seat posts

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > are the suspension type seat posts any good?
> >
> > If you absolutely must have one, get the USE. It's rebuildable and more durable than any other
> > offerings. Stay away from that Cane Creek ****, the have been recalled at least once and develop
> > slop very fast under regular use.
> >
> > JD
>
> I've (part of me, anyway) put about 2,000 miles on my U.S.E. XCR and I love it. Especially good
> for the surprise hits that you can't plan for, and don't want to absorb the impact into your
> prostate.
>
> Paladin

thats what im after

news:<[email protected]>...
> Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > are the suspension type seat posts any good?
> >
> > Are you the Phil who aspired to be a marine invertebrate of have I
> confused
> > you with another Phil?
> >
> > Andy Chequer
>
> Nah - I think the cephalopod wannabe is another Phil.
>

> Shaun aRe

Yep - That's me. On a related note, I considered a suspension seatpost, but at the same time, I'm
too young for one. I wish I rode my XTC more, but riding it around campus is just a dog sometimes.
My old moldy road bike is so much more fun around campus...

Phil, Squid-in-Training (The story behind squid is that a motorcycle squid is an irresponsible
motorcycle rider... some of you know this already)

Phil wrote:

>>I've (part of me, anyway) put about 2,000 miles on my U.S.E. XCR and I love it. Especially good
>>for the surprise hits that you can't plan for, and don't want to absorb the impact into your
>>prostate.
>>
>>Paladin
>

> thats what im after

So when you asked 'are the suspension type seat posts any good?', what you really meant was, 'I want
to find somebody who has something good to say about a suspension seat post. It doesn't matter if
lots of other people tell me they're ****, as long as one person says they're ok, that will justify
my purchase'

Phil <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Andy Chequer <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Are you the Phil who aspired to be a marine invertebrate of have I
> > confused
> > > you with another Phil?
> > >
> > > Andy Chequer
> >
> > Nah - I think the cephalopod wannabe is another Phil.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Yep - That's me. On a related note, I considered a suspension seatpost, but at the same time, I'm
> too young for one.

And I'm too young for grandchildren.

> I wish I rode my XTC more, but riding it around campus is just a dog sometimes.

Why? No stairs to jump or summink?

> My old moldy road bike is so much more fun around campus...

Yeuch!

> Phil, Squid-in-Training (The story behind squid is that a motorcycle squid is an irresponsible
> motorcycle rider... some of you know this already)

I knew this, having ridden one a couple of times, and I used to hang at UKRM for a while. Still
don't get why the word 'squid' though......

Oh, and why would you aspire to be an irresponsible rider anyhoo?

Shaun aRe

> Phil wrote:
>
> >>I've (part of me, anyway) put about 2,000 miles on my U.S.E. XCR and I love it. Especially good
> >>for the surprise hits that you can't plan for, and don't want to absorb the impact into your
> >>prostate.
> >>
> >>Paladin
> >

> > thats what im after
>
> So when you asked 'are the suspension type seat posts any good?', what you really meant was, 'I
> want to find somebody who has something good to say about a suspension seat post. It doesn't
> matter if lots of other people tell me they're ****, as long as one person says they're ok, that
> will justify my purchase'
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

alright, thats what i was thinking of when i asked if they were any good. went out this weekend on
the new bike. forks were great but there was still that annoying jarring of the prostate, as paladin
put it. should have bought full sus but couldnt afford it. i can afford a sus seat post however but
i wanted to see what other people who have bought them and used them thought of them. a lot of
people say fords are **** but it doesnt stop others buying them does it?

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > > thats what im after
> >
> > So when you asked 'are the suspension type seat posts any good?', what you really meant was, 'I
> > want to find somebody who has something good to say about a suspension seat post. It doesn't
> > matter if lots of other people tell me they're ****, as long as one person says they're ok, that
> > will justify my purchase'
> >
> > --
> > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
> >
> > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
> >

> alright, thats what i was thinking of when i asked if they were any good. went out this weekend on
> the new bike. forks were great but there was still that annoying jarring of the prostate, as
> paladin put it. should have bought full sus but couldnt afford it. i can afford a sus seat post
> however but i wanted to see what other people who have bought them and used them thought of them.
> a lot of people say fords are **** but it doesnt stop others buying them does it?

Don't take my word for it. Or even the oracle, JD's. Do some research from magazines, mtbr, ask at
shops, etc., and then take the plunge if that's the way you want to go. Most people to my knowledge
get down to a U.S.E., a Thudbuster, or a Rockshox. Other things to consider are riding style, ie,
anticipating the sharp little hits better, maybe look at the seat and its rails, look at tire
pressure, and so on. But I really love the 2" of protection I get, especially when I'm cookin along
and am surprised by a 3" rock or log that I hadn't anticipated and prepared for. One thing I had to
do was put a spring kit in it, since the cheesy elastomers would compress but not rebound.

I think the only down side is a) you have to pay for it, and b) they're a little heavier than a
high-end micro-light post. When I was in the market (about 3yrs ago), I was worried about pedal
efficiency, bobbing, all that stuff. I ride pretty hard, but jimminy, I can't notice any difference,
but maybe I'm just used to it.

hth, Paladin

Know who sells Taiwan-made parallelogram (ala Tamer Tricky ****) shock seatposts?

Overheard a discussion on Thudbusters and the Tricky ****. Buzz was that there were Taiwan-made and
China-manufacturered shockposts that were said to be more effective than Tamer's that were being
imported. Anybody know the make/model, and who sells 'em? Prices?

Also heard allegations of slow shipments from Tamer - some unhappy Tamer consumers. Thudbuster's
shock absorbing plastic (?) springs were allegedly popping out also.

Also, a Seattle-area machine shop is gearing up to make a more heavy-duty "Tricky ****" style
shockpost. Isn't Tamer's design protected by patents?