Seat for heavy rider??

mooksy

Apr 28, 2004
Hi folks
I am on the lookout for a new seat for my road bike. I know saddle choice is always a very personal decision but I wonder if there are any larger & heavier riders (220lb) out there, who have found a road seat that really suits them? Thanks!!

Originally posted by mooksy
Hi folks
I am on the lookout for a new seat for my road bike. I know saddle choice is always a very personal decision but I wonder if there are any larger & heavier riders (220lb) out there, who have found a road seat that really suits them? Thanks!!
a thin saddle helps if you have big thigh's. a brooks sallde is good on the sit bones but mine tends to push me forward and makes my hands sore.

Originally posted by stevek
a thin saddle helps if you have big thigh's. a brooks sallde is good on the sit bones but mine tends to push me forward and makes my hands sore.

Move your Brooks "slightly" forward of where you usually mount any other saddle. I think this may fix the "push me forward" problem.

it's as far as it can go. but I figured out what the problem was. when I used it last I had sachs ergo shifters. now I have a time trial bar with break levers and bar ends. so my heel of my hand is on the bar differently. So the only real solution would be to go back to the orgilnal setup.

I picked up a Specialized Crossroads hybrid in a yard sale (the bike is at least 5 years old) and it had a Specialized Air Gel seat. It strikes a compromise in shape between a "Bubba sized Barstool" and a racing type road seat.
Now my beautiful Selle Italia Flite Ti rail leather seat which came on my 91 Serotta Colorado II is gathering dust in my garage!

I am weighing in at 190-195lbs. I ride a Selle Italia SLR Ti. I love the seat. It may not look like much, but it is comfortable.

Ron

Originally posted by mooksy
Hi folks

There have been a couple of threads in the last week or so on this topic, but I'll wade in again with my two cents (and a mixed metaphor for free!) - You can't go past the SI Turbomatic 4 for big men, particularly if like me you're wide in the hips as well as heavy. Steer clear of the cut-out models (I call them "cookie cutters", based on painful experience of more than one) and the sub-200g featherweights - you need strength, surface area and support! Also the vibration damping elastomers in the T4 do exactly what they're supposed to do. I've even tried an Arione and went back to the T4.

Originally posted by stevek
it's as far as it can go. but I figured out what the problem was. when I used it last I had sachs ergo shifters. now I have a time trial bar with break levers and bar ends. so my heel of my hand is on the bar differently. So the only real solution would be to go back to the orgilnal setup.

You could try tilting you saddle "nose up"(but no more than 2-3mm off horizontal else you invite lower back strain). This might tip you and your centre of gravity back a little on the saddle and take some of the load off your hands.

that does other problems (G) what I really need is a flat saddle. I don't think till I loose enough weight I wll find a saddle that is truly comfy. each time I loose some weight my sitbones hurt again. some days a saddle feels fine some days not.

Being a heavy rider i'd steer clear of gel saddles if i were you. I've a Selle Italia Titanium Gel which used to cripple me. I weigh 180 lbs. I found it too soft as if i were sinking into it all the time instead of being seated upon it. I've since switched to the non gel version which is much more comfortable for me, more solid, just better.

The saddle has got to be the most important part to a bike in terms of comfort. You could own the most expensive machine known to man but if the saddle feels like a razor blade you'll not want to ride it no matter what.

I weigh in at about 230 or so, and I have had good luck with Selle Italia Flites, and most recently the Fizik Arione. I find the added surface area helps out greatly. It is also a fairly slim saddle so it eliminates any rubbing against the thighs. The recessed suede stripe down the middle also helps if you are worried at all about sensitive areas. I too, have found that anything with a cutout is a very painful saddle!!! Good luck...

Jeff

Yeah I'm a fat bloke and I just changed over to a Selle Italia Trans Am. Ahh the bliss!!!!. If you have a good bike shop in your area the will let you try out a few saddles at your leisure to find the one that fits you the best.