Seat post slippage

dgregory57

Jul 11, 2005
I have a problem that would probably be encountered regardless of the bike I choose to ride due to my weight.

I have to stop and raise my saddle a couple of times during my rides, and it is mildly annoying. I have the quick release set about as tight as I can, and I still have the issue.

The fixes I think of are some sort of agent to increase friction, or to switch to a bolt instead of the quick release.

This shouldn't be as significant an issue once I lose weight, but I would like some advice on what I should do in the interim.

dgregory57 said:
I have a problem that would probably be encountered regardless of the bike I choose to ride due to my weight.

I have to stop and raise my saddle a couple of times during my rides, and it is mildly annoying. I have the quick release set about as tight as I can, and I still have the issue.

The fixes I think of are some sort of agent to increase friction, or to switch to a bolt instead of the quick release.

This shouldn't be as significant an issue once I lose weight, but I would like some advice on what I should do in the interim.

Weight isn't the issue. Seat post bolt ain't tight enough. Make sure your seatpost clamp isn't "bottoming out", basically it's real tight but the two ends of the clamp are flush up against each other. Take a look at it where they meet, there should be a slight gap.

I ride a Giant Iguana and had the same problem -- for the same reason! -- switched to a non-quick release bolt and all has been good since. When I searched for a solution the other suggestion was to try inserting a piece of a soda can as a shim. The other thing I noticed is that the stock seat post was a little to small for the width of the seat tube which may have been contributing to the problem.

isinoguch said:
I ride a Giant Iguana and had the same problem -- for the same reason! -- switched to a non-quick release bolt and all has been good since. When I searched for a solution the other suggestion was to try inserting a piece of a soda can as a shim. The other thing I noticed is that the stock seat post was a little to small for the width of the seat tube which may have been contributing to the problem.
I went to my LBS, and I got a nice piece of advice that seems to have worked so far. The bike was assembled with a shim, but my old LBS in CA where I bought it seems to have put the shim in wrong. I twisted the shim in order to line the gap up with the slot in the seat tube, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I had never taken the seat post all the way out before, and even if I had, I don't know if I would have noticed the problem.

BTW - My LBS http://www.atownbikes.com in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Free advice from a good LBS. I will be seeing them soon when I decide it is time to buy clipless pedals and cycling shoes. And next year when I decide to add a road bike to my available cycling options.

My test ride was to the store in order to thank Rich for his free advice!

If there is an issue that still shows up, I will go down and have him install a new seat clamp (unless he comes up with a different option).

Once again, a good bike shop proves worth its weight in gold...