seat hight?

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all, i have no trouble with my seat position, but was wondering what methods other people have used to set the saddle height. One thing i have noticed is that EVERY book that you read seems to tell you a diffrent way to achieve this. So what method did you use? And did you have to tweak it after a while to achieve perfection. cheers

After a year of fiddling I found that 1.09 times my inseam (seat to pedal axle) is the best. Lemonds method .883 of inseam (from seat to bb) is too high.

nath1 said:
Hi all, i have no trouble with my seat position, but was wondering what methods other people have used to set the saddle height. One thing i have noticed is that EVERY book that you read seems to tell you a diffrent way to achieve this. So what method did you use? And did you have to tweak it after a while to achieve perfection. cheers

Frinton said:
Lemonds method .883 of inseam (from seat to bb) is too high.
Lemonds method seems radical because his riding style dictates it. Lemond prefers relaxed seat angles, longer top tubes and your b*tt really sticking out in the air and being on the drops way down low.

Trial and error for me... I am probably back and low compared to many, but I can get more power this way. FWIW I still change it every now and then.

i still like the good old "heels on the pedals" technique, at least as a starting point: with your shoes off, you should able to just reach the pedals with your legs straight at the bottom the stroke, without your **** rocking on the saddle.

That is funny. I did it the trial and error way, a long time ago, and perfected it over time. Then a week ago or so, this topic came up here and some people mentioned the heels on the pedal method. So, just to see if it works, I went and tried it on my bike, with the current saddle height. It was shocking because to my amazement I was at the perfect height which the "heels on the pedal" method dictates.

So my experience gave me the same height as this method would have. But people are so different, that any method should always be further tested by trial and error to get the perfect height.

free_rideman said:
That is funny. I did it the trial and error way, a long time ago, and perfected it over time. Then a week ago or so, this topic came up here and some people mentioned the heels on the pedal method. So, just to see if it works, I went and tried it on my bike, with the current saddle height. It was shocking because to my amazement I was at the perfect height which the "heels on the pedal" method dictates.
ha!! :) I've had similar experiences. I've tried going "high tech" with all the % methods on the net, and tweaked the height from there, fine tuning ~1.5mm at a time, then noticed I end up back at the "heels" height.