Seat/post/collar squeak?

c00ker

Jul 15, 2004
I've develpoed a maddening "creak" somewhere around my seat/post/collar or seat tube. I've got a 99 Airborne Zeppelin with a FSA C/F post, a Selle Italia Pro-Link saddle and some no-name collar.

The squeak only happens when I'm in the saddle pedalling. Coasting I can barely hear it over the cassette buzz, but out of the saddle I can't hear it. I've re-lubed and re-tightned everything, I've even replaced everything with components form my wife's bike, and it still is there.

It seems to lessen when I lean far back on the saddle and increase when I lean forward. I've inspected the seat tube all the way down to the BB and the stays all the way back and can see no cracks.

any ideas?

thanks...

nick

Sounds like it could be the saddle rails to me--I've had that happen before. Make sure to add some lube there as well, a little chain oil will usually do the trick.

martin_j001 said:
I thought you weren't supposed to grease a cf post at all? I could be wrong here though....

Ooops, missed the CF reference in his post. One other thing to check is if you are using a shim.

I has the same recently with a USE carbon alien and new saddle, it was the saddle rails after some investigation. A bit of lube where the rail meets the seat and the problem went away.

Dave N

OK,

I tried all of that and no luck. 150 miles of creaking this weekend almost drove me nuts.

I'm wondering if there may be a small crack in the frame I can't see.

Since I don't hear it when I'm out of the saddle, I assume that rules out the bottom bracket and the rest of the drive train.

Seat post fits very snug and I wiped all the ti grease off it. Collar is greased with ti grease and the seat rails with teflon lube.

On very smooth roads, it almost goes away completely. It's worst when I'm pedalling in the saddle, but I can still here it through the cassette buzz while I'm coasting.

Anyone else ever run into anyrthing like this? My local bike mechanic is as perplexed as I am. He can hear it but can't figure out what it is....

nick