seat drag/push glide/coast idea

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by dan de man, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    i was thinking while practising my seat drags if it would be possible to
    put you feet onto the frame then either use you feeat to slow it down
    or to just coast on the frma while do ing a seat drag/push
    in short :possible or not

    --
    dan de man

    Jethro wrote:
    > Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.
    >
    > Help yourself to anything in the fridge.
    >
    > And please don't feed the clowns.

    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

  2. Tomleyden

    Tomleyden Guest

    probably the extra weight on the frame would push the seat into the
    grouind with more force so the extra friction would stop you moving.
    but if you found a way around it that would be awesome:)

    --
    Tomleyden
    Tomleyden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11440

  3. giraffe

    giraffe Guest

    could do it as a crank roll kinda thing...not as cool tho :)

    --
    giraffe

    evil-nick wrote:
    > Trials biker after seeing me jump off a concrete barrier: "How do you
    > keep from squashing your nuts!?"
    > Me: "I use those for cushioning!"

    :p
    giraffe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9372

  4. Erant

    Erant Guest

  5. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

  6. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    yeah, wouldnt the pedals hit your your foot when your cranks are
    spinning>?

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley
    James_Potter-
    I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
    travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
    and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  7. Erant

    Erant Guest

    That ofcourse all depends on how far you're putting your feet forward. I
    think crown-height would be pretty safe. You're putting LOADS of stress
    on your seat/seatpost then though. You'd also NEED that little wheel in
    your seat.

    --
    Erant

    Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
    Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986

  8. unisteez

    unisteez Guest

    you would have to stand up near the crown, and with that kind of
    pressure on the uni/seat(even with a wheel) it seems like something
    would break, im thinking that the seat might somehow break..if you
    could figure it out, it would be way sick.

    --
    unisteez
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988

  9. tomtrevor

    tomtrevor Guest

  10. lucky_8

    lucky_8 Guest

  11. gossi

    gossi Guest

    Well I come up earlier with this idea. So my background of this trick do
    "surf" on my uni from drag seat. But as some here figured out, the uni
    stops immediately after putting more weight on the frame. Well, that
    was around the time where I was happy about some meters of drag seat.
    I'm doing this trick pretty stable by now, so I will give this trick a
    try later on at the training.

    --
    gossi
    gossi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3464

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    You have two things to overcome:

    First is friction. Your feet will have to be at the crown or higher,
    which will bring any normal-seated uni to an instant stop. As a
    stopping skill, it could be pretty cool on its own but that's not why
    we're here. If you added some sort of concealed wheels or casters, you
    could overcome this. But make the wheels too obvious, and you stop
    being a unicycle.

    The second thing is instability of the platform. Once you get off the
    pedals, you've lost your grip on keeping the cycle from flopping over.
    You could flatten the end of the seat and/or use *two* wheels/casters
    for this. Or some frame modifications that would give your feet enough
    input to hold the wheel upright.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  13. primus

    primus Guest