Seat post question

flafoci

Oct 26, 2003
Ok I'm new to this.

I just bought a new 2004 Trek Navigator 100 for myself, well the wife rode it and now wants a suspension seat post for her GT Outpost Trail, I found one that fits, but the problem is that it will not go down far enough, it stops where the seat post bolt is.

What I'm wanting to know is it possibe to cut about an inch off just below where the welds are for the seat post bolt holes and put a quick release seat post clamp on. I've done some measuremants and it looks close to a 28.6mm diameter.

http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/medium/NA-QRSC.gif

Originally posted by flafoci
Ok I'm new to this.

I just bought a new 2004 Trek Navigator 100 for myself, well the wife rode it and now wants a suspension seat post for her GT Outpost Trail, I found one that fits, but the problem is that it will not go down far enough, it stops where the seat post bolt is.

What I'm wanting to know is it possibe to cut about an inch off just below where the welds are for the seat post bolt holes and put a quick release seat post clamp on. I've done some measuremants and it looks close to a 28.6mm diameter.

http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/medium/NA-QRSC.gif

I'm not sure I understand your question - but sure - you can cut a seatpost.

I'm not sure I understand your question - but sure - you can cut a seatpost

Nope cause its a suspension seat post.

Cutting the post or cutting the frame?!!

The frame needs to be cut, about 1" shorter , right where the original post bolt is, I need to lower the seat so the wifes legs are not completly strait on the down stroke, and she still wants to keep the suspension seat post

bike.jpg

From the red line up is the seat post, from the blue line to the red line is the portion I need to cut, I have measured the diameter and it right at 28.6 mm

I'm all for DIY but there is no way I would ever cut a frame myself

you might want to get a local framebuilder to look at it

its really a safety issue

I would strongly recomend not cutting the frame unless you want to risk ending up with scrap metal. Even if you cut it you might not be able to reproduce the clamp area correctly and the tube wont be able to bend and tighten on the seatpost. The risk its not worth using a suspension post.

Originally posted by flafoci

bike.jpg

From the red line up is the seat post, from the blue line to the red line is the portion I need to cut, I have measured the diameter and it right at 28.6 mm

don't cut the frame. Get her a softer seat and chuck the seatpost.

I don't really like those seatpost anyway. You will definatly void any warranty if you cut that frame, and you will MOST definatly give the guys at your bike shop something to talk about for awhile. get a comfy seat and forget about that post.