position and foam on the sides to
    protect my legs from the wide handle). You'll need to drill a hole
    for the valve stem. I sanded the edges smooth to prevent damage to
    the tube.

    Then cut holes in the cover to go around the bolts and assemble.

    Use a piece of old innertube where the seatpost touches to keep the
    base from being cut.

    Also see John Child's Airseat Gallery:
    [http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Airseat].

    Ken

  3. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Here's two threads that cover drilling the holes in a CF seat base:
    'Spinning bolts on CF seat base' (http://tinyurl.com/5txqs)
    'Kinport Vs Reeder, and other Seat Q's' (http://tinyurl.com/4wrur)

    I'll also attach a zipped PDF document with instructions by Roger
    Davies. The PDF document includes a template, but ignore the template.
    The holes in the template are not going to be in the correct place. It
    is much much better to use the actual hardware as a template to position
    the holes. The PDF document has good instructions for drilling the
    holes which is why I'm including it. Do not use the PDF document as an
    actual template.

    And try to find a square file. I've used a triangular file because that
    is what I had, but a small square file would be much better.

    | Attachment filename: us seat instructions.zip |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/231247|

    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com