Seat help for meeeeee

fitadude

Dec 23, 2007
After doing a search for threads on this subject, I did not find the right info so I ask this question.
I am a cancer survivor and after loosing most of my left abductor muscle and having 40 radiation treatments it is back to the bike. My left buttocks is very stiff and hard from the treatments. The best way for me to describe it is to think if a hot dog that was in the microwave to long.
I have a flite TI saddle now and is not making the cut for the new butt. I need something that is better to my sit bone. Not much cushion left there now.
Any help that you guys can throw my way is much appreciated.

Thanks

fitadude said:
I have a flite TI saddle now and is not making the cut for the new butt. I need something that is better to my sit bone. Not much cushion left there now.
Any help that you guys can throw my way is much appreciated.

Thanks
Being unfamiliar with your medical condition, the amount of riding you're doing, and the shape of your butt, I'm finding it difficult to help. But maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Generally, a saddle that's too soft can be uncomfortable by putting pressure in areas that can't handle it. On the other hand, several older style saddles that are still available have firm padding, leather covers, and more surface area to spread the pressure around. These are the San Marco Rolls and Regal models. One saddle that's been out of production for years but is still available on ebay is the Selle Italia Turbo. The Turbos I have on two of my vintage bikes are terrific.

Many riders also recommend traditional unpadded leather saddles such as permutations of the Brooks B-17 and Professional models. The main advantages are that they're wider and they eventually break in to your personal fit. The operative word here is "eventually."

I almost hesitate to point you elsewhere, but compared to this site. the number of users over at bikeforums.net is a lot higher, so the chance of finding someone with similar issues may be a little higher there.

You may also want to consider contacting some group like the Lance Armstrong Foundation to see if they have anyone they can refer.

I do understand from reading that for the traditional rider, it isn't padding, but proper cradling of the pressure points that is critical.

Contacting saddle manufacturers may give you some insight as well. Perhaps some will be biased, but some can be useful too.

Good luck on finding the information you need.