seat post clamps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Charles Berista, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Is it imperative that the gap in the seat post clamp match up directly with the slot cut in the seat
    stay, or can it be rotated 180 degrees?

    I'm using quick releases, and on one bike the slot in the seat tube in in front and the other is in
    back, so the handles on the quick releases face in opposite directions.. one toward the back ( which
    I like) and one toward the front.

    thanks

    charlie

    Member Help Community Leader

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I've done it both ways, but usually the clamp will mar the paint if you don't match the slots up.
    I'd recommend you forsake appearance and match the slots.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Charles Beristain wrote:
    > Is it imperative that the gap in the seat post clamp match up directly with the slot cut in the
    > seat stay, or can it be rotated 180 degrees?

    It is not likely to clamp as well if the gaps don't align.

    > I'm using quick releases, and on one bike the slot in the seat tube in in front and the other is
    > in back, so the handles on the quick releases face in opposite directions.. one toward the back (
    > which I like) and one toward the front.

    Why not just swing the handle around so it faces to the rear?

    If this really bothers you that much, you could saw a kerf in the opposite side of the seat tube.

    | If you find yourself standing to accelerate, |
    | on level ground, it is a sign that your gear |
    | is too high, or that your saddle is too low. |
    | See: http://sheldonbrown.com/standing.html |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  4. Guess I knew the answer, but was hoping that someone would come along and say it would be OK ... I
    tried it today and it didn't interfer with my riding.. I thought maybe it could catch on my tights
    ... but that really is not the case... so i will leave it just where it is. I do need the quick
    release as I like to drop the seat when riding on the frozen stream beds.