Seat Post by Performance Cycle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by pinnah, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. pinnah

    pinnah Guest

    Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261

    A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    true" concerns for me.

    Does the head or post explode without warning?

    Is the advertised weight a total lie?

    Is the clamp & head assembly impossible to use and adjust?

    Experiences pro and con?

    TIA

    -- Dave
    "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    without the proper equipment."
    Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  2. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    > brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261
    >
    > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?
    >
    > Is the advertised weight a total lie?

    It looks identical to the BBB Speedpost: http://www.bbbparts.com/products/bike_parts/seat_posts/bsp01.htm
    I looked at one. BBB usualy has good parts but i desided against it because the parts that clamp the seat rails are very narrow.
    With my weight (85 kg) i didn't expect the rails to last long very long with that design.

    "pinnah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    > brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261
    >
    > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?
    >
    > Is the advertised weight a total lie?
    >
    > Is the clamp & head assembly impossible to use and adjust?
    >
    > Experiences pro and con?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > -- Dave
    > "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    > without the proper equipment."
    > Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  4. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    > brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261
    >
    > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?
    >
    > Is the advertised weight a total lie?

    It looks identical to the BBB Speedpost: http://www.bbbparts.com/products/bike_parts/seat_posts/bsp01.htm
    I looked at one. BBB usualy has good parts but i desided against it because the parts that clamp the seat rails are very narrow.
    With my weight (85 kg) i didn't expect the rails to last long very long with that design.

    "pinnah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    > brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261
    >
    > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?
    >
    > Is the advertised weight a total lie?
    >
    > Is the clamp & head assembly impossible to use and adjust?
    >
    > Experiences pro and con?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > -- Dave
    > "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    > without the proper equipment."
    > Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  5. > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?

    Looks like a "rail biter" to me. The area that it clamps the saddle rails
    is very small (putting a lot of load across a very small section of the
    rail) and it's not very wide either, which creates more leverage. I suspect
    there's a good reason they're retiring the design; my guess is that it cost
    them a lot of saddle warranties.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "pinnah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anybody have any good or bad experience to report about the house
    > brand road seat post by performance cycle? See:
    > http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12687&subcategory_ID=5261
    >
    > A quick bit of searching on the net suggests it may be the best value
    > in terms of weight & price. It weighs in at 190g in the 250mm length
    > for only $20. Pretty much every post that I've been able to find that
    > weighs less costs at least $100 more, which raises "to good to be
    > true" concerns for me.
    >
    > Does the head or post explode without warning?
    >
    > Is the advertised weight a total lie?
    >
    > Is the clamp & head assembly impossible to use and adjust?
    >
    > Experiences pro and con?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > -- Dave
    > "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    > without the proper equipment."
    > Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  6. pinnah

    pinnah Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Looks like a "rail biter" to me. The area that it clamps the saddle rails

    Mike and everybody else who responded, huge thanks for the help and
    input. Ronald, cool catch on the BBB connection.

    [dave ambles back to the search for good low cost seat post]

    -- Dave
    "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    without the proper equipment."
    Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  7. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Mike and everybody else who responded, huge thanks for the help and
    > input. Ronald, cool catch on the BBB connection.
    >
    > [dave ambles back to the search for good low cost seat post]

    The Ritchey Comp looks like a good choice:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16723&subcategory_ID=5261#

    "pinnah" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Looks like a "rail biter" to me. The area that it clamps the saddle rails

    > Mike and everybody else who responded, huge thanks for the help and
    > input. Ronald, cool catch on the BBB connection.
    >
    > [dave ambles back to the search for good low cost seat post]
    >

    > -- Dave
    > "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    > without the proper equipment."
    > Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  8. pinnah

    pinnah Guest

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The Ritchey Comp looks like a good choice:
    >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16723&subcategory_ID=5261#

    Yes, as does the American Classic 2 Piece Alloy and the Thomspson
    Elite, although the Thomspson is getting pricey for my budget.

    Given that 1 ounce is approximately 30 grams, it gets pretty pricey
    beyond the $25 for the Ritchey Comp to begin to drop ounces.

    And things get waaay expensive when you go lighter than the
    Thompson Elite.

    Here are the (incomplete) results of my search. I've omitted
    a bunch of posts that were heavier than than the Ritchey Comp,
    some of which are pricey.

    Manufacturer Model Material Length Weight Price
    USE Alien Carbon 270 128 180
    Alpha Q Pro Carbon 250 135 150
    USE Ti Road Ti 270 149 130
    Easton EC90 Carbon 250 155 170
    Thompson Masterpiece Alloy 240 158 140
    American ClassicTi Road Ti 235 178 115
    USE Aero Carbon 250 178 150
    Easton EC70 Carbon 300 185 110
    Campagnolo Record Carbon 250 185 130
    Thompson Elite Alloy 250 188 60
    Performance Forte Alloy 250 190 20
    American Classic2 Piece Alloy 235 190 40
    Shimano DuraAce Alloy 270 194 115
    Ritchey Comp Alloy 250 212 25
    American Classic2 Piece Alloy 245 213 37

    -- Dave
    "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
    without the proper equipment."
    Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

  9. dianne_1234

    dianne_1234 Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:45:53 GMT, pinnah
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here are the (incomplete) results of my search. I've omitted
    >a bunch of posts that were heavier than than the Ritchey Comp,
    >some of which are pricey.
    >
    >Manufacturer Model Material Length Weight Price
    >USE Alien Carbon 270 128 180
    >Alpha Q Pro Carbon 250 135 150
    >USE Ti Road Ti 270 149 130
    >Easton EC90 Carbon 250 155 170
    >Thompson Masterpiece Alloy 240 158 140
    >American ClassicTi Road Ti 235 178 115
    >USE Aero Carbon 250 178 150
    >Easton EC70 Carbon 300 185 110
    >Campagnolo Record Carbon 250 185 130
    >Thompson Elite Alloy 250 188 60
    >Performance Forte Alloy 250 190 20
    >American Classic2 Piece Alloy 235 190 40
    >Shimano DuraAce Alloy 270 194 115
    >Ritchey Comp Alloy 250 212 25
    >American Classic2 Piece Alloy 245 213 37

    Here's one way to compare: How much does it cost to save weight by
    buying a more expensive post? In other words, what dollar per gram
    saved?

    1. Performance is cheap and light, so doesn't cost much for each gram
    saved. You already have some opinions on this post.

    2. American Classic has the next lowest dollar per gram saved. No
    surprise. Many people like American Classic. Consider.

    3. Surprise! The Alpha Q Pro has third lowest cost per gram saved.
    Although it's the most expensive post on your list, it's so much
    lighter that when you look at the dollars per gram saved, the cost may
    seem quite low.

    So looking at the contenders this way might point up unexpected
    possibilities.

    Manufacturer Model Weight grams saved Dollars
    dollars/gram saved
    Performance Forte 190 23 20 0.87
    American Classic2 Piece 190 23 40 1.74
    Alpha Q Pro 135 78 150 1.92
    USE Ti Road 149 64 130 2.03
    USE Alien 128 85 180 2.12
    Thompson Elite 188 25 60 2.40
    Thompson Masterpiece 158 55 140 2.55
    Easton EC90 155 58 170 2.93
    American Classic Ti Road 178 35 115 3.29
    Easton EC70 185 28 110 3.93
    USE Aero 178 35 150 4.29
    Campagnolo Record 185 28 130 4.64
    Shimano Dura-Ace 194 19 115 6.05
    Ritchey Comp 212 1 25 25.00
    American Classic2 Piece 213 0 37 #DIV/0!