Seat Marks?

MaxPrime

Jul 20, 2003
Since I began riding a lot, I have gotten a small, purple line on the inside of my leg where my seat makes contact. What is this?

Could be caused by friction. Are you using a good chamois cream?

MaxPrime said:
Since I began riding a lot, I have gotten a small, purple line on the inside of my leg where my seat makes contact. What is this?
Can also be caused by pressure to that spot by the edge of the chamois. I got them too, they don't seem to cause any problems for me. Look kinda like a cross between stretch marks and a scar that's been polished smooth and shiny. Also, guys with bigger legs are more apt to get these marks, especially of you have relatively narrow hips

Exactly! Same color and everything.

I don't use a chamois cream - what purpose do they serve?

MaxPrime said:
First, you don't want a purple line or any kind of irritation. If there is an appreciable edge between the insert and the shorts it will irrtate your skin. Buy better shorts. I experienced blistering on a couple of 500 mile week rides even with added lubrication. The damage was caused by the edge of the insert. The harder you ride the more irritation you'll experience. Don't "short change" yourself (hehehe) with less expensive shorts. You'll notice the better shorts have a thin edge. Any lub will do. Butt Butter is mineral oil with a scent. It is more exxxpensive and has a catchie name. Some lubs use glycerin. I like those. Some use Bag Balm, otherwise known as a udder cream. It includes an antiseptic (I think) and it is used to treat Elsie's boobies. It's base compound is vasiline. Get the picture? ;)