seat issues

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by david462, May 14, 2006.

1. david462

david462 New Member

im a beginner, and for the time being im borrowing an old road bike...

after a 2 hour ride, i am pretty sore in the common areas. but whats the worst is that my weiner gets very very numb during the ride. i didnt think much of it while riding. but after the ride, it still felt numb for a long time after. even the next day it didnt feel right. 2 days later its back to normal (i think?) but now im scared to get back on the bike.

i was wearing a cheap pair of bike shorts, but i just ordered a new pair from performance bike so hopefully that will help some.

but i think its mostly the seat, either that or my riding position.

so my next purchase i think needs to be a new seat. i cant spend too much money here cause i still need to buy shoes/pedals very soon.

i need suggestions for a new seat, or any other suggestions to ease my pain from riding. im 5'10" 160lbs if that helps.

Tags:

2. nath1

nath1 New Member

Yes i too had the same prob, i switched to a gel flite saddle by selle , its as comfy as a sofa, i love it , plus it is reasonable in cost too. cheers

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Consider a saddle with a hole in the middle... helped me a lot. Usually a numb weiner (is that the technical definition?:p) has a lot to do with your position. Go to a shop to make sure that your position is not too far off...

To start, make sure you seat is level, then start playing with positioning in millimeters until you get it to where you have no more numbness...

A few examples...

4. Wino Ryder

Wino Ryder New Member

Your perinneal parts going numb is a common occurance for new bike riders. Not to say the issue does'nt need to be addressed, of course, because it certainly does, but only that you're not alone on this. The other poster's recomendation of a Selle Italia "Flite" saddle is a good one. There are lots of good saddles out there, even some with "cut-outs" that are designed just for that. Dont be afraid to ride your bike again. I think you just need more time riding so your body can adapt to it. Try adjusting the level of your saddle first. It needs to be as close to level as possible. If your saddle is of the "soft" kind, that may well be the root of your problem because your sit-bones are not supporting your weight!....they're sinking into the saddle, and your nether region (weiner area) is supporting your weight, caused by too soft a ride.

5. david462

david462 New Member

thats most likely it (soft saddle). thanks. the seat that is on the bike is old and i can press my thumb into it a good bit.

6. olddirtycracker

olddirtycracker New Member

A very slight tilt of the seat down in front migh help. Taking more frequent breaks definitely will.

7. capwater

capwater New Member

Most butt/weiner issues are saddle adjustment related. Now a new seat might help, but if not properly fitted, you'll be in the same boat as before.

8. david462

david462 New Member

well the seat that im using now is oooold. its pretty much level (angle) and its the right height. i think what i need is a stiffer seat with the middle cut out.

9. jimmay2000

jimmay2000 New Member

Plenty of massage????? ;)

10. buzznet

buzznet New Member

From my experience, your saddle is too high. Even if you are "fitted" your seat may be too high. 1/2 an inch or less in your saddle height can make all the difference.