seat post between 79 and 80mm circumference?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ggia, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Ggia

    Ggia Guest

    My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm (diameter
    25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I would appreciated
    any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one, 335 to 345mm.

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    One inch = 25.4 mm. Would that work?

    "ggia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm
    > (diameter 25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I
    > would appreciated any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one,
    > 335 to 345mm.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "ggia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm
    > (diameter 25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I
    > would appreciated any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one,
    > 335 to 345mm.

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

    One example at Lickton's at URL: http://www.lickbike.com/i0859100.htm 0859-52 350mm 25.2mm
    Black $14.95

    I am sure they are available elsewhere and by other manufacturers. The normal specification is the
    diameter and is often marked on the lower portion of the seatpost.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL (a satisfied Lickton's customer, but no other relationship
    with them)

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    It's possible but mine and most I've seen use 25.4.

    Take a peek at the slot behind the seat tube . Is it parallel all the way? When a smaller post has
    been installed or a seatbolt overtorqued until the post deforms, the top of the slot will be closer
    than the bottom as the seat tube crushed.

    Remove the binder bolt completely and any collar it may have. Insert your post in about an inch and
    push straight back. Now the seat tube top is opened up. Try a 25.4 .. The right size should slip all
    the way down with minimal effort. (don't force it) It shouldn't wiggle when it's all the way
    in. 25.4 are very available at any LBS in many quality steps.

    If it is indeed a 25.2, which is uncommon, you could have a 25.4 turned at a machine shop. There is
    plenty of material for this cut.

    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "ggia" <[email protected]>