Seat post question

Tim Hall

Guest
My son has a Trek Navigator 200, which is now about 3 years old. He's
13 and keeps growing. The frame could be described as compact - it
has a sloping top tube with a fair amount of seat post showing. We're
getting close to the stage where he needs a bigger bike, but it would
make life much easier if this could be delayed until Christmas.

The seat post has a smidgen more to go until it reaches the "minimum
insertion" mark. Can I squeeze a month or two extra useage by buying
a longer seat post? The upper few inches of the seat tube match the
seat post, after that the tube flares out to a larger diameter.

Tim

In article <[email protected]>
Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> My son has a Trek Navigator 200, which is now about 3 years old. He's
> 13 and keeps growing. The frame could be described as compact - it
> has a sloping top tube with a fair amount of seat post showing. We're
> getting close to the stage where he needs a bigger bike, but it would
> make life much easier if this could be delayed until Christmas.
>
> The seat post has a smidgen more to go until it reaches the "minimum
> insertion" mark. Can I squeeze a month or two extra useage by buying
> a longer seat post?

We'd be guessing, because you haven't told us the diameter or length of
the current seatpost.

in message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
('[email protected]') wrote:

> My son has a Trek Navigator 200, which is now about 3 years old. He's
> 13 and keeps growing. The frame could be described as compact - it
> has a sloping top tube with a fair amount of seat post showing. We're
> getting close to the stage where he needs a bigger bike, but it would
> make life much easier if this could be delayed until Christmas.
>
> The seat post has a smidgen more to go until it reaches the "minimum
> insertion" mark. Can I squeeze a month or two extra useage by buying
> a longer seat post?

Yes. Obviously, one of the same diameter; the diameter should be stamped
on the post, usually close to the minimum insertion mark.

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous

Tim Hall wrote:
> My son has a Trek Navigator 200, which is now about 3 years old. He's
> 13 and keeps growing. The frame could be described as compact - it
> has a sloping top tube with a fair amount of seat post showing. We're
> getting close to the stage where he needs a bigger bike, but it would
> make life much easier if this could be delayed until Christmas.
>
> The seat post has a smidgen more to go until it reaches the "minimum
> insertion" mark. Can I squeeze a month or two extra useage by buying
> a longer seat post? The upper few inches of the seat tube match the
> seat post, after that the tube flares out to a larger diameter.
>

> Tim

Seatpost is one thing, have you also considered his handlebar position?
You may need to adjust height and reach of his handle bars as well.

Laters,

Marz

On 21 Aug 2006 07:15:23 -0700, "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
>> My son has a Trek Navigator 200, which is now about 3 years old. He's
>> 13 and keeps growing. The frame could be described as compact - it
>> has a sloping top tube with a fair amount of seat post showing. We're
>> getting close to the stage where he needs a bigger bike, but it would
>> make life much easier if this could be delayed until Christmas.
>>
>> The seat post has a smidgen more to go until it reaches the "minimum
>> insertion" mark. Can I squeeze a month or two extra useage by buying
>> a longer seat post? The upper few inches of the seat tube match the
>> seat post, after that the tube flares out to a larger diameter.
>>

>> Tim

>Seatpost is one thing, have you also considered his handlebar position?
>You may need to adjust height and reach of his handle bars as well.

Good point. From memory the bars are some kind of multi way
adjustable thing, a bit like a Girvin (?) flexi stem. I'll have a
look tonight.

Tim