Seat Post shims

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Cubby, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Cubby

Cubby New Member

What are your opinions on using seat post shims. I have a Trek 4900 Alpha with a 29.2 seat post. I am having trouble finding one in 400 mm. I have called every bike shop in town (Winnipeg, Canada) looking for a 29.2 and I cannot get one - nobody stocks them not even the Trek dealers. For some reasons, their distributer does not even have the Kalloy 29.2 in 400mm which I know they make.

My LBS can sell me a shim to take a 28.6 seat post for $5. I can get a variety of seat posts in that size. What do you think?

Tags:

2. daveornee

daveornee New Member

If it were me, I would go Mail Order to find exactly what I want.
    Shims work OK, but the can be a bit of a hassle. You want to make sure they provide proper grip but not sieze up on frame or post.
    You can also contact TrekBike and ask them for a source.
    I crashed once due to slippage of a shim. I took extreme caution to make sure that all surfaces were protected by coating them with anti-sieze compound and properly torquing the clamp bolt. I later tested the conbination to find that it turned 40% easier than a seatpost of the correct size.... at the same torque setting.

3. eXtremebiker

eXtremebiker New Member

check out www.pricepoint.com/ they have a wide variety of just about every thing for cheap

4. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Guess what ? same problem with the same bike.I bought the Thomson seatpost that actually is a 27.2 (they don't cater to Trek one bit :eek: ) and i shimed with a shim that brought it to 29.2 (indeed a very odd size,i heard that more than once,or the guy over the phone will be like ...are you sure it's 29.2 ? daaaa... :rolleyes: maybe you should bring the post in ...like no one can read :mad: ),i greased it so it won't seize and you know it works like a charm.Get a good shim,one with a lip and made of aluminum not some sheetmetal crap.
    Dan