Seat Creak

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Pace, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

As the title has stated my seat has developed a creak. Is that the sign that it is time for a new 1? Or is this just normal after a few 1000 miles?

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

It usually means it's time to do some maintenance. It can be hard to pin down creaks but it's likely coming either from the seat post itself where it's clamped in the tube or from the saddle rails where they're clamped into the seatpost. In either case mark the current position, take it apart, clean it, consider applying some carbon assembly paste to the seat post (very good idea if it's a carbon post, carbon bike or both but still can be useful for alloy components though a thin layer of grease can work for alloy posts in metal framed bikes) and reassemble and tighten everything.

If it's actually the seat as in where the rails enter the saddle body then there might not be much you can do other than replace the saddle itself but IME it's usually one of the normal assembly points.

Good luck,
    -Dave

3. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

No you pinned it with the saddle rails. I can grab my seat and wiggle it like my arse would and I can replicate the creak. I will try the paste/greese. TY for the response.

4. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

"I can grab my seat and wiggle it like my arse would and I can replicate the creak."

If your saddle rails are creaking and they are clamped tightly by the seat post, it's probably the rail/saddle shell sockets or the shell, itself, that is creaking.

A little oil in the sockets may help. Inspect for bent rails and cracks to the shell.

5. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

And the grease worked. Took the sea off the bike. Washed the parts as they were dirty. Greased the parts and put i back together. No creak. loving it.

While I was at it I slammed my stem and rotated my bars so the drops were even with the pipe. Feels really good and a lot better then sitting up like I was. I am also liking my new Easton rear rim.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

That's a big change in handlebar height and reach that you made. Iffin' I were you I'd keep a close eye on your back, neck, and shoulders.

7. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

I will, but I rode it well over 30 miles today and I felt fine. I am thinking (and correct me if I am wrong,) But my orig fitting was done at 290 lbs. and also I was coming off a walmart mountain bike. so I felt stretched out. Now I am 250/245lbs depending on the dinner the night b4 and it just felt good so I think the bike fit fluctuates with your body weight. Am I right?

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Certainly bike fit can and does change with fitness. It can even change within a season. For instance if you don't cycle much over a winter, you might find that your normal bike position is a bit too much when you start cycling again in the spring (just an example). I'm just saying to be wary of your body. You might not feel the effects of such a large change yet, or maybe you'll only feel them on long rides. Maybe you won't feel any effects at all. In general, it's not the best idea to make big changes in bike fit as it gives your body very little time to adapt. So again, just pay attention to what your body tells you .

9. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

will do, ty man

10. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

" So again, just pay attention to what your body tells you ."

This...coming from the guy that is constantly repeating the mantra that the human is a poor judge of what is going on???!!!