Seat mod for R40's?

Geob

Guest
I have a 2001 R40. I like it, no complaints, except the difficulty in finding a place to mount a
mirror, water bottles and rear lights.

For the lights I am considering adding a short bar between the tops of the two seat frame up-rights.
Maybe I can find some light metal of a size that will slip into the existing tubing, and with a
couple of judicious bends it can be out of the way of my head and provide the mount area I need. Has
anybody done this?

Apart from a $70 seat-back bag, has anyone found a good way to mount water bottles?

Has anyone found a handle-bar mirror mount that really works?

Thanks! GeoB

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I have a 2001 R40. I like it, no complaints, except the difficulty in finding a place to mount a[/q1]
[q1]> mirror, water bottles and rear lights.[/q1]

If you are talking about a Vision R40, I assuming that you want more than the single water bottle. I
have currently mounted custom light mounts on the front bearing unit on both my Linear and my R42,
but I have also mounted stems and handlebars that were cut down to the length I wanted (I think
Larry Black at Mt. Airy did it from some basket cases sitting around..). The handlebar thing lets
you pretty much mount what you want, including mirrors, albeit on the Linear we're talking out of
reach, as long as you aren't planning to hang it from the bars.

The custom thingies (I have two different styles) generally are designed to mount a cyclometer and
one light. Again, on the Linear, they better be large-faced cyclometers, 'cause they are a long way
away. Vision used to sell them, but I haven't been on their web site for a long time...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

GeoB <[email protected]> wrote:
: I have a 2001 R40. I like it, no complaints, except the difficulty in finding a place to mount a
: mirror, water bottles and rear lights.

I attached a red led blinkie to the seatback bag. If you use hands to signal, a blinkie around the
wrist could be a good idea too :)

: Apart from a $70 seat-back bag, has anyone found a good way to mount water bottles?

A hydration system could fit nicely in the bag. I'd think the bike has plenty space lower, behind
the seat for some extra bags... maybe you can create something that would hold water bottles...

You could have a bottle in the pocket of your jacket or shirt too... I'm gonna experiment with a
belly-mounted unit that holds a 2 L hydration pack... The front side is not the most convenient
place for such things though, they easily get in the way of your thighs :-(

: Has anyone found a handle-bar mirror mount that really works?

Use a helmet-mounted mirror or just look around?

GeoB <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

I ride an R-42 USS, for water I added a rear cargo rack and a Performance bag which sits on top of
the rack. I put a camel back type water reservoir in the bag and run tubing over shoulder and under
helmet chin strap. I later built a tail box, made an attempt to make it aerodynamic, attached it to
rack and mounted rear flashing light on top of it. Works real well for carrying extras.

I have front fairing and attached mirror to fairing. In summer if I ride without fairing I use
helmet mirror.

Brad

I love hill, hills make me strong.

I had a Vision R44. I mounted water bottle cages on the seat stays with hose clamps. I ws able to
reach back and get a water bottle quite easily. I put tape on the stays before I attached the cages.

Jef

My R44 is a 1999 model with three adjustment strips on the back. The newer models have five strips
so they may be different but there are places between the strips where the seat frame tubing is
exposed and that's where I mounted my lights and cages. Between the top and middle strips I have a
Vista on each side: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=5652&Store=Bike You can
also use others such as these: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907103 I
think I'm gonna change to those. I have the front light version and I really like it. It flashes
more like an emergency light and may get more attention than the Vista.

As for the bottles I have Minoura mounts placed on each side, just above the bend in the tube:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983906037 Hope this helps.
P.S. In case you aren't already using them, you may want to try these bottles:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983905883

[...]

I also have a 2001 R40 SWB/USS,

For head lights and computer I bought the light/computer mount from Haluzak. It is a nice mount that
places them both centerline of the bike which makes for very nice astetics for anal retentive people
like me. See the bracket here: http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/headlightbracket.htm

For a rear light I bought a flashing vistalight light and made a small black cloth pocket (material
simialar to backpacks) with a clear plastic window. This pocket has an extra long flap on the top
that folds over the top seat adjustment strap and velcro's to itself on the back side. Kind of hard
to explain. I can take a picture if anyone is seriously interested.

For water my 2001 model has a screw on the frame main tube just forward of the rear tire, I used
this screw for the lower mount of a water bottle cage and used a zip tie on the upper mount and
place my water bottle under the seat. It is no problem what so ever to drink while riding, practice,
practice, practice.

For the mirror I prefer a helmet mounted one but I am considering one that mounts to my glasses.

See pictures, imagestation signup required.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291810041&p=4251253572&idx=8
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291810041
rc=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

John

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a 2001 R40. I like it, no complaints, except the difficulty in finding a place to mount a
> mirror, water bottles and rear lights.
>
> For the lights I am considering adding a short bar between the tops of the two seat frame
> up-rights. Maybe I can find some light metal of a size that will slip into the existing tubing,
> and with a couple of judicious bends it can be out of the way of my head and provide the mount
> area I need. Has anybody done this?
>
> Apart from a $70 seat-back bag, has anyone found a good way to mount water bottles?
>
> Has anyone found a handle-bar mirror mount that really works?
>
> Thanks! GeoB

I also have a 2001 R40 SWB/USS,

For head lights and computer I bought the light/computer mount from Haluzak. It is a nice mount that
places them both centerline of the bike which makes for very nice astetics for anal retentive people
like me. See the bracket here: http://www.haluzak.com/accessories/headlightbracket.htm

For a rear light I bought a flashing vistalight light and made a small black cloth pocket (material
simialar to backpacks) with a clear plastic window. This pocket has an extra long flap on the top
that folds over the top seat adjustment strap and velcro's to itself on the back side. Kind of hard
to explain. I can take a picture if anyone is seriously interested.

For water my 2001 model has a screw on the frame main tube just forward of the rear tire, I used
this screw for the lower mount of a water bottle cage and used a zip tie on the upper mount and
place my water bottle under the seat. It is no problem what so ever to drink while riding, practice,
practice, practice.

For the mirror I prefer a helmet mounted one but I am considering one that mounts to my glasses.

See pictures, imagestation signup required.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291810041&p=4251253572&idx=8
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291810041
rc=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

John

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a 2001 R40. I like it, no complaints, except the difficulty in finding a place to mount a
> mirror, water bottles and rear lights.
>
> For the lights I am considering adding a short bar between the tops of the two seat frame
> up-rights. Maybe I can find some light metal of a size that will slip into the existing tubing,
> and with a couple of judicious bends it can be out of the way of my head and provide the mount
> area I need. Has anybody done this?
>
> Apart from a $70 seat-back bag, has anyone found a good way to mount water bottles?
>
> Has anyone found a handle-bar mirror mount that really works?
>
> Thanks! GeoB

I have a 1999 Vision R44 USS and use the Minoura mount for my mirrycle mirror (and have been pleased
with it). I have a couple pics of the setup here:
http://bentonbicycling.tripod.com/bentphotoalbum/id2.html

You didn't say (to my recollection) whether your R40 was a USS or OSS bike, but on the R45 I plan to
buy later this year, I will probably buy the Hostel Shoppe's USS Accessory mount instead of the
Minoura setup. Here's the link. http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=990818354

~ Nanc 1990 Vision R44 USS 2001 RANS Vivo

I have a 1999 Vision R44 USS and use the Minoura mount for my mirrycle mirror (and have been pleased
with it). I have a couple pics of the setup here:
http://bentonbicycling.tripod.com/bentphotoalbum/id2.html

You didn't say (to my recollection) whether your R40 was a USS or OSS bike, but on the R45 I plan to
buy later this year, I will probably buy the Hostel Shoppe's USS Accessory mount instead of the
Minoura setup. Here's the link. http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=990818354

~ Nanc 1990 Vision R44 USS 2001 RANS Vivo

> If you are talking about a Vision R40,

Yes, it is a Vision R40.

> I assuming that you want more than the single water bottle.

What single water bottle? I have none. Where is it located? Is there provision for it from
the factory?

I also have a stem inserted into my "steerer"** :)
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#steerer) with a crossbar mounted on that. This setup
currently supports my headlight, cyclometer, and a flashing greenish LED array. I will shortly
install my old cyclometer setup to measure cadence.

** (do you think Sheldon just makes up a name when he needs one? :)

I have USS. This wasn't made clear in my previous post.

> The handlebar thing lets you pretty much mount what you want, including mirrors,

Oh! I see.. you make the crossbar long enough to give your mirror a view past your body. Hmmm..
sounds interesting. Or maybe I should mount a mirror on a gooseneck lamp shaft, attach it to the new
cross bar I am considering, and loop it up over my head. I think I have transended the 'dork' look
on my way to 'borg' look.

> albeit on the Linear we're talking out of reach,

Which reminds me.. I hate leaning forward to cycle through the different modes on my computer. I am
considering mounting a horn-button type momentary contact switch near my hand grips that will change
modes when tapped by a finger. Wonder if anybody here has done that.

> The custom thingies (I have two different styles) generally are designed to mount a cyclometer and
> one light. Again, on the Linear, they better be large-faced cyclometers, 'cause they are a long
> way away.

Yes, I have to squint at mine... and if historical trends continue I will be squinting even more in
the future.

> Vision used to sell them, but I haven't been on their web site for a long time...

Think they still do.

> If you are talking about a Vision R40,

Yes, it is a Vision R40.

> I assuming that you want more than the single water bottle.

What single water bottle? I have none. Where is it located? Is there provision for it from
the factory?

I also have a stem inserted into my "steerer"** :)
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#steerer) with a crossbar mounted on that. This setup
currently supports my headlight, cyclometer, and a flashing greenish LED array. I will shortly
install my old cyclometer setup to measure cadence.

** (do you think Sheldon just makes up a name when he needs one? :)

I have USS. This wasn't made clear in my previous post.

> The handlebar thing lets you pretty much mount what you want, including mirrors,

Oh! I see.. you make the crossbar long enough to give your mirror a view past your body. Hmmm..
sounds interesting. Or maybe I should mount a mirror on a gooseneck lamp shaft, attach it to the new
cross bar I am considering, and loop it up over my head. I think I have transended the 'dork' look
on my way to 'borg' look.

> albeit on the Linear we're talking out of reach,

Which reminds me.. I hate leaning forward to cycle through the different modes on my computer. I am
considering mounting a horn-button type momentary contact switch near my hand grips that will change
modes when tapped by a finger. Wonder if anybody here has done that.

> The custom thingies (I have two different styles) generally are designed to mount a cyclometer and
> one light. Again, on the Linear, they better be large-faced cyclometers, 'cause they are a long
> way away.

Yes, I have to squint at mine... and if historical trends continue I will be squinting even more in
the future.

> Vision used to sell them, but I haven't been on their web site for a long time...

Think they still do.

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > If you are talking about a Vision R40,
>
> Yes, it is a Vision R40.
>
> > I assuming that you want more than the single water bottle.
>
> What single water bottle? I have none. Where is it located? Is there provision for it from the
> factory?

My R42 has braze-ons (probably press-ins, considering the metal and location) just in front of the
seat to mount on bottle cage. There are places that will add mounts like that - had several bottle
cage braze-ons added on touring frames in the old days. No biggy (sort of like toggle bolts for
walls - with wider tubing on the Visions, you could try it yourself - a bit easier than on double
butted Columbus tubing), but my water primarily comes from a Camelback, so didn't do it on the R42.
With the old stiff rear triangle (which I have) there are also places to mount down low on the
triangle (within reach on a recumbent) using clamps, but I didn't bother since my water bottles are
just supplements on most rides.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > If you are talking about a Vision R40,
>
> Yes, it is a Vision R40.
>
> > I assuming that you want more than the single water bottle.
>
> What single water bottle? I have none. Where is it located? Is there provision for it from the
> factory?

My R42 has braze-ons (probably press-ins, considering the metal and location) just in front of the
seat to mount on bottle cage. There are places that will add mounts like that - had several bottle
cage braze-ons added on touring frames in the old days. No biggy (sort of like toggle bolts for
walls - with wider tubing on the Visions, you could try it yourself - a bit easier than on double
butted Columbus tubing), but my water primarily comes from a Camelback, so didn't do it on the R42.
With the old stiff rear triangle (which I have) there are also places to mount down low on the
triangle (within reach on a recumbent) using clamps, but I didn't bother since my water bottles are
just supplements on most rides.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

> Apart from a $70 seat-back bag, has anyone found a good way to mount water bottles?

I finally bought an adapter that clamps to my front deraileur post and a standard water bottle
bracket bolts to that. Manura? Something like that. My LBS has them a few bucks cheaper than
Nashbar! So my waterbottle is between me and the front chainrings. Very handy. Looks fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.