Seat post height.....

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
had some work done on my bike yesterday, so I thought it was already for my weekend adventure in Port Macquarie.

Decided to keep my body ticking over and head out with the 5.45 North Rd group.

Turning at Mordy to head back, I had a strange sensation that I was becoming very uncomfortable and that my quads were starting to complain, could not work out what was going on, until........ my brain kicked back in and I realized when they put my new seat post in they had not done the collar up properly...!!!!! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo still 20 kilometres to go!

so I decided to grin and bear it all the way back, although I almost spat it at 1 point, swearing, cursing.

2 lessons learned this morning;
No matter how much you trust the LBS, always give those screws another couple of turns yourself!

And how bloody important is Seat Post height!!!

MikeyOz wrote:
> had some work done on my bike yesterday, so I thought it was already for
> my weekend adventure in Port Macquarie.
>
> Decided to keep my body ticking over and head out with the 5.45 North
> Rd group.
>
> Turning at Mordy to head back, I had a strange sensation that I was
> becoming very uncomfortable and that my quads were starting to
> complain, could not work out what was going on, until........ my brain
> kicked back in and I realized when they put my new seat post in they
> had not done the collar up properly...!!!!!
> nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo still 20
> kilometres to go!
>
> so I decided to grin and bear it all the way back, although I almost
> spat it at 1 point, swearing, cursing.
>
> 2 lessons learned this morning;
> No matter how much you trust the LBS, always give those screws another
> couple of turns yourself!
>
> And how bloody important is Seat Post height!!!

why did you grin and bear it with 20kms to go? Why not just tighten the
pin? Don't tell me you went out with no tools??? :)

I agree about LBSs. No matter how good they are, they all make mistakes
from time to time. A good reason to learn to maintain the bike yourself
- it's really not difficult with some practice and the right tools.

--
Nick

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> had some work done on my bike yesterday, so I thought it was already for
> my weekend adventure in Port Macquarie.
>
> Decided to keep my body ticking over and head out with the 5.45 North
> Rd group.
>
> Turning at Mordy to head back, I had a strange sensation that I was
> becoming very uncomfortable and that my quads were starting to
> complain, could not work out what was going on, until........ my brain
> kicked back in and I realized when they put my new seat post in they
> had not done the collar up properly...!!!!!
> nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo still 20
> kilometres to go!
>
> so I decided to grin and bear it all the way back, although I almost
> spat it at 1 point, swearing, cursing.
>
> 2 lessons learned this morning;
> No matter how much you trust the LBS, always give those screws another
> couple of turns yourself!
>
> And how bloody important is Seat Post height!!!

....nearly as important as carrying some basic tools? ;^)

Tony F

NoZX6R said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> had some work done on my bike yesterday, so I thought it was already for
> my weekend adventure in Port Macquarie.
>
> Decided to keep my body ticking over and head out with the 5.45 North
> Rd group.
>
> Turning at Mordy to head back, I had a strange sensation that I was
> becoming very uncomfortable and that my quads were starting to
> complain, could not work out what was going on, until........ my brain
> kicked back in and I realized when they put my new seat post in they
> had not done the collar up properly...!!!!!
> nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo still 20
> kilometres to go!
>
> so I decided to grin and bear it all the way back, although I almost
> spat it at 1 point, swearing, cursing.
>
> 2 lessons learned this morning;
> No matter how much you trust the LBS, always give those screws another
> couple of turns yourself!
>
> And how bloody important is Seat Post height!!!

why did you grin and bear it with 20kms to go? Why not just tighten the
pin? Don't tell me you went out with no tools??? :)

I agree about LBSs. No matter how good they are, they all make mistakes
from time to time. A good reason to learn to maintain the bike yourself
- it's really not difficult with some practice and the right tools.

--
Nick
thats what my wife said when I clambered up the stairs!!

I do carry a tool...... but.... as a Beach Rd w**ker I wanted the ride all the way back with the group and they wasn't going to be a waiting for me.... :)

MikeyOz wrote:
> NoZX6R Wrote:

> I do carry a tool...... but.... as a Beach Rd w**ker I wanted the ride
> all the way back with the group and they wasn't going to be a waiting
> for me.... :)

The 6am bunch wouldn't have been far behind though!

Bleve said:
MikeyOz wrote:
> NoZX6R Wrote:

> I do carry a tool...... but.... as a Beach Rd w**ker I wanted the ride
> all the way back with the group and they wasn't going to be a waiting
> for me.... :)

The 6am bunch wouldn't have been far behind though!

> --
> MikeyOz
Doh..! there is the old male/brain combination kicking in again..... didn't think of that one did I....

"tony f" wrote in message

> ...nearly as important as carrying some basic tools? ;^)
>
> Tony F

Except if you go riding with Tony F, who caries more tools and small parts than the average LBS ; )

Parbs

Parbs wrote:

> Except if you go riding with Tony F, who caries more tools and small parts than the average LBS ; )

Insufficient gaff, zip ties and jockey wheels, IIRC...

Dave - who has needed bits in the back of beyond far too many times