seat post question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Steve Gibson, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Steve Gibson

    Steve Gibson Guest

    Hello,

    I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I am a heavy
    rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat and seat post kept up at the right height. Is there
    any thing that I can do to help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by riding. I
    didn't know if there was an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help would be
    appreciated, thank you very much and thank you in advance,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Steve Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can
    help
    > me with. I am a heavy rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat
    and
    > seat post kept up at the right height. Is there any thing that I can do
    > help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by riding. I didn't know if there was
    > an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help would be appreciated, thank you
    > very much and thank you in advance,
    >
    > Steve

    No matter what your weight, the seatpost should not slip.

    Possibly

    1) The seatpost is too small for the bike. In which case get the correct size.

    2) The seat QR/bolt (you don't specify which) is crap. In which case get a new one that isn't.

    3) The frame is damaged and cannot grip the post. Solutions to this may vary from squeezing the top
    of the seat tube in slightly, through reaming out the seat tube to scrapping the frame and a few
    others besides.

    Google groups searches of alt.mountain-bike and rec.bicycles.tech should give you some insight. If
    the problem is the area of 3 above, think carefully before you do anything rash.

    Andy Chequer

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    Steve Gibson wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I am a heavy
    > rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat and seat post kept up at the right height. Is
    > there any thing that I can do to help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by
    > riding. I didn't know if there was an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help
    > would be appreciated, thank you very much and thank you in advance,

    First off, insure it is the correct size post for the seat-tube. (take bike to LBS and have htem
    check the I.D. of the tube w/a gauge.

    Second mic the post and make sure it has not been crushed my excessive clamping forces.

    If 1 or 2 prove to be the issue replace seatpost.

    If everything checks out and it is STILL slipping: try:
    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3288.0.html and in extremem cases:
    http://bikemag.com/gear/slipping_seatpost/

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Steve Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can
    help
    > me with. I am a heavy rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat
    and
    > seat post kept up at the right height. Is there any thing that I can do
    > help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by riding. I didn't know if there was
    > an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help would be appreciated, thank you
    > very much and thank you in advance,
    >
    > Steve

    If there's a quick release, get rid of it and buy a regular clamp. Ensure that the outer diameter of
    the seat post is correct for the seat tube (you may want a bike shop to do this -- actually, both of
    these). You can buy a seat post shim, too, but a bike shop will have all the options.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "Steve Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I am a heavy
    > rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat and seat post kept up at the right height. Is
    > there any thing that I can do to help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by
    > riding. I didn't know if there was an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help
    > would be appreciated, thank you very much and thank you in advance,
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Steve Take it to your LBS, where you bought it from, and get them to sort it out, your seat post
    is probably the wrong diameter, if it is correctly sized it won't slip. cheers Martin

  6. martin wrote:
    > "Steve Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I am a heavy
    >>rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat and seat post kept up at the right height. Is
    >>there any thing that I can do to help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by
    >>riding. I didn't know if there was an insert you could put in, or a clamp you could buy, any help
    >>would be appreciated, thank you very much and thank you in advance,
    >>
    >>Steve
    >

    > Hi Steve Take it to your LBS, where you bought it from, and get them to sort it out, your seat
    > post is probably the wrong diameter, if it is correctly sized it won't slip.

    Listen to the man.. I'm 250+ fully loaded w/ my 'Bak... the only time I;ve had problems is whne the
    seat post and seat tubes were of dis-similar sizes (see RedLine MonoCog woes ;-)

  7. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    > martin wrote:
    > > "Steve Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>Hello,
    > >>
    > >>I am new to mountain biking and I have a question hopefully someone can
    help
    > >>me with. I am a heavy rider, and I am having problems keeping the seat
    and
    > >>seat post kept up at the right height. Is there any thing that I can do
    > >>help me out (beside losing weight) I am already doing that by riding. I didn't know if there was
    > >>an insert you could put in, or a clamp you
    could
    > >>buy, any help would be appreciated, thank you very much and thank you in advance,
    > >>
    > >>Steve
    > >

    > > Hi Steve Take it to your LBS, where you bought it from, and get them to sort it out, your seat
    > > post is probably the wrong diameter, if it is correctly sized it won't slip.
    >
    > Listen to the man.. I'm 250+ fully loaded w/ my 'Bak... the only time I;ve had problems is whne
    > the seat post and seat tubes were of dis-similar sizes (see RedLine MonoCog woes ;-)

    Hmm.... I go about 250 and I've had plenty of problems with a few different seatposts slipping on a
    couple different frames. Every single one of them was the right "nominal" size for the seat tube. By
    far the worst of them all was a Thomson. I used a hose clamp/rubber pad to hold it in place. I asked
    Thomson about it and they told me that they design their post to fit the small end of seat tube ID
    and then apply a +0/-a few thousandths tolerance. Turns out mine was right at the small extreme of
    things and that was enough to cause it to slip. Thomson did swap me for another one that was at the
    large end of tolerance and that one held in place well.