Seat Post weight

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
what is the weight of a cheap seat post ? we are talking a Giant OCR1, 2001 vintage...alloy post, probably heavy...the groupset is shimano 105.
Thinking about going for a carbon fibre post that weighs about 200 grams...
$43.91 australian dollars.

well, the OCR is one of them Compact Frames, with a sloping top tube. I know the post is longer than standard because about 10-12 inches (30 cms) is above the seat tube, and I can just see the start of the "Maximum Height" marks.
So it must be a real long one

Aussie Steve said:
what is the weight of a cheap seat post ? we are talking a Giant OCR1, 2001 vintage...alloy post, probably heavy...the groupset is shimano 105.
Thinking about going for a carbon fibre post that weighs about 200 grams...
$43.91 australian dollars.
I think if your lucky you might save 60 grams. But dont forget the amount of flex your gonna get at that height. You might be better to get something a bit heavy and rigid. Personally i would'nt trust a $43 pole to hold me at that height. Remember where the pole will end up if it should break :eek: OUCH

Insaneclimber said:
I think if your lucky you might save 60 grams. But dont forget the amount of flex your gonna get at that height. You might be better to get something a bit heavy and rigid. Personally i would'nt trust a $43 pole to hold me at that height. Remember where the pole will end up if it should break :eek: OUCH
I'm with insane...
there are saner areas to spend cash on losing weight. Anything that rotates is a good start.

Abernathy said:
I'm with insane...
there are saner areas to spend cash on losing weight. Anything that rotates is a good start.

Are you at your bare minimum bodyfat percentage? No? Then don't worry about a few grams here or there when you could easily take more off by dropping a pound of weight. Agreed, wheels are the place to start if you feel the need to drop cash. I've known pros who would actuallyt cut the excess length off their seatpost to save weight, but that doesn't apply to the majority of us.

There was a Euro Pro who had his team mechanic take out his post and seat at the start of mountain climbs to save weight:confused:

Imagine climbing up a mountain without the option of being able to sit down:eek:

Not my idea of fun....

Bigbananabike said:
There was a Euro Pro who had his team mechanic take out his post and seat at the start of mountain climbs to save weight:confused:

Imagine climbing up a mountain without the option of being able to sit down:eek:

Not my idea of fun....
That's a bit full on. You'd almost have to think it was psychosomatic...
Well, whatever blows your back.

I have been found guilty of ditching my water before a criterium, save a few sips, thinking "why cart it around if I'm not gonna need it?"

Mmmm...do I really need to sit down for a 15min+3lap crit??

Insaneclimber said:
I have a 2004 OCR 1 with the same sloping top tube and was recently fitted with an Easton EC90 carbon seatpost. Is this an unwise choice?

southwind said:
I have a 2004 OCR 1 with the same sloping top tube and was recently fitted with an Easton EC90 carbon seatpost. Is this an unwise choice?
Im not saying its a definite silly choice. im just pointing out the dangers. i ride xc i have a 15.5 inch frame and a 440 mm seat pole which i have broken and bent 3 times now. i know road riders dont push there poles that hard but its still worth some consideration when rideing a compact frame. The extra rigidity i get from a 30mm thompson is remarkably different.