seat post shock suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph P. Jozwi

This is a road bike question. I know it's in the wrong group. But im sure someone has a suggestion.

My Cannondale R600 is really stiff. I'm going on a long ride from the upper penisula in Michigan to
I think Ohio. In or to save my testicals I was thinking about getting a seat post shock. Any
suggestions on a good one?

Joe

RE/
>a seat post shock. Any suggestions on a good one?

So far, I like my ThudBuster. It's not light and you need at least 5" of extension for it to
work; but it's claim to fame is that there's zero stiction= and the resistance can be tailored to
your weight.

Haven't had it long enough to comment on durability - but I'm about 210#, so in a year I should have
a pretty good idea.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Joseph P. Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a road bike question. I know it's in the wrong group. But im sure someone has a
> suggestion.
>
> My Cannondale R600 is really stiff. I'm going on a long ride from the upper penisula in Michigan
> to I think Ohio. In or to save my testicals I was thinking about getting a seat post shock. Any
> suggestions on a good one?
>
> Joe

I suggest you save your money and let the bike beat your testies to a bloody pulp; You're not using
them anyway.

--
Slacker

Originally posted by Joseph P. Jozwi
This is a road bike question. I know it's in the wrong group. But im sure someone has a suggestion.

My Cannondale R600 is really stiff. I'm going on a long ride from the upper penisula in Michigan to
I think Ohio. In or to save my testicals I was thinking about getting a seat post shock. Any
suggestions on a good one?

Joe

If your nuts are sore try a better saddle - maybe something with a cutout or gel inserts.

HTH

Try looking for a Rockshock post on sale for around 50 .Stay away from the thud buster there has
been recalls on those seat post.White Bro makes a air one but is a little $$ two friends ride the
rockshock and like it. Me I went to a Ti and Ti railed saddle on my MT Bike and love it.My road bike
has just a ti railed saddle and its nice to . Good luck

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Jamie wrote:
> Try looking for a Rockshock post on sale for around 50 .Stay away from the thud buster there has
> been recalls on those seat post.White Bro makes a air one but is a little $$ two friends ride the
> rockshock and like it. Me I went to a Ti and Ti railed saddle on my MT Bike and love it.My road
> bike has just a ti railed saddle and its nice to . Good luck
>
Be careful with ti seat rails, my experience has been that they to be much less durable than their
steel counterpart.

Joseph P. Jozwik wrote:
> This is a road bike question. I know it's in the wrong group. But im sure someone has a
> suggestion.
>
> My Cannondale R600 is really stiff. I'm going on a long ride from the upper penisula in Michigan
> to I think Ohio. In or to save my testicals I was thinking about getting a seat post shock. Any
>
> Joe
>

For the road, you probably want something with a lot less travel than we're used to here. Have you
considered a sprung seat? Works well for my wife (I just ride my Jekyll on the road :)).

David

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jamie wrote:
> > Try looking for a Rockshock post on sale for around 50 .Stay away from
the
> > thud buster there has been recalls on those seat post.White Bro makes a
air
> > one but is a little $$ two friends ride the rockshock and like it. Me I
went
> > to a Ti and Ti railed saddle on my MT Bike and love it.My road bike has
just
> > a ti railed saddle and its nice to . Good luck
> >
> Be careful with ti seat rails, my experience has been that they to be much less durable than their
> steel counterpart.

I'm riding a 1.5 year old Flite Gel ti, only replaced the old (1.5 year old also) one because it was
stolen. My road bike has a flite I'd estimate at 4 years oldl, but well cared for. Just be careful
with the grips, don't torque 'em down too hard, and make sure they don't have any burrs.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:

> "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Jamie wrote:
>>
>>>Try looking for a Rockshock post on sale for around 50 .Stay away from
>
> the
>
>>>thud buster there has been recalls on those seat post.White Bro makes a
>
> air
>
>>>one but is a little $$ two friends ride the rockshock and like it. Me I
>
> went
>
>>>to a Ti and Ti railed saddle on my MT Bike and love it.My road bike has
>
> just
>
>>>a ti railed saddle and its nice to . Good luck
>>>
>>
>>Be careful with ti seat rails, my experience has been that they to be much less durable than their
>>steel counterpart.
>
>
> I'm riding a 1.5 year old Flite Gel ti, only replaced the old (1.5 year old also) one because it
> was stolen. My road bike has a flite I'd estimate at 4 years oldl, but well cared for. Just be
> careful with the grips, don't torque 'em down too hard, and make sure they don't have any burrs.
>
> Jon Bond
>
>

I'm sure they'd be fine on a road bike but my experience is that they aren't very durable for
mtbing. I snapped one while JRA (just riding along) and "dropped" a curb with my butt on the
saddle. That one was replaced by warrenty and then I just broke that one the other day as well. The
second failure was clearly my fault but I firmly beleive that steel rails would have held up to the
same mishap.

I can't bear to throw away anything ti so now I have a seat laying around that I don't quite know
what to do with:)

"Joseph P. Jozwik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> suggestion.
>
>
> Joe

http://www.use1.com/shokpost%20xcr/shokpost%20xcr.htm

I have one of these on my hardtail. It's a pain to adjust at first because of the clamp, but once
you have it right you never mess with it again. It is light and gives about 2 inches of travel. I
use a sella italia flite gel with ti rails with it. The saddle is about 2 years old in case you were
worried about the ti thing. Hope this helps.

Brad Vaughn

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jon Bond wrote:
>
> > "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Jamie wrote:
> >>
> >>>Try looking for a Rockshock post on sale for around 50 .Stay away from
> >
> > the
> >
> >>>thud buster there has been recalls on those seat post.White Bro makes a
> >
> > air
> >
> >>>one but is a little $$ two friends ride the rockshock and like it. Me I
> >
> > went
> >
> >>>to a Ti and Ti railed saddle on my MT Bike and love it.My road bike has
> >
> > just
> >
> >>>a ti railed saddle and its nice to . Good luck
> >>>
> >>
> >>Be careful with ti seat rails, my experience has been that they to be much less durable than
> >>their steel counterpart.
> >
> >
> > I'm riding a 1.5 year old Flite Gel ti, only replaced the old (1.5 year
old
> > also) one because it was stolen. My road bike has a flite I'd estimate
at 4
> > years oldl, but well cared for. Just be careful with the grips, don't torque 'em down too hard,
> > and make sure they don't have any burrs.
> >
> > Jon Bond
> >
> >
>
> I'm sure they'd be fine on a road bike but my experience is that they aren't very durable for
> mtbing. I snapped one while JRA (just riding along) and "dropped" a curb with my butt on the
> saddle. That one was replaced by warrenty and then I just broke that one the other day as well.
> The second failure was clearly my fault but I firmly beleive that steel rails would have held up
> to the same mishap.
>
> I can't bear to throw away anything ti so now I have a seat laying around that I don't quite know
> what to do with:)

the "road bike" was actually used for CX racing for a while, albeit with diferent wheels. And the
other ones were on an aluminum hardtail. I have, however, been very careful about the clamp. I
waited until I installed my Thomson seatpost on the mountain bike to put the saddle on, because it
had a much larger clamping surface than the stock seatpost did, and the stock seatpost had a pretty
ugly casting. I also took fine grit sandpaper and very very very slightly radiused the edges; same
as I did with everything that touches the carbon bars. An ounce of prevention saves a pound of
seatpost jamming up your ass.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond wrote:

> I waited until I installed my Thomson seatpost on the mountain bike to put the saddle on, because
> it had a much larger clamping surface than the stock seatpost did, and the stock seatpost had a
> pretty ugly casting. I also took fine grit sandpaper and very very very slightly radiused the
> edges; same as I did with everything that touches the carbon bars. An ounce of prevention saves a
> pound of seatpost jamming up your ass.
>
> Jon Bond
>
>

I've been running a thompson seatpost as well, but did not think to debur the edges. That might have
prevented the first failure, a clean break near the clamp. In the second failure the rails just
collapsed. The rails had been tweaked a bit before they finally gave in, I rode a crooked seat for
about a year. I just replaced that seat, now I'm replacing my crooked bomber (been tweaked for a few
years now) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time riding a straight bike again!

> Just a Q, does anyone ride a dual suspension bike with a suspension seat post?
>
> Dave

Wouldn't that be like making love to your wife while wearing a condom?

--
OambN (Offical AMB Newsboy)

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Just a Q, does anyone ride a dual suspension bike with a suspension seat post?

> Wouldn't that be like making love to your wife while wearing a condom?

More like putting an air mattress on top of a waterbed.

Bill "but good effort" S.

Status
Not open for further replies.