Seat or Saddle?

RyanScribner

Mar 22, 2012
I have a saddle on my bike but i took it off because it was [LITERALLY] a pain in my ass. I put a cushioned seat on it. What are the differences and or benefits of saddles or seats?

RyanScribner said:
I have a saddle on my bike but i took it off because it was [LITERALLY] a pain in my ass. I put a cushioned seat on it. What are the differences and or benefits of saddles or seats?
How are differentiating saddles from seats? They're two different names for the same thing. There is no well defined answer for what saddle works for a given person. The only way to find the right saddle is to keep trying saddles until you find the one that coddles your peaches just right. The type of bike you ride, the type of riding you do, your position on the bike, your sit bone positions, and your weight are the biggest physical factors in determining what works for you. Those factors however or interpreted through your highly subjective interpretation of sensory feedback (virtually all human senses are influenced by subjective factors). You should also keep in mind that what looks comfortable may not be comfortable at all. For example, a lot of road cyclists find that big cushy saddles are exceedingly uncomfortable, while saddles with relatively thin, firm foam are comfy. The point is that you cannot really say how a saddle is going to work for you unless you try that saddle or you have already determined what works for you. I wouldn't put very much stock at all in recommendations for specific saddles from other riders.

Originally Posted by alienator .

How are differentiating saddles from seats? [COLOR= #ff0000]They're two different names for the same thing. [/COLOR]
FWIW. [COLOR= #ff0000]That's not exactly true[/COLOR] ...

• While a saddle can be considered to be a seat, a seat does not have to be a saddle.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I never have to saddle by bike.
Hi jhuskey, exactly ... a bike is not a horse and a bike has seat stays, a seat tube, and a seat post.

To avoid confusion the question is ... why call a seat a saddle when it is obviously a seat :)

Really it is a bit like the Bottom Bracket (BB), when it has a crank axle, crank arms, and chain rings (which should probably be called crank rings or crank sprockets) ... perhaps the BB should be called Crank Bracket, to avoid confusion :)

The leather of a good saddle is slung over the supporting structure so that it forms to the anatomy of the rider over time ..... no , wait there's no leather in seats anymore. :)

And why are they called bicycles? Cycles are linked reoccurring events. Should be called bi-wheels or some other descriptive name that truly resembles what we pedal. Which reminds me, why is it called a pedal?? ...

So...are my old Unica-Nitor buffalo hide considered seats or saddles?

Genuine cowhide is still available on several saddle...er...seat covers and there's at least one kangaroo hide saddle cover offered...for those who ride like Hop-a-long Cassidy?

Unica-Nitor? Reminds me that I still have an old nylon track shell laying around here in a box somewhere...

Saddle or seat...both the same as far a a bicycle is concerned. As suggested, trial around and find a model that is comfortable to you. Positioning the saddle to suit you is also critical to comfort. Once you find a model that fits, buy several before the manufacturer discontinues it!

Saddle up! Let's ride!

BTW, my wife has horses and she will put a saddle of the horse, but sit in the seat. Go figure.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Fun. I love pointless hair-splitting.

Unlax, doc! Have a seat...

Nice one, a seat made from saddles.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Fun. I love pointless hair-splitting.

Unlax, doc! Have a seat...

Hmm, I wonder if that seat could be done with saddles, rather than seats? :)

Nonetheless, it would still be a chair or a seat, but certainly not a saddle :)

[SIZE= 14px]The hair splitting about the terminology of a saddle or seat makes little difference. Unless.... your butt hurts. Then it might be helpful to understand [learn] as much as you can about the why and how of [bicycle] saddles (meaning a device that is not intended to support your entire seated weight).[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]AlanG had posted the link to a Page by [the great] Sheldon Brown that I quote below:[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]A "seat" is something you sit on, and is designed to bear essentially your entire weight. Recumbent bicycles have "seats," but conventional upright bicycles have saddles. A saddle is intended to carry some, but not all of your weight. The rest of your weight is mainly carried by your legs, and some by your hands and arms. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

[SIZE= 14px]The hair splitting about the terminology of a saddle or seat makes little difference. Unless.... your butt hurts. Then it might be helpful to understand [learn] as much as you can about the why and how of [bicycle] saddles (meaning a device that is not intended to support your entire seated weight).[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px]AlanG had posted the link to a Page by [the great] Sheldon Brown that I quote below:[/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14px][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]A "seat" is something you sit on, and is designed to bear essentially your entire weight. Recumbent bicycles have "seats," but conventional upright bicycles have saddles. A saddle is intended to carry some, but not all of your weight. The rest of your weight is mainly carried by your legs, and some by your hands and arms. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Hi Dave Cutter, interesting ... so motor bikes (motor cycles) have saddles not seats. They certainly have saddle bags not seat bags, as do bikes, but they tend to be called panniers nowadays :)

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

We're would we be without Sheldon Brown, he should be entered into the cycling hall of fame (if one exists).

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi Dave Cutter, interesting ... so motor bikes (motor cycles) have saddles not seats. They certainly have saddle bags not seat bags, as do bikes, but they tend to be called panniers nowadays :)
Beats me! I've never owned a motorcycle. But every industry has it's own technical terms. Those same terms/words often have different meanings outside the industries use.

I think... for many purposes some bicycles used only for casual riding ether do have [or could easily use] a seat rather than a saddle. The sit-up-and-beg postioned bicycles that are currently very popular appear to have what I might call a seat. I myself... have nothing against bicycles having seats. Except that upright position puts too much weight and jolts on my old back. Even my very cushy lawn mower seat causes me pain.