seat height

I
Hello,
I've been very pleased with the following method:
after riding easily for 10 minutes or so (in order to loosen up the legs), sit on the bike and with the leg parallel to the seat tube, place your heel on the pedal. Your leg should be totally extended. If not, adjust the seat up or down accordingly. When your leg is totally straight with the heel on the pedal, when in the normal riding position of ball of foot on the pedal, your leg(s) will have a slight, 20-30 degree, bend which is optimal.

Hope this helps!
Best regards

Yep, the old "heel on the pedal with a straight leg"m method is great, at the very least as good starting point.

Originally Posted by flan48
I
Hello,
I've been very pleased with the following method:
after riding easily for 10 minutes or so (in order to loosen up the legs), sit on the bike and with the leg parallel to the seat tube, place your heel on the pedal. Your leg should be totally extended. If not, adjust the seat up or down accordingly. When your leg is totally straight with the heel on the pedal, when in the normal riding position of ball of foot on the pedal, your leg(s) will have a slight, 20-30 degree, bend which is optimal.

Hope this helps!
Best regards
thanks flan this works good for me

Funny question to ask. I figure most learn this when they are a kid. The seat is a big deal and so is balance when you are small. You've got to be able to touch the ground in case you need it with your feet. You don't want to hurt yourself and your little short legs can't pedal if you are too far away from them. I always like the ball of my one foot to be able to touch the ground when leaning to the side in a stationary position before starting. Being able to pedal without anything else getting in the way while standing or sitting during a ride.