seat post size?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve W, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame) frame.
    26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in. So
    my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation before I
    go ahead and buy.

    thanks
    SW

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Steve W wrote:
    > What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame)
    > frame.
    > 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go
    > in. So my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like
    > confirmation before I go ahead and buy.
    >
    > thanks
    > SW

    See if your lbs has one of those seat tube measuring thingys.

    Mike

  3. Steve W wrote:
    > What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame) frame.
    > 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in. So
    > my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation before I
    > go ahead and buy.
    >
    > thanks
    > SW

    Is the seat tube inside smooth, prepped?

    If it isn't, take a flex hone to it...make it smooth and then see. I'm
    guessing 27.2

  4. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Thanks, but what is a flex hone? Could it be a drill with a a small mandril
    and some emery cloth?

    SW in the UK

    > Steve W wrote:
    >> What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame)
    >> frame.
    >> 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in.
    >> So
    >> my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation
    >> before I
    >> go ahead and buy.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> SW

    > Is the seat tube inside smooth, prepped?
    >
    > If it isn't, take a flex hone to it...make it smooth and then see. I'm
    > guessing 27.2

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Steve W wrote:
    > What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame) frame.
    > 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in. So
    > my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation before I
    > go ahead and buy.

    Reynolds 531 tube, the most likely material, in the most
    likely gage Roy would have used, should be 27.2.

    As with any steel frame, look at the seat lug from behind
    with the bolt removed. Is the slit a neat rectangle? Or
    are the tops a bit closer together? It is all to common for
    bikes to be subjected to either a too-small post or to being
    tightened with no post in place.

    If that's the case, jam a 27.2 post in about 12-15mm and
    push it straight back until the slit has parallel sides. If
    the 27.2 post now fits nicely you're done!

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. philcycles

    philcycles Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > Steve W wrote:
    > > What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame) frame.
    > > 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in. So
    > > my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation before I
    > > go ahead and buy.

    > Reynolds 531 tube, the most likely material, in the most
    > likely gage Roy would have used, should be 27.2.
    >
    > As with any steel frame, look at the seat lug from behind
    > with the bolt removed. Is the slit a neat rectangle? Or
    > are the tops a bit closer together? It is all to common for
    > bikes to be subjected to either a too-small post or to being
    > tightened with no post in place.
    >
    > If that's the case, jam a 27.2 post in about 12-15mm and
    > push it straight back until the slit has parallel sides. If
    > the 27.2 post now fits nicely you're done!
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    I have a slight disagreeement here. It is most likely that the seat
    tube has been slightly crushed because a nominal .9/.6 531 seat
    tube-the most likely on the Holdsworth-is happiest with a 27.4 seat
    tube. Every 531 bike I've ever built has been happiest with a 27.4
    post. A 27.2 is slightly loose-but seems OK-and results in a slightly
    crushed seat tube. So I'd try to open the slot a bit and try again.
    Phil Brown

  7. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    Thanks guys, I'll give it a try and report back.

    SW in the UK

    "philcycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > A Muzi wrote:
    >> Steve W wrote:
    >> > What is the correct seat post size for an old Holdsworth (Roy Thame)
    >> > frame.
    >> > 26.8 is loose amd 27.2 seems too tight although it will start to go in.
    >> > So
    >> > my guess is that 27mm will be correct but I would like confirmation
    >> > before I
    >> > go ahead and buy.

    >> Reynolds 531 tube, the most likely material, in the most
    >> likely gage Roy would have used, should be 27.2.
    >>
    >> As with any steel frame, look at the seat lug from behind
    >> with the bolt removed. Is the slit a neat rectangle? Or
    >> are the tops a bit closer together? It is all to common for
    >> bikes to be subjected to either a too-small post or to being
    >> tightened with no post in place.
    >>
    >> If that's the case, jam a 27.2 post in about 12-15mm and
    >> push it straight back until the slit has parallel sides. If
    >> the 27.2 post now fits nicely you're done!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Andrew Muzi
    >> www.yellowjersey.org
    >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    > I have a slight disagreeement here. It is most likely that the seat
    > tube has been slightly crushed because a nominal .9/.6 531 seat
    > tube-the most likely on the Holdsworth-is happiest with a 27.4 seat
    > tube. Every 531 bike I've ever built has been happiest with a 27.4
    > post. A 27.2 is slightly loose-but seems OK-and results in a slightly
    > crushed seat tube. So I'd try to open the slot a bit and try again.
    > Phil Brown

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    philcycles wrote:
    > I have a slight disagreeement here. It is most likely that the seat
    > tube has been slightly crushed because a nominal .9/.6 531 seat
    > tube-the most likely on the Holdsworth-is happiest with a 27.4 seat
    > tube. Every 531 bike I've ever built has been happiest with a 27.4
    > post. A 27.2 is slightly loose-but seems OK-and results in a slightly
    > crushed seat tube. So I'd try to open the slot a bit and try again.
    > Phil Brown

    OK that's a reasonable thing to check.

    If, after opening the slit and clearing any detritus, a 27.2
    post has any play when inserted all the way in, then, yes,
    get a 27.4 post.

    I don't agree that's likely. But yes, it is possible. A seat
    post should slip in all the way without effort and then not
    rock inside the tube.

    --

  9. Steve W wrote:
    > Thanks, but what is a flex hone? Could it be a drill with a a small mandril
    > and some emery cloth?
    >
    > SW in the UK

    see

    http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi09.html#2492

    Drill mounted, little abrasive balls on it to smooth the seattube.

  10. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    OK, after all your recommendations it turns out to be 27.2. I suspect that
    the seat post I have is fractionally oversize but having cleaned the seat
    tube it fits OK and no play at all.
    Thanks for all the input

    SW

    news:[email protected]